× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Newbie question, can't boot RNDU6000

patdman
Aspirant

Newbie question, can't boot RNDU6000

I just purchased a ReadyNas Ultra 6 last week and have finally found the time to try get it up and running.
However, when I plug in my HDD (WD20EARS-00S8B1, on HCL) I get an error on the box saying "Could not mount root RAID d", and the rest of the error message is cut off.

If I open up RAIDar, it finds my NAS and shows me an error saying "corrupt root"

So I see the probable error(s) being one or more of the following;

ReadyNAS firmware needs an upgrade
HDD is the right model, but not the right firmware.
ReadyNAS is corrupt

Now, I've looked into upgrading the firmware on the ReadyNAS and it appears I can't do this until I have an acceptable HDD in there.
If my HDD won't work until the firmware upgrade, then I'm in a hard place.
I do have the option to go out and buy another HDD (Thinking 3TB from the HCL as that's where I will end up down the track :)) but I'll be spending money before I have it which I don't like to do...best to just wait until payday 😉

I can't see anything online about upgrading the firmware on these WD Caviar Green disks, so I'm starting to think the firmware is directly related to the model number of the disk. Can anyone provide some insight here?

How can I tell if the ReadyNAS might be a dud unit? I've taken it apart (very carefully) and checked that the RAM was seated correctly, and everything looks rock solid (took out the RAM and put it back in just to be sure)

Any help is most appreciated.

Cheers,

Pat.
Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Newbie question, can't boot RNDU6000

Was the disk a used disk?

Please try a factory default using the boot menu: http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_do_i_use_the_boot_menu

If that works, I would then update to the latest firmware (reboot when prompted) and then do another factory reset to get a clean setup on that firmware.

Welcome to the forum!
Message 2 of 5
patdman
Aspirant

Thanks for the welcome 🙂
The disk is in fact a used disk, so it currently has a partition & data, etc, but I'm expecting it to be wiped clean 🙂
I'll give the factory default boot a try and see how that goes.

Cheers,

Pat.
Message 3 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If factory reset doesn't work remove the disk, hook it up to a PC, delete the partitions, put disk back in the NAS and do a factory reset.
Message 4 of 5
patdman
Aspirant

OK, so the factory reset looks to have worked, now I just need to update the firmware.
If I want to add other disks with pre-existing partitions, is that OK now? Or should I remove all partitions before installing a disk?
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements