× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No free space on ReadyNAS 3312

IceMailMan
Aspirant

No free space on ReadyNAS 3312

Hi I have ReadyNAS 3312 with 6 Disks: 10TB+10TB+10TB+10TB+10TB+10TB in RAID-5. I create 1 LUN 40TB and everything works fine. Now I add 2 new disk (12TB) and change to (X-RAID). That give me DATA=54TB, and that's OK. But when I go in iSCSI menu and I like to create LUN it show me that Maximum Size: 0GB What is I missing? Regards Runar G
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: No free space on ReadyNAS 3312

I believe that Netgear doesn't allow more than 90% of the space to be allocated for iSCSI LUNs.  Though it is possible that they have reduced that threshold over time.

How much free space is on the volume now?

Are snapshots enabled on the 40 TB LUN?

Also, what firmware are you running?

@IceMailMan wrote:
Hi I have ReadyNAS 3312 with 6 Disks: 10TB+10TB+10TB+10TB+10TB+10TB in RAID-5.  ... Now I add 2 new disk (12TB) and change to (X-RAID). That give me DATA=54TB.

2x12TB+6x10TB XRAID should give you RAID-6 (which does give a volume size of ~54.5 TiB).  Note you are wasting 2 TB of capacity in each of the 12 TB drives if this is your mode.  With dual redundancy, you waste space unless the biggest 4 drives in the volume are the same size.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

I believe that Netgear doesn't allow more than 90% of the space to be allocated for iSCSI LUNs.  Though it is possible that they have reduced that threshold over time.

How much free space is on the volume now?

Are snapshots enabled on the 40 TB LUN?

Also, what firmware are you running?

@IceMailMan wrote:
Hi I have ReadyNAS 3312 with 6 Disks: 10TB+10TB+10TB+10TB+10TB+10TB in RAID-5.  ... Now I add 2 new disk (12TB) and change to (X-RAID). That give me DATA=54TB.

2x12TB+6x10TB XRAID should give you RAID-6 (which does give a volume size of ~54.5 TiB).  Note you are wasting 2 TB of capacity in each of the 12 TB drives if this is your mode.  With dual redundancy, you waste space unless the biggest 4 drives in the volume are the same size.

Message 2 of 3
IceMailMan
Aspirant

Hi

My coworker did a snapshot long time ago and it was eating up all the space. Now I deleted the snapshot and I am geting my space back. 🙂

Regards

Runar G

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements