× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Newbie Upgrade for Ultra 2 from OS4 to OS6

Azkal
Aspirant

Newbie Upgrade for Ultra 2 from OS4 to OS6

I have searched the old threads but couldnt find the upgrade for my specific model ( Ultra 2 ).

Recently I switched ISP and I am unable to modify the ports on the provided router. This has then caused me problems accessing my Ultra 2 from outside the home network.

I stumbled upon this forum and would like to seek help if what I will be doing is correct.

I plan on using the 3 step upgrade using a spare blank HDD

"OS6 in 3 Steps: 1. Download pre modified IMG, (R4toR6_6.9.5.bin)
2. Upgrade firmware in Frontview 4.2 (with above file)
3. Reboot & factory default via boot menu"

My Ultra 2 is running RAIDiator 4.2.22 with Bios of 09/08/2010 ReadyNAS-ProUltra2 V1.4

Where do I find the most updated BIOS? is this needed before the upgrade?

Thanks in advance

Model: RNDU2000|ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@Azkal wrote:

Recently I switched ISP and I am unable to modify the ports on the provided router. This has then caused me problems accessing my Ultra 2 from outside the home network.

That's kind of an odd reason to convert the NAS.  Can you give more information on how you are accessing the NAS from outside, and what ports you need to forward?

@Azkal wrote:

I'd suggest this:

1. BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP
  2. Upload PREPR4TOR6_0.1-x86.bin as an add-on using the ReadyNAS web gui, but do not reboot afterwards (avoids the need to do manual factory resets)
  3. Upload R4toR6_6.9.5.bin using the ReadyNAS web gui firmware update
  4. After you upload the addon/firmware and reboot, it will update the firmware and start a factory default. 

Though your method should also work, this just saves the need to do a reset from the boot menu.

Either way, you won't be able to migrate your current array.  You'll need to back it up, reconfigure the NAS, and then restore the data from the backup. 

@Azkal wrote:

You don't need to update the Bios - OS-6 will run fine without doing that.  However, if you want to update the bios, it's easier to do that before the conversion.

Iinstalling this as an add-on will update it  http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/x86/4.2/BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8

All Replies
bedlam1
Prodigy

I suggest you read ALL of this thread (it is for Pro 6) but equally applies to Ultra too

Upgrade Bios in particular

LINK

Message 2 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Azkal wrote:

That's kind of an odd reason to convert the NAS.  Can you give more information on how you are accessing the NAS from outside, and what ports you need to forward?

@Azkal wrote:

I'd suggest this:

1. BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP
  2. Upload PREPR4TOR6_0.1-x86.bin as an add-on using the ReadyNAS web gui, but do not reboot afterwards (avoids the need to do manual factory resets)
  3. Upload R4toR6_6.9.5.bin using the ReadyNAS web gui firmware update
  4. After you upload the addon/firmware and reboot, it will update the firmware and start a factory default. 

Though your method should also work, this just saves the need to do a reset from the boot menu.

Either way, you won't be able to migrate your current array.  You'll need to back it up, reconfigure the NAS, and then restore the data from the backup. 

@Azkal wrote:

You don't need to update the Bios - OS-6 will run fine without doing that.  However, if you want to update the bios, it's easier to do that before the conversion.

Iinstalling this as an add-on will update it  http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/x86/4.2/BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin

Message 3 of 8
Azkal
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@Azkal wrote:

As of now, my ISP doesnt allow port forwarding or manipulating the ports of the provided modem. They also dont allow bridged mode of the router. My ISP is also using CGNAT so I think the external IP is shared with other subscribers.

Right now, I can't access my NAS from outside the home network. Thus unable to use Transmission remote and FTP. If I upgrade to OS6, then I will have access to my files using ReadyCloud from anywhere?

Thanks @bedlam1 and @StephenB !

Message 4 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Azkal wrote:

If I upgrade to OS6, then I will have access to my files using ReadyCloud from anywhere?

Yes (assuming your ISP is running IPv4).

Another option (with OS6) is to deploy ZeroTier (which shouldn't need port forwarding).  But you'd either need to install and configure that from the linux command line or deploy it on a PC, and set up the PC to bridge the ZeroTier SDN to your home network - which is a bit tricky.

Message 5 of 8
Azkal
Aspirant

Upgrade went well so far. Upon log on, I got a message that my current version is 6.9.5 Hotfix 1 with a new version of 6.10.0.

How does the upgrade of new firmwares go for OS6? Unlike on OS4 where i need to download and upload the firmwarem do I just upgrade when an alert pops up and click update? 

Message 6 of 8
TeknoJnky
Hero

once your up on os6, then you upgrade normally either through the automatic download/update, or you can manually update with a local file (same as adding an app).

basically, you can completely forget about 4.x and pretend your device came with os6.

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@TeknoJnky wrote:

once your up on os6, then you upgrade normally either through the automatic download/update, or you can manually update with a local file (same as adding an app).

basically, you can completely forget about 4.x and pretend your device came with os6.

You also can choose how aggressive you want to be about taking new updates.  Options are "beta", "stable" and "long-term stable".

Since you have no access to paid support, I suggest considering using the most conservative path ("long-term stable").  Also, you might want to check here before installing an update, just to see what issues might have surfaced.

Note that hot-fixes are automatically installed in the background (as you've already seen with hot-fix 1).

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements