× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No Volume exists / Disks 3&4 dead

Funky_B
Follower

No Volume exists / Disks 3&4 dead

I have a RNDU4000 running firmware RAIDiator-x86 4.2.31 that's been having issues.  Disks 3&4 showed up as dead, the system shutdown and I'm now unable to access shares due to a No volume exists error.

I've tried replacing Disks 3&4 with 2 known working disks but everything shows as dead so there's likely a hardware issue.  Disks 1&2 are showing as ok and I'm able to access the admin panel.

I have now purchased a service contract (to see if the volume can be rebuilt) but I'm unable to link the contract to the serial number.  A call to support is escalating this issue so I'm now in a holding pattern.  

Is it possible to rebuild this volume on another system, and if I purchase a service contract that can't be used for this device may the contract be cancelled and I get a refund?

Model: RNDU4000 (ReadyNAS Ultra 4)|READYNAS ULTRA 4 (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: No Volume exists / Disks 3&4 dead

@Funky_B wrote:

I've tried replacing Disks 3&4 with 2 known working disks but everything shows as dead so there's likely a hardware issue.  Disks 1&2 are showing as ok and I'm able to access the admin panel.

Normal XRAID and RAID-5 are single-redundancy RAID modes.  Neither can recover from two disk failures.  So simply replacing these disks with two new ones won't tell you much - the volume can't be rebuilt unless you can read (or copy) at least one of the two failed disks.

Note also that the linux drivers can sometimes declare a SATA port as down.  If that has happened you need to power down the system (perhaps even removing power for a bit) before trying a restart.  But there's no point in doing that with two disks.

Instead try powering down the NAS and removing all disks.  Label the original ones by slot, so you know the order.  Then do a fresh install using one of the two replacement disks in slot one.  Then check that the system can boot with that disk in any slot (powering down the NAS before you move the disk).  That will check that the SATA interface in each slot is working correctly. 

While you are doing that, test the original disks 3 & 4 in a Windows PC using the vendor tools (Seatools for Seagate, Lifeguard for Western Digital), and see if they pass.  You can connect the disks either with SATA or with a USB adapter/dock.  If the disks are readable, it might be possible to clone them to the replacement drives (using a sector by sector cloning mode).  That might help RAID recovery.

@Funky_B wrote:

Is it possible to rebuild this volume on another system, 

One option is to do RAID recovery on your own (using R-studio or ReclaiMe).  That won't work disks 3 & 4 have are unreadable.

@Funky_B wrote:

if I purchase a service contract that can't be used for this device may the contract be cancelled and I get a refund?

That would be up to Netgear of course.  Data Recovery (which is likely needed) isn't covered by the normal service contract anyway.  It has it's own terms, and there is no refund if the attempt to recover data fails.  https://kb.netgear.com/69/ReadyNAS-Data-Recovery-Diagnostics-Scope-of-Service

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements