× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No free space on RN312

ChiffaNe
Tutor

No free space on RN312

i am suddenly unable to do any changes on my Readynas 312 running the latest OS (6.10.7). The issue manifested itself today when I was trying to rename some files using sftp and now I am unable to create or rename any files or folders on the NAS, neither on the system or data partitions and neither via ssh, sftp or admin weblogin. I have checked btrfs df and dh and seem to have enough room still available (around 1G on the system and 60g on the data one)

Message 1 of 7
ChiffaNe
Tutor

Re: No free space on RN312

After multiple reboots and deleting a bunch of small files in dropbox it seemed to recover but I decided to run a volume balance. After about 15 mins the nas went offline. Unfortunately it’s in a remote location (different country) and it will be some time before I can get someone to do a hard reboot. Any ideas what else I can do? The router doesn’t see it connected as well. 

can it be because of volume balance and might it recover by itself? Or should I ask someone to go and do a hard reboot?

Message 2 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@ChiffaNe wrote:

can it be because of volume balance and might it recover by itself? Or should I ask someone to go and do a hard reboot?

It could have crashed - it'd be useful have someone go and capture what is on the LCD screen (and then do a hard reboot).  Then download the logs, and see if you can find any disk or btrfs errors.

There could be something corrupted with the file system - if you are generally remote, it might be a better plan for you back it up, do a factory default, and then restore the system from the backup.  

Message 3 of 7
ChiffaNe
Tutor

thanks for the advice, I will ask someone to powercycle it. It doesn’t have an lcd display, so no help there. And I guess I need to start shopping around for a new one to be safe. If push comes to shove everything really important is backed up elsewhere too. 

Message 4 of 7
ChiffaNe
Tutor

So i had someone try a reboot and it didn’t help. After about 10 mins the NAS was visible in the router attached devices but not accessible via ssh or web gui and pulseway monitoring didn’t come up. 

what would be my next steps to recover and how can I explain them to someone who has no idea about computers? 🤣🤣🤣 I should’ve brought it with me when I was moving 😂

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@ChiffaNe wrote:

So i had someone try a reboot and it didn’t help. After about 10 mins the NAS was visible in the router attached devices but not accessible via ssh or web gui and pulseway monitoring didn’t come up. 

It would be useful if they could install RAIDar on a PC, and then check the status there after another boot attempt.  https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads  RAIDar can run a diagnostic (assuming the NAS is semi-operational), and if things aren't too horrible it could also download the log zip.

One option is to use paid support from Netgear - that would require the person on site to boot up the NAS in tech support mode.

Other options would likely require testing disks in a PC, or using something like ReclaiMe to recover data.  That might be difficult to manage off-site when working with someone with limited tech skills.

I guess the person there could also ship the NAS to you???

Message 6 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

If you don't already have a VPN, having somebody install TeamViewer or similar on a PC so you can remotely use that PC for "local" access is probably the best next step.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements