× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: No IP Address - ReadyNAS 214

callenan83
Aspirant

No IP Address - ReadyNAS 214

Hi

I got my ReadyNAS 214 a few months ago and i have been having troubles with it being slow and also dropping the IP Address.

I mainly use it as a PLEX Server but today it dropped out and after restarting it, it wont pick up an IP Address.

Other devices on my network are fine.  I have rebooted the router, disconnected everything, tried new cables, new ethernet port and restarted the NAS and i am still not getting an IP Address.

I've also noticed that when i reconnect the power it sometimes doesn't work ... 

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 8
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @callenan83

Welcome to the Community!

Your RN214 might be experiencing issues on it's NIC. To check on that kindly shutdown your RN214 for a few minutes (this is to cool down the NIC which is the issue), then power on the NAS and  it should get IP address once more and get back to working normally.

I would also suggest updating to ReadyNAS OS 6.9.4-T15 Beta wherein a fix has been provided for this issue.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 8
callenan83
Aspirant

Thanks Marc,

I turned it off and left it off for a while and turned it back on and it has worked. 

I am in the process of updating the firmware as suggested however if the issue is that the NIC is overheating, how will a firmware fix this?

I have also noticed that since rebooting the network traffic to it seems to be much slower than normal ... Would this have anything to do with the NIC overheating?

Message 3 of 8
callenan83
Aspirant

Hi Marc,

Just finished updating to the new Firmware and the fan is on high and its got No IP Address again...

I'll turn it off and wait again.

Message 4 of 8
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That is what the engineering is currently working on, it seems that the issue is not hardware related that is why they included it on the BETA release.

Rebooting the NAS and waiting for a few minutes is the current workaround, NAS getting rebooted might get the issue but the BETA should help eliminate that.

Regards

Message 5 of 8
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @callenan83

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution.

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 6 of 8
callenan83
Aspirant

Hi Marc_V

While i understand there is no solution for the no IP issue when the NAS drive is restarted, i am now having issues since upgrading the firmware where the ANS drive just continues to "think" and i can't access it.  Pressing the power button doesn't show the IP Address, the LCD is just blank.  I am finding this really unstable.  I am pretty much having to turn this off every few days.

Can i roll back to the more stable firmware?  or is there something else wrong with my NAS drive?

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 7 of 8
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

HI @callenan83

NAS Drive? It seems that you might be having issues with your Disks if this is the case. Does restarting your NAS wil let it acquire an IP address? You may want to check on the logs (volume.log, disk_info.log, smart_history.log) and see if you have any failing disks. Getting the OS partition full might also contribute to the issue.

I would also suggest contacting NETGEAR Support at this time so we can get assistance from the experts.

Regards

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements