× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Not getting snapshots on newest shares.

Sandshark
Sensei

Not getting snapshots on newest shares.

I am looking to move a couple shares to another volume. Since I can find no way to move the shares and the snapshots associated with them, I currently have duplicates on the new share to allow them to collect their own snapshots before I delete the originals. I have an rsync backup job (using 127.0.0.1 as the destination) updating the duplicate nightly and smart daily snapshots enabled. But I'm not getting any snapshots. These are the only shares on this volume. CoW is enabled on the shares.

I started by only duplicating one share, one that doesn't change often. All looked fine. Rsync was showing it ran (but not finding any changes, since there were none) and I got two daily snapshots at midnight-ish on each night after I created it. So, I added another. This time, a share that changes every day, since it contains my nightly PC Acronis backups. Backup log is showing rsync finds and copies the new files and deletes older ones the backup program deletes on the original, but I've never gotten a snapshot. And the snapshots on the other share on this new volume stopped, too. Backup times (4am) are well away from snapshot time. There is plenty of free space. Shares on other volumes on the same NAS continue as normal. Nothing in the main log as to a problem. Turned snapshots off and back on -- no effect.

Before I just start looking about haphazardly, any clues where I should look for indications of why it's not working? Things to try to get it working?

If it makes any difference, all the snapshots that are working were set up long ago, undoubtedly under earlier versions of the firmware (which, I have no idea). I am currently still running 6.9.5. They were also set up on an RD516 with EDA500 before I moved all the volumes to a 12-bay NAS. The new volume was created on the new NAS. If anything, I would expect to have trouble with the moved volumes, not the new ones.

Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Not getting snapshots on newest shares.

How full is the new volume? 

Have you tried looking in the log zip file?  System.log should have some clues.  Also perhaps look at snapper.log

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Not getting snapshots on newest shares.

I finally found a clue, a deletion of a snapshot because the volume was too full (even though it's at less than 30%).  It seems the NAS was not reading the ._share/.snapshot_prune correctly.  I went to set the max space to another value, and it was blank.  Now have it set at 85% and got a snapshot.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements