× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nondestructively increase Time Machine capacity in RAIDiator 5.3.13?

Nondestructively increase Time Machine capacity in RAIDiator 5.3.13?

My (now aged) ReadyNAS NV+ V2 is still doing well, but I'd like to increase the Time Machine capacity.  I know I can remove and then recreate the TM quota via the RAIDiator interface, but is there a way to do it nondestructively?  If I change the quota in the interface will it simply expand the quota?  Or do I have to do this via the command line and set quotas that way?

Thanks, Spike

Model: RND4000v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 3
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Nondestructively increase Time Machine capacity in RAIDiator 5.3.13?

@SpikeLightfoot

Welcome to the Community!

I think it is possible to create a new Time machine backup with a larger capacity and use it as a new TM Backup disk. Using ReadyNAS you will have to delete the old .sparsebundle and create a new one with larger cap, not really sure if it can be expanded on backend.

https://kb.netgear.com/23835/How-do-I-increase-the-capacity-of-the-Time-Machine-backup-on-my-ReadyNA...

I came upon a post that you can create or connect a new backup disk and save the old backup.

https://support.apple.com/en-ph/guide/mac-help/mh15137/mac

HTH

Regards

Message 2 of 3

Re: Nondestructively increase Time Machine capacity in RAIDiator 5.3.13?

Thank you, Marc.  My question is less about how to create a new sparsebundle on the space allocated to Time Machine than about how to increase that space.  When I was first setting it up I made the decision to allocate about 1TB on my (net) 2.7TB array to Time Machine.  Now I wish it were more.  I simply want to increase that allottment or quota, to allow TM to take up more of the available space.

When you look at TM Preferences you see something like the attached image.  I want to increase the second number, the available space.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements