× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Newly added second drive, how do i know its working

jake1000x
Aspirant

Newly added second drive, how do i know its working

Hi,

Just installed a second hard drive into my RN102. I have a 3TB WD red in bay 1 which is my main drive with all the data on. I installed a 4TB WD red in bay 2, it has done the resync process. Set to X-Raid, before the install the raid was JBOD but has changed to Raid 1. This is set so the 4TB mirrors the 3TB correct? (My data will be backed-up/protected)

My main question is how do i know if the 4TB drive is copying the 3TB drive, does it just start mirroring automatically? How do i see how much it has copied so far?

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 6
lundmilo
Luminary

Re: Newly added second drive, how do i know its working

@jake1000x wrote:

Hi,

Just installed a second hard drive into my RN102. I have a 3TB WD red in bay 1 which is my main drive with all the data on. I installed a 4TB WD red in bay 2, it has done the resync process. Set to X-Raid, before the install the raid was JBOD but has changed to Raid 1. This is set so the 4TB mirrors the 3TB correct? (My data will be backed-up/protected)

My main question is how do i know if the 4TB drive is copying the 3TB drive, does it just start mirroring automatically? How do i see how much it has copied so far?

When the new drive is inserted the NAS will automatically start the resync process which is actually copying the data. Saince the NAS has changed status to RAID 1 the system is running with redundancy. The system can not run RAID 1 with only one disc.

Message 2 of 6
Hopchen
Prodigy

It sounds like the sync process went just fine, given the fact that you see a RAID1 in the GUI now.

If you go the GUI --> "System" --> "Volumes" then you should be able to see a sync process here. If there is no progess bar here and all you see is two blue disks marked as RAID1, well then all is indicating that the sync well. You can even it out by looking at the logs ("System" --> "Logs").

Message 3 of 6
jake1000x
Aspirant

Oh right, i didnt know the sync process was the actual copying of data disk to disk, i thought it was some sort of set up or formatting that was needed. yes the sync process happened when i installed the 4TB drive, it took around 7/8 hours and there was a progression bar in the volumes tab. I think all is good then, i just wanted a screen with how much free space was on the 4TB but i dont think i can. 

If my 3TB fails, is it just a case of putting the 4TB in bay 1 and thats it, the NAS is back to normal with all my data?

Cheers for replies. 

Message 4 of 6
Hopchen
Prodigy

So, all looks fine then 🙂

Firstly, the NAS will not use the remaining 1TB of the 4TB disk. Because the original disk is 3TB, the NAS will only use 3TB of the second disk (it mirrors the disks).

If a disk fails (either of the two), then there is no need to move anything around. Your NAS will continue to work just fine. You simply just replace the failed disk.

Message 5 of 6
omicron_persei8
Luminary

But please don't confuse redundancy and backup. Your data is not backed up, it's mirrored. It does protect you against disk failure but doesn't protect you against cryptolocker, accidential share deletion, accidental share deletion, accidential file modification, volume corruption, and other catastrophic failures.
RAID1 provide redundancy, which is nice.
But if you have important data, I advise you to have an external backup of it.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements