× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ONE READYNAS AND TWO DIFFERENT INTERNET ACCESS. READYNAS PRO 4

cangayu
Aspirant

ONE READYNAS AND TWO DIFFERENT INTERNET ACCESS. READYNAS PRO 4

Hellow,

i have a question.

I would like to access my Readynas from internet through two differents routers. I would be able to choose wich router connect to my ReadyNas.

I have a local network in the office. All the equipment  (incluiding NAS) exit to internet through a ADSL router. The problem is this ADSL connection is very poor. So, when i access NAS from internet (out local network) quality is very poor, very difficult to work.

I have a 4G router and it runs ok. I would like to connect this router to the ReadyNas, but i want to use only when i am out of the office. During a normal day this router have to be inactive.

Is possible ??

Thanks.

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP4000|ReadyNAS Pro 4 Chassis only
Message 1 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ONE READYNAS AND TWO DIFFERENT INTERNET ACCESS. READYNAS PRO 4

While I have never done it, I see no reason you couldn't connect each NAS LAN port to a different router.  Just don't try and connect the routers to each other (directly or through a switch).  The NAS will not act as a bridge between the two networks.

But what remote access method are you using?  You need to make sure you have a way to insure that looks at the right port.  Smple port forwarding in the appropriate router certainly works.  With other solutions, it could get trickier.

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

wrote:

While I have never done it, I see no reason you couldn't connect each NAS LAN port to a different router.  Just don't try and connect the routers to each other (directly or through a switch).  The NAS will not act as a bridge between the two networks.

I think the OP is likely to have trouble on the outbound connections.  The NAS will certainly accept the forwarded inbound connections.  But the return connections (for instance FTP passive ports) will work on both paths, and I don't think the NAS has any way to limit them to a particular NIC.

Static routes might work, or perhaps deliberately mis-configuring the gateway address on the ADSL Lan port.  But either would require all internet connections from the NAS to always go through the 4G router.

Message 3 of 5
ilneill
Apprentice

If the alternative access router can support some sort of network address translation (NAT) and can hide your incoming internet address behind a local address that is already routable, then the NAS will not have any routing issues when responding.

Many routers call this source hide or a VPN client pool.

I hope this helps

Ian
Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

wrote:
If the alternative access router can support some sort of network address translation (NAT) and can hide your incoming internet address behind a local address that is already routable, then the NAS will not have any routing issues when responding.

Many routers call this source hide or a VPN client pool.

I don't know of home routers that have that particular feature (though they do of course all support NAT).

FWIW, I think there will still be issues with passive FTP, since the FTP server in the NAS can only have the masquerade set to one of the two WAN addresses.  Using a client that doesn't use the masquerade would overcome that, but that assumes the poster has control over that.

I think it would be helpful to know what two router models the poster has.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements