× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Newbie** Copy and paste transfer speed?

gtione
Aspirant

Newbie** Copy and paste transfer speed?

Hi all. Got my Nas yesterday so very new to all of this. I have set up my nas uning the wizard provided and all is working as far as I can see. I have one question at this point. If if copy and a paste a single file of say 100mb in size windows tells me that the transfer speed is 3.44 mb/sec. Is this normal or what transfer speed should I be getting for this type of action. Thank you in advance.

I have my main pc connected to my router via a homeplug system rated at 200mbps. According to the dashboard utility that comes with it it is doing 183 mbits/sec.

I apologise in advance my networking knowledge is very poor at this stage. Also does the amount of ram in the nas have any bearing on transfer speeds? Cheers
Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Newbie** Copy and paste transfer speed?

I'm not a fan of ethernet over power. I'd suspect that this isn't working as well as you'd like it to. 183 Mbit/s would indicate perhaps about 18 MB/s if you could saturate that connection.

Of course if your router is a 100 Mbit one then saturating would give you 10 MB/s (this of course assumes you're not doing other things at the same time.

The amount of RAM is not the issue here. It can make a small difference, but you're not getting close to speeds that should be achievable with this device.

What speeds do you get if you do a direct-connection (http://sphardy.com/web/directconnect) between the NAS and your PC?

What version of RAIDiator is on your ReadyNAS?

What brand and model disks are you using?

Welcome to the forum!
Message 2 of 5
gtione
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
I'm not a fan of ethernet over power. I'd suspect that this isn't working as well as you'd like it to. 183 Mbit/s would indicate perhaps about 18 MB/s if you could saturate that connection.

Of course if your router is a 100 Mbit one then saturating would give you 10 MB/s (this of course assumes you're not doing other things at the same time.

The amount of RAM is not the issue here. It can make a small difference, but you're not getting close to speeds that should be achievable with this device.

What speeds do you get if you do a direct-connection between the NAS and your PC?

What version of RAIDiator is on your ReadyNAS?

What brand and model disks are you using?

I have a Virgin media super hub which as far as I understand it supports upto gigabit lan speeds. Not tried a direct connection yet. Thx for the link by the way. I am not fimiliar enough yet with all this to mess around with all these settings. The last thing I wanna do is loose my internet connection or the like or am I blowing it out of proportion. If I can connect the nas directly to the pc that would be great. I have two ethernet ports on my motherboard if that matters. Would I need a switch or hub if i only use of of the eternet ports given that my Virgin super hub it connected to my pc.

By RAIDiator do you mean the software disc that came with the nas, if so that was 4.1.3. My disks are Hitachi 2TB 3.5" Deskstar Coolspin SATA-III 6GB/s Hard Drive - 5900rpm 32MB Cache - HDS5C3020ALA632. I put two of these in there. Thanks for your help.

P.s in the mean time would i be advised to buy a 10m cable to run directly from the Virgin box to the pc to bypass the Develo powerplug system to guage the results that way?

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you for the response.
Message 3 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

gtione wrote:

I have a Virgin media super hub which as far as I understand it supports upto gigabit lan speeds. Not tried a direct connection yet. Thx for the link by the way. I am not fimiliar enough yet with all this to mess around with all these settings. The last thing I wanna do is loose my internet connection or the like or am I blowing it out of proportion. If I can connect the nas directly to the pc that would be great. I have two ethernet ports on my motherboard if that matters. Would I need a switch or hub if i only use of of the eternet ports given that my Virgin super hub it connected to my pc.

Doing a direct-connection, ethernet cable running direct from NAS to PC you wouldn't need a hub. Of course that wouldn't give you internet access (a direct connection's only meant to be used troubleshooting) and I should add that your NAS won't saturate a gigabit connection. Take a look at ReadyNAS Performance Expectations
gtione wrote:

By RAIDiator do you mean the software disc that came with the nas, if so that was 4.1.3.

No, the software you run on your PC is called RAIDar (http://www.readynas.com/downloads). If you open RAIDar and look under the Info (far right) column what number do you see?
gtione wrote:

My disks are Hitachi 2TB 3.5" Deskstar Coolspin SATA-III 6GB/s Hard Drive - 5900rpm 32MB Cache - HDS5C3020ALA632. I put two of these in there. Thanks for your help.

That disk is not on the compatibility list. It's possible there may be a compatibility issue.
gtione wrote:

P.s in the mean time would i be advised to buy a 10m cable to run directly from the Virgin box to the pc to bypass the Develo powerplug system to guage the results that way?

That would be the simplest solution.
Message 4 of 5
gtione
Aspirant

Thank you i will do some more homework on this.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements