× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: No SMART+ Information?

afflab
Aspirant

No SMART+ Information?

I have been collecting Smart+ data on the drives in my ReadyNAS every 6ish months for about six years now. Smart+ info got me to replace one of the drives (2TB WD red in raid1 with light-medium usage) a couple years ago, and the other is old enough now that I may just replace it preemptively....

But yesterday I went to the "status->health" tab in frontview, clicked the SMART+ buttons and for both drives I get an empty page that says:

SMART Information for Disk 1

Model:
Serial:
Firmware:

...and...

SMART Information for Disk 2

Model:
Serial:
Firmware:

Others with this problem have found that their system times were way off, and a re-sync with a different NTP server solved the issue. Others upgraded firmware, cleared browser cache/rebooted, and this solved the issue. My system time was correct but i synced with a new NTP anyway, and made sure firmware was current, cleared browser cache...rebooted everything...same issue. I've also read that there may be compatibility issues with RAIDiator (even though it's current at 4.2.31), SMART, and drives? I'm fine replacing drives on a time-based schedule, but I would like to monitor with SMART if I still can. Any thoughts much appreciated!

Model: ReadyNASRNDP2000|ReadyNAS Pro 2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@afflab wrote:

I have been collecting Smart+ data on the drives in my ReadyNAS every 6ish months for about six years now.

I'll start by saying that this is a good practice.  I also recommend that you enable email alerts, and that you schedule regular scrubs on the volume maintenance tab.  I run the scrubs quarterly.

@afflab wrote:

But yesterday I went to the "status->health" tab in frontview, clicked the SMART+ buttons and for both drives I get an empty page ...

This has been happening for a long time, and it is browser-specific. 

The pop-up screen shows the SMART+ stats if you use IE-11, FireFox, or Edge. 

It's empty if you use Chrome.  (I just confirmed this - the browsers are all running on a Windows 10 PC, the ReadyNAS is also running 4.2.31 firmware).

So just use a different browser.  You can also download the log zip file, as the SMART stats are all in there.  Or you can run smartctl from ssh.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@afflab wrote:

I have been collecting Smart+ data on the drives in my ReadyNAS every 6ish months for about six years now.

I'll start by saying that this is a good practice.  I also recommend that you enable email alerts, and that you schedule regular scrubs on the volume maintenance tab.  I run the scrubs quarterly.

@afflab wrote:

But yesterday I went to the "status->health" tab in frontview, clicked the SMART+ buttons and for both drives I get an empty page ...

This has been happening for a long time, and it is browser-specific. 

The pop-up screen shows the SMART+ stats if you use IE-11, FireFox, or Edge. 

It's empty if you use Chrome.  (I just confirmed this - the browsers are all running on a Windows 10 PC, the ReadyNAS is also running 4.2.31 firmware).

So just use a different browser.  You can also download the log zip file, as the SMART stats are all in there.  Or you can run smartctl from ssh.

Message 2 of 3
afflab
Aspirant

Glad it was something simple...thank you!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements