× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Newbie Question - Streaming Itunes from NAS

AZengineer
Aspirant

Newbie Question - Streaming Itunes from NAS

I have a ReadyNAS Pro runnning RAIDitaor 4.2.27.

I have all my iTunes music stored on the NAS

I have a Sony Bravia TV (KDL48NX700) connected to my home theatre and also to whole house audio.

On the NAS I have configured ReadyDLNA with the share folder that contains the music.

On the Sony TV I can see The ReadyNAS Pro under all the categories; Pictures; Music and Video.

When I select Music, I can see all the names of the albums, artists, etc.  When I choose an artist or album, it says " no content to display.

I know this must be a newbie questions but I would really like to get this to work, any helpful advice?

Thanks

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
AZengineer
Aspirant

Re: Newbie Question - Streaming Itunes from NAS

I think this is the ANSWER:
I tried everything to make this work and finally stumbled upon what I think is the answer.

ITunes normally stores songs (files) as an M4A format.  You can change the import format under EDIT>Preferences.

The Sony device wants to see an MP3 file in order to show it/play it on the Bravia TV. 

You can highlight EACH song on EVERY album in iTunes and then (Right click) replicate each M4A file to an MP3 file.  Then in ITunes you will have (2) Two copies of each file.

You can systematiclly replicate each file to an MP3 and then drag it out of the iTunes folder to a new folder so that the Sony device can see it.

This is a very tedious and time consuming way to stream music via the TV. 

Conclusion is to buy the new Apple TV (it can see M4A files on the NAS) and connect it to the whole house audio

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi AZengineer,

Have you tried accessing these files on another DLNA client like PC, Mobile phone? Try to test by putting a simple .mp3 file or any of the ff. wav, wma, pcm, ogg, m4a, flac, aac and see if you can access any of these files. If it still won't let you play the said media files, try disabling and re-enabling the ReadyDLNA function in the ReadyNAS frontview and re-add the media folder where these files are saved. 

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

BrianL

NETGEAR Community

Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

You can also try rescanning the existing media folders (there is a control for that on the streaming services page).

Message 3 of 6
AZengineer
Aspirant

I have tried all the solutions that you both have posed and I still get the same problem listed.

Other possible solutions?

Message 4 of 6
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi AZengineer,

Ensure that all media type (photos/videos/pictures) are all ticked or selected in all the shares that will be streamed or accessed through DLNA. You may want to try it on another DLNA enabled device like Smart Phone, Gaming Console or a PC (Windows or MAC).

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 6
AZengineer
Aspirant

I think this is the ANSWER:
I tried everything to make this work and finally stumbled upon what I think is the answer.

ITunes normally stores songs (files) as an M4A format.  You can change the import format under EDIT>Preferences.

The Sony device wants to see an MP3 file in order to show it/play it on the Bravia TV. 

You can highlight EACH song on EVERY album in iTunes and then (Right click) replicate each M4A file to an MP3 file.  Then in ITunes you will have (2) Two copies of each file.

You can systematiclly replicate each file to an MP3 and then drag it out of the iTunes folder to a new folder so that the Sony device can see it.

This is a very tedious and time consuming way to stream music via the TV. 

Conclusion is to buy the new Apple TV (it can see M4A files on the NAS) and connect it to the whole house audio

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements