× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Not getting email alerts from ReadyNAS Pro 4

carpii
Tutor

Not getting email alerts from ReadyNAS Pro 4

ReadyNAS Pro 4 running RAIDiator 4.2.31 

Occasionally when I log into FrontView, an alert pops up about disk health.

Today I got an alert popup.. "Reallocated sector count has increased in the last day. Disk 4: Previous count: 5 Current count: 6 Growing SMART errors indicate a disk that may fail soon. If the errors continue to increase, you should be prepared to replace the disk."

This error is also recorded in Frontview -> Status -> Logs

The ReadyNAS is supposed to be emailing me these alerts (and I've had them in the past, although I dont recall any in a long time), so it seems email alerts have stopped working at some point.

When I go to System -> Alerts, my email is configured properly, and clicking 'Send test Message' sends an email successfully.

When I go to System -> Alerts -> Settings, all the event types are ticked, meaning it should generate an email anytime these happen

How can I troubleshoot this?

Thanks

Model: RNDP4000|ReadyNAS Pro 4 Chassis only
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

You can download the log zip file, and then look in msmtp.log.  That should give some clues as to whether the alert was successfully sent.

Maybe also double-check your email spam folder. 

If you are using a corporate mail server, then it's possible that it is quarantining some email (and depending on corporate policies you might not be able to see what it is filtering out).

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Sounds like you should replace the disk before you go back and troubleshoot the email alerts.

Message 2 of 7
carpii
Tutor

Yeah, I'll be replacing a drive tomorrow.

My worry is, I would not have known about this, had I not been trying to troubleshoot unrelated RAIDar issues on all 3 NAS (my other thread).

There are also a few other historic health alerts in the log, which I didnt recieve an email for, so it's kinda concerning

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

You can download the log zip file, and then look in msmtp.log.  That should give some clues as to whether the alert was successfully sent.

Maybe also double-check your email spam folder. 

If you are using a corporate mail server, then it's possible that it is quarantining some email (and depending on corporate policies you might not be able to see what it is filtering out).

Message 4 of 7
carpii
Tutor

Its just a personal gmail account. No sign of it in my spam folder either

Good idea about msmtp log, I'll check that thanks

Should there also be a log entry in Frontview when it attempts to send an email alert?

I can see theres one when I manually send a test email

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@carpii wrote:

Should there also be a log entry in Frontview when it attempts to send an email alert?

Normally not, since whatever caused the alert itself is logged.  I don't know if SMTP failures are logged or not (I get my alerts, so I have no easy way to test it). 

@carpii wrote:

There are also a few other historic health alerts in the log, which I didnt recieve an email for, so it's kinda concerning

Which ones?  Not all SMART errors trigger an email.

Message 6 of 7
carpii
Tutor

msmtp log does show an attempt to send the alert on 10th July, but it appears my internet was down, or having dns issues. Pretty unfortunate, but at least I have an answer now, thankyou

Feb 12 12:55:04 host=smtp.gmail.com tls=on auth=on user=removed@gmail.com from=removed@gmail.com recipients=removed@gmail.com mailsize=503 exitcode=EX_OK
Apr 12 06:25:04 host=smtp.gmail.com tls=on auth=on user=removed@gmail.com from=removed@gmail.com recipients=removed@gmail.com mailsize=187 exitcode=EX_OK
Jul 10 17:11:30 host=smtp.gmail.com tls=on auth=on user=removed@gmail.com from=removed@gmail.com recipients=removed@gmail.com errormsg='cannot locate host smtp.gmail.com: Name or service not known' exitcode=EX_NOHOST
Jul 16 21:21:29 host=smtp.gmail.com tls=on auth=on user=removed@gmail.com from=removed@gmail.com recipients=removed@gmail.com mailsize=169 exitcode=EX_OK

@carpii wrote:

Which ones?  Not all SMART errors trigger an email.

I made a mistake with this. I thought these historic log entries were this year, but they were actually from 2018.

There is also a subsequent log entry for RAID sync, so it appears I did actually get those alerts, and dealt with them at the time

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements