× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No Network Link - No network connector LEDs - ReadyNAS NV+ (RND4250)

mjelic
Follower

No Network Link - No network connector LEDs - ReadyNAS NV+ (RND4250)

I think I know what the problem is, but not sure of what solutions are available.

I had a lightning strike that travelled down my cable network. It fried my modem, router, gigabit switch, TV and even my Laptop, all connected to ethernet at the time. So was my ReadyNAS, but it wasn't powered up at the time.

I finally get my computer replacement and no try to see if the ReadyNAS is operational. It fires up OK, goes through a long File System check (I hadn't had it up for a while) which all passes. All lights nice and solid for all 4 drives. Blue power light solid. Only issue is that the screen is stating "No Network Link"... I jump onto these forums and check a few posts and one of them asks if the network activity lights on the back (which I didn't think to check) are on. I check the back of the unit to see if any network lights are on and they are off. Doesn't matter what I plug in there.

So, I'm assuming it got fried as well?  Time to call the insurance company again?  Is the unit repairable at all? Any other tests I can run?

Thanks in advance. Mark.

Model: ReadyNAS RND4250|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: No Network Link - No network connector LEDs - ReadyNAS NV+ (RND4250)

@mjelic wrote:

I had a lightning strike that travelled down my cable network. It fried my modem, router, gigabit switch, TV and even my Laptop, all connected to ethernet at the time. So was my ReadyNAS, but it wasn't powered up at the time.

So, I'm assuming it got fried as well? 

I think that's likely.  

You could confirm that using RAIDar on a PC.  You'd remove the disks with the NAS powered down (labeling by slot), and then power up.  If the NAS is fully operational you'll see the "no disks" status on the LCD, and RAIDar will also discover the NAS and report that status.

The system isn't repairable (and given it's age, you'd be better off replacing it).

Are there files on the system that you need to offload?  There is some good news - it appears that the lightning didn't fry the disks or the core of the system board.  If it had, it could have damaged the RAID array.  So there are ways to offload the data.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: No Network Link - No network connector LEDs - ReadyNAS NV+ (RND4250)

@mjelic wrote:

So, I'm assuming it got fried as well? 

I think that's likely.  

You could confirm that using RAIDar on a PC.  You'd remove the disks with the NAS powered down (labeling by slot), and then power up.  If the NAS is fully operational you'll see the "no disks" status on the LCD, and RAIDar will also discover the NAS and report that status.

The system isn't repairable (and given it's age, you'd be better off replacing it).

Are there files on the system that you need to offload?  There is some good news - it appears that the lightning didn't fry the disks or the core of the system board.  If it had, it could have damaged the RAID array.  So there are ways to offload the data.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements