× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: No volume exists

Issam99999
Aspirant

No volume exists

Hi,

Suddenly, I could't access my data on RN214, 

I found the following error message on its web page:

"Volume is inactive or dead"

With knwoing, that it's working on RAID 5 system. now all my data has been gone. 
any help? 
please find the attatched photos to get more details: 

Screen Shot 2019-03-31 at 4.39.11 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-03-31 at 4.49.14 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-03-31 at 4.50.07 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-03-31 at 4.54.26 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-03-31 at 4.54.50 PM.png

Also please check some pictures might help below: 

Screen Shot 2019-03-31 at 4.39.11 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-03-31 at 4.49.14 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-03-31 at 4.50.07 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-03-31 at 4.51.39 PM.png

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 8
Hopchen
Prodigy

Hi

Would you mind downloading logs and upload them to Google link or similar. PM me the link and I can take a look for you.

Cheers
Message 2 of 8
Issam99999
Aspirant

thank you for your response. 

please find below the shared link for the log files,

<Redacted>

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Issam99999 wrote:

please find below the shared link for the log files,

@Hopchen said "PM" ->  "Private Message". That's done with the envelope icon in the upper right of the forum page.

Don't post your full logs publicly - there is some private stuff in there.

I redacted your link, but sent it to Hopchen in a PM first on your behalf.

Message 4 of 8
Hopchen
Prodigy

Hi @Issam99999 

Thanks for sending over the logs.

The reason for the "Remove Inactive Volumes" error is because the data volume cannot mount. In your case, this happens because the data raid is not running at all.

Personalities : [raid0] [raid1] [raid10] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]
md1 : active raid6 sdd2[3] sdc2[2] sdb2[1] sda2[0]
1047424 blocks super 1.2 level 6, 64k chunk, algorithm 2 [4/4] [UUUU] <<<=== Linux swap space raid

md0 : active raid1 sda1[5] sdb1[1] sdd1[4] sdc1[2]
4190208 blocks super 1.2 [4/4] [UUUU] <<<=== ReadyNAS OS raid

<<<=== Missing data raid (md127)

You have two dodgy disks in the NAS and this is the reason. Both those disks were kicked from the raid. This will result in a double disk failure in a raid5, rending the raid "dead". Disk 4 stated to show signs of errors around the 3rd of March and disk 1 started to fail around the 16th of March. Errors on those disks increased as time went on and the disks became worse and worse until this happened in the space of a day.

[19/03/29 16:43:08 PDT] err:disk:LOGMSG_ZFS_DISK_STATUS_CHANGED Disk in channel 4 (Internal) changed state from RESYNC to FAILED. <<<=== Disk 4 fails. The raid is now degraded.
[19/03/30 01:29:23 PDT] err:disk:LOGMSG_ZFS_DISK_STATUS_CHANGED Disk in channel 1 (Internal) changed state from ONLINE to FAILED. <<<=== Disk 1 fails. Second disk failure and the raid stops.

The raid has been re-syncing multiple times, likely due to the disks dropping in out of the raid as both are faulty. The additional raid syncs caused extra strain on the already failing disks, accelerating the degradation process.

So, at this point you would need to try and clone either disk 1 or disk 4 (likely disk 1 as that disk dropped out last) and then try and manually assemble the raid. This is certainly possible to try, given that the disks gets no worse. However, unless you are very comfortable with Linux and with mdadm raid mechanics, I would advise to contact NETGEAR to discuss data recovery contract. It is going to cost a few hundred bucks so depends on how important the data is.

If you have a backup then you get two fresh disks to replace the bad ones --> factory reset and start over --> then restore from backups.

The peculiar thing here is that the disks are quite young. It is very uncommon for disks to fail at this age and thus I suspect that they were faulty from the beginning. Additionally, the majority of these disk failures are mechanical failures inside the drives and those cannot be caused by the NAS itself. If these disks were bought separately from the NAS, the manufacturer will certainly have warranty on them, judging by the young age of these disks. If the disks came with the NAS you should also be covered by NETGEAR as these are very new disks.

Here is the state of the disks.

Device: sda
Controller: 0
Channel: 0 <<<=== Disk 1
Model: ST6000NM0115-1YZ110
Serial: (masked)
Firmware: SN04
Class: SATA
RPM: 7200
Sectors: 11721045168
Pool: data-0
PoolType: RAID 5
PoolState: 5
PoolHostId: (masked)
Health data 
ATA Error Count: 189
Reallocated Sectors: 123
Reallocation Events: 123
Spin Retry Count: 0
End-to-End Errors: 3
Command Timeouts: 6
Current Pending Sector Count: 0
Uncorrectable Sector Count: 0
Temperature: 48
Start/Stop Count: 71
Power-On Hours: 421
Power Cycle Count: 71
Load Cycle Count: 207

Device: sdd
Controller: 0
Channel: 3 <<<=== Disk 4
Model: ST6000NM0115-1YZ110
Serial: (masked)
Firmware: SN04
Class: SATA
RPM: 7200
Sectors: 11721045168
Pool: data-0
PoolType: RAID 5
PoolState: 5
PoolHostId: (masked)
Health data 
ATA Error Count: 8875
Reallocated Sectors: 7565
Reallocation Events: 7565
Spin Retry Count: 0
End-to-End Errors: 0
Command Timeouts: 26
Current Pending Sector Count: 8
Uncorrectable Sector Count: 8
Temperature: 49
Start/Stop Count: 71
Power-On Hours: 420
Power Cycle Count: 71
Load Cycle Count: 207

Sorry I could not bring you better news on this one 😞

Cheers

Message 5 of 8
Issam99999
Aspirant

Thank you for your response, 

I have replaced the two damaged HDDs, but I am still worried to face this issue again, 

Any advice,

BR,  

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 6 of 8
Danthelf
Guide

EDIT: I now realize I may have misread your post, I thought you replaced the drives and was still seeing the same issue... But now I see that you're worried about having the same issue again. In this case two drives failed, that can happen with any device... The best thing to do is to have a proper backup plan, never store all your data on a single device. In addition to that, set up email alerts to notify you if drives are failing, this reduces the risk of having multiple disk failures as you can replace each disk as they start failing.

Original:

As per Hopchen's update the RAID is considered dead due to the two faulty drives, you say that you have now replaced the two drives.. Did you just take them out and put in new ones? Each drive would need to be replaced one by one and give the volume time to sync but as the volume is already considered dead this wouldn't work and you probably need to clone the drives (as Hopchen mentioned).. Did you clone both drives? 

Even after cloning the volume may be out of sync due to varying event counts between the drives in the array and would have to be forced back together... At this stage I think it's best to consider restoring from backup, or if you don't have it: Contact netgear support for data recovery options. 

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Issam99999 wrote:

I have replaced the two damaged HDDs, but I am still worried to face this issue again, 

Any advice,

Put a backup plan in place.  Then you won't face data loss if your NAS fails or if you lose the volume.

Backing up to USB drives is one approach, you can also invest in another NAS (and use one of the NAS to back up the other).

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements