× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: No access to admin webinterface or SSH after upgrade to 6.4.1

miels
Tutor

No access to admin webinterface or SSH after upgrade to 6.4.1

Fyi: I've already created a support ticket (#26151441) for the following (support has expired but tried anyway though, since this doesn't seem to be the first occurence of this issue), but perhaps there are more ideas in the communicy. Plus I can post a fix afterwards (assuming I will be able to fix this).

What has happened: I have a RNDU4000 ReadyNAS Ultra 4 running OS6. It has been running 6.2.3 (if I recall correctly) fine for quite some time.

Recently I upgraded to OS 6.4.1, resulting in some issues:

• admin webinterface isn't accessable anymore. When I visit the IP of the device (as shown on the LCD) Chrome returns an error message "ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED". I've also tried IE. 
  • I can't SSH into the device anymore. When I connect using WinSCP over SFTP to IP:22 (what did work before the update) I get the following message
    The server rejected SFTP connection, but it listens for FTP connections.
    I've also tried FTP protocol (an port 21 and 22), but that didn't work either. Fyi: I had configured SSH to only accept key authentication. 

Other services of the NAS do work: I can access shares via SMB/CIFS, and I can access add-ons.

After the initial update I have waited for over 12 hours, but no change. I have rebooted the device a couple times too, but no luck there either.

I also noticed LEDs for bay 1, 2, 3 AND 4 are on. That is remarkable, since I've only installed drives in bay 1, 2 and 3.

I'm considering an OS reinstall, but I'll wait for support to reply first. Suggestions are appreciated!

To be complete (haven't mentioned this to support yet): I'm running the following apps: Anti virus, Symform, SabNZBd, Plex.

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You updated from 6.2.3 Beta 8 to 6.4.1.

The security certificate for the admin web interface was a little messed up. I fixed that and I think the apache service has now started.

Please check if the problems you were having are now resolved.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 11

All Replies
miels
Tutor

Update: First reply of support: device isn't covered by support anymore, please pay for support :(. Kindly asked for some more advice.

Message 2 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@miels wrote:

Update: First reply of support: device isn't covered by support anymore, please pay for support :(. Kindly asked for some more advice.

Well, OS6 on the ultra isn't supported at all - its actually surprising that they offered paid support.  Perhaps someone here from netgear will offer to go in remotely and take a quick look (sometimes they do).

Since SMB is still working, I suggest you make (or update) a backup.  You might need a factory reset to get the system running again.

Message 3 of 11
miels
Tutor

Unfortunately OS Reinstall hasn't worked...

Is there a way to boot into Tech Support mode and access the device via telnet by myself, so I can check some (probably first apache) logs?

Message 4 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You updated from 6.2.3 Beta 8 to 6.4.1.

The security certificate for the admin web interface was a little messed up. I fixed that and I think the apache service has now started.

Please check if the problems you were having are now resolved.

Message 5 of 11
miels
Tutor

Yes, apache is functioning again now! My eternal gratitude :). You saved me so much time and stress!

Interesting though how the certificates have gotten messed up. I do had a custom signed certificate in place, that worked perfectly fine before the upgrade. No clue how it got messed up.

Another interesting thing: After the update I couldn't login via SSH either (I had only enabled key authentication). Since you got apache back up I could enter the Admin interface, where I noticed that the SSH service was disabled entirely. I guess this was a result of the update process. Which is interesting: When something goes wrong with the update process -like it did in my case- you're completely locked out. If I'd still have SSH I probably could have fixed this myself (so I wouldn't have to bother you in the first place ;))

Anyway, my lesson learned is that I'll revert certificates back to stock before performing any upgrade in the future.

Message 6 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The enabling of SSH wouldn't be reverted by a firmware update. However custom changes you make via SSH certainly could lead to unexpected issues. We can't allow for every possible kind of unsupported modification which is one reason why using SSH is done at your own risk.

Message 7 of 11
miels
Tutor

I understand. Thank you for your clarification. Might have something to do with my manually uploaded private key.

I can imagine things like that happen when specific manual changes have been made. Besides reverting certificates back to stock before a future update I'll also reset SSH to stock settings.

Message 8 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

As of 6.4.1 you can upload your own SSH key via the UI. I would recommend uploading the key via that method.

Message 9 of 11
miels
Tutor

Ah great, thanks for the advice! Sounds more future proof indeed :).

Message 10 of 11
sbmcd
Aspirant

I am having the same issue having upgraded the firmware - shares are still visible, as is the device through readycloud - however local admin page not accessible with a 500 error. Grateful for assistance. RN104 model

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements