× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OS 6.4.1 slow ... to the point of unusable

StephenB
Guru

@NicoDenT wrote:

A couple of days ago, I upgraded from 6.4.0 to 6.4.1 as well. My ReadyNAS is extremely slow as well now - I can no longer access folders with large number of photos.

The only solution I have read so far is to downgrade the FW to 6.4.0. Can anyone tell me how to do this? I can only find manuals to upgrade the FW, not to downgrade it...

Thanks in advance!

If the antivirus service is turned on, try turning it off and see if that cures it.  Netgear is working on a fix for that.

The downgrade to 6.4.0 is easy (going below that is not).  What you need to do it

(a) download the ARM zip file from here: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29938/~/readynas-os-version-6.4.0

(b) extract the image file from the zip, and put it somewhere that you can navigate to easily.

(c) log into the NAS web ui, and go to system->settings.  You'll see a manual install control.

(d) click on it and follow the prompts (selecting the image file you extracted earlier).

Message 51 of 172
NicoDenT
Initiate

Dear Stephen, Thanks for the very quick answer and clear explanation. Following your advice I fixed the problem in just 5 minutes. The NAS is performing well again.

Message 52 of 172
Radim
Initiate

There is another issue with FW 6.4.1, imho. I was wery dissapointed while doing regular full backup from RN104 to USB 3.0 external drive (Seagate 3TB NTFS). A few hours long night backup wasn't finished in the morning. Datarate to external HDD was only 86 MB/min compared to 550 MB/min last times. After a day of troubleshooting external drive and cables and all RN104 USB ports I did FW downgrade 6.4.1 to 6.4.0. Datatrate to external drive returned to proper values.

Message 53 of 172
pet2tso
Aspirant

Thanks to StepenB!!  I have downgraded to FirmWare 6.4.0, and things are back to normal.  I learn a few hard lessons from Netgear.  This is not the first time the system go to pots after firmware upgrade.  I will be very carefull from this point on.

Message 54 of 172
gsvenningsen
Tutor

I've also experienced the same problems as described here after I upgraded to firmware 6.4.1. Shared files/folders were very slow over local network. I have only two "apps" installed: Anti-Virus plus and bit torent sync.

The problem dissappeared when the data-folder(s) was excluded from the Anti-virus "live scan". It is still slow on folders that have Live-Scan enabeld.

As a (possible) workaround I've scheduled full anti-virus scan at night when the NAS is not in use.

Message 55 of 172
Bob_K
Tutor

I can also confirm other reports of slow transfer speeds even with AntiVirus disabled.  Using Goodsync, I previously saw nearly 100MB/s transfer rates on backups (using jumbo frames) on prior firmware versions.  After upgrading the firmware to OS 6.4.1, I get averages between 15 MB/s and 40 MB/s.

Message 56 of 172
Roel1
Apprentice

My ReadyNAS 102 has also slowed down so much it is not really usable. I will see if disabling the AV helps, as other posts suggest, and failing that, I will revert to 6.4.0.

10 mins later - Disabling the AV did the trick and it is now running at its normal speed.

Message 57 of 172
gsvenningsen
Tutor

Alright folks, we have now a large amount of people that successsfully removed the problem by turning the anti-virus off. However, this is obviously just a temporarily solution. Does anyone know if Netgear is working on a fix?

Message 58 of 172
amtrakuk1
Aspirant

True. I did pop on to see if there was any news and nothing, it's been 2 nearly 3 weeks since the issue was first reported.
Message 59 of 172
Bob_K
Tutor

@Bob_K wrote:

I can also confirm other reports of slow transfer speeds even with AntiVirus disabled.  Using Goodsync, I previously saw nearly 100MB/s transfer rates on backups (using jumbo frames) on prior firmware versions.  After upgrading the firmware to OS 6.4.1, I get averages between 15 MB/s and 40 MB/s.

Nevermind.  I'm an idiot.  I turned off jumbo frames on my desktop NIC while troubleshooting the slow firmware issues and forgot to turn it back on.  With jumbo frames turned on, I'm back up to 90-100MB/s transfer speeds.

Message 60 of 172
AdriFrijters
Tutor

Yes sir.

is there a manual how to downgrade?

adri.

Message 61 of 172
stephen_neph
Initiate

As a (previously) satisfied ReadyNAS user who has wasted several hours waiting for "hanging" files after an upgrade 6.4.0 to 6.4.1 last night on NAS 401, thankyou to those who contributed to this thread and the helpful instructions. Downgrade back to 6.4.0 fixed the problem -- comments about using 6.4.1 and disabling the AV noted, but a functional solution is the key for me.

Message 62 of 172
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

6.4.2 Beta 1 is available which is another option. This has some bug fixes in it and we would appreciate feedback on this release in the beta forum.

Message 63 of 172
iscgdave
Aspirant

I've been researching this for a client but their issues also started after upgrading to firmware 6.4.1 on RN 3130

The Antivirus is already disabled so I will try the Beta firmware.

Message 64 of 172
iscgdave
Aspirant

Strike that, I found the firmware

Message 65 of 172
AdriFrijters
Tutor

All readers, thanks,

I downgraded to 6.4.0 and all problems were solved (thanks to the helpdesk that gave me (the dummie) manual).

I hope the next update 6.4.2 is tested before release. I am just a user without knowledge of nas or networking procedures.

Before upgrading i'll search the forum on problems.

i'd like to stick to occupational saftey, that's my expertise. So if there are questions on that subject, please ask.

Have a good and safe 2016.

Adri.

Message 66 of 172
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Every firmware release is QA tested before release.

For the small number that encounter issues with an upgrade we look into what happened, reproduce the problems and work on fixes.

There are fixes for some issues in 6.4.2 Beta 1.

Message 67 of 172
AquaticsLive
Aspirant

So glad I found this, I was thinking the ReadyNAS had something wrong, I had updated it and forgot.  Vacation and picture wanted to show the family the NAS and bam so slow it caused so many issues, I rolled it back to 6.4.0 and all was well again.  I will remember to keep a copy from now on.  I was so happy with the testing in the past but this clearly was lemon version.

Message 68 of 172
iscgdave
Aspirant

I also rolled back to 6.4.0 rather than the beta firmware and all is happy in userland again 🙂

Message 69 of 172
plusterkopp
Tutor

Betreff: OS 6.4.1 slow ... to the point of unusable

Still applies after 6.4.2 T59 upgrade. As soon as a scrub starts, the load (as seen by top) increases dramatically because of kworker/u2:xx processes. On my RN102, there are three of them, plus the other processes that normally run all the time. Load now is at 9-10.

Haven't seen this in 6.4.0, but since I use scrub jobs starting at 03:00, they are normally finished by the time I look at CPU stats. Now with 6.4.1, they seem to take a lot longer.

Of course using the disk being scrubbed for any file IO takes forever.

Message 70 of 172
fkhan
Aspirant

same issue....6.4.1 extremely slow. There is a new beta version but is it safe to try with the beta or better to revert back to 6.4.0

Message 71 of 172
plusterkopp
Tutor

I just installed the new beta. Didn't fix it for me. Started a scrub that normally took maybe 10 hours to complete. Now at 3.7% after 6h:12min, so, extrapolating, it will take almost 168h, i.e. one week, at which point it is scheduled to start the next round.

Message 72 of 172
dsnpevl
Virtuoso

Unfortuneately I am also seeing the same issues with 6.4.1. A full backup to USB drive that took approx. 8 hours with 6.4.0 takes about 3 days with 6.4.1.

Message 73 of 172
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi dsnpevl,

Load the latest Beta Firmware and let us know if it addresses the issue that you encountered.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 74 of 172
dsnpevl
Virtuoso

Uploaded the latest beta firmware and rebooted. The firmware version in the Admin pages now lists "6.4.2-T59". Manually started the backup, but it is doing an incremental backup. As there were little to no changes to the data, it toke only a few minutes to complete (see below). Will get back to you with the results on the duration of the full backup next year.

Successfully completed backup job Weekly Backup USB_HDD 3.

-------- Backup Job Information -------- Backup Job Name: Weekly Backup USB_HDD 3 Backup Job Type: Incremental

Protocol: local

Backup Source: [volume:data]/

Backup Destination: [USB_HDD_3]/data

Backup Start Time: Thu Dec 31 2015 2:58:15 Backup Finish Time: Thu Dec 31 2015 3:00:53 Backup Status: Success

Enjoy the New Years Eve and best wishes for 2016 to the whole Netgear communtiy!

Message 75 of 172
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements