× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OS 6.4.1 slow ... to the point of unusable

BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi dsnpevl,

Thanks for the feedback and we're looking forward to hearing the result of the scheduled full backup next year. Happy Holidays!

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 76 of 172
dsnpevl
Virtuoso

Changed the backup settings to always do a full backup and started it manually. Then I monitored the Admin page for the size of the USB drive and saw it dropping down (for the removal of the old files) and then increase in size again (for the actual backup of the files). Every few minutes I would do a refresh to see if the backup is still running. I also connected to the share of the USB drive on RN via Windows Explorer and see file sizes increasing and directories being created.

The more files are being copied, the slower the response of the admin page gets and after about 15 minutes of files being copied to the USB drive, the admin page doesn't refresh any more. I tried with several browsers, but none of them will get past the splash page. Occasionally the admin page will try to auto-reconnect and shows a progress bar. But still it cannot get further than the splash page.

This somewhat matches the findings of plusterkopp ("I just installed the new beta. Didn't fix it for me."). It seems to me the problem described in the orginal post of this thread ("slow ... to the point of unusable") still occurs with 6.4.2-T59.

The response from the share in Windows Explorer is a bit slow, but (up till now) I am still able to access it.

The website running on the RN ( http://fotografeer.nl ) doesn't seem to be affected and is still responsive.

Will keep the backup running to see how long the full backup takes and if access to the admin page comes back when the backup is finished.

Message 77 of 172
plusterkopp
Tutor

For the T59 beta, it does not claim to remedy any performance issues, perhaps it was never intended to do so. What surprises me though is that not only cheap folks like me with their ARM-based NAS are affected, but x86 models, too.

Another poster showed hdparm -Tt results, so here are mine:

1. no scrub running:

hdparm -Tt /dev/md126; hdparm -Tt /dev/md127
/dev/md126:
 Timing cached reads:   444 MB in  2.01 seconds = 220.65 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads: 186 MB in  3.01 seconds =  61.75 MB/sec
/dev/md127:
 Timing cached reads:   516 MB in  2.00 seconds = 257.84 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads: 188 MB in  3.03 seconds =  61.99 MB/sec

2. during scrub:

hdparm -Tt /dev/md126

/dev/md126:
Timing cached reads: 26 MB in 2.00 seconds = 12.98 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 32 MB in 3.06 seconds = 10.46 MB/sec

I think, this is to be expected since scrub creates some load on the disk platters. Problem is when scrub (or any other scheduled activity) takes forever to finish.

This is a RN102 with two JBOD disks, 3TB and 4TB. In 6.4.1, I enabled spindown after 15min.

Message 78 of 172
StephenB
Guru

My RN102 is also running 6.4.2-T59 with 2x3 TB jbod (WD30EFRX).  NasTester results are about 30% worse 6.2.x firmware (similar to 6.4.0 and 6.4.1)  It would be nice to get the SAMBA perfomance back to where it was before.

NAS performance tester 1.7 http://www.808.dk/?nastester
Running warmup...
Running a 400MB file write on \\10.0.0.13\Test 5 times...
Iteration 1: 34.48 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 45.28 MB/sec
Iteration 3: 39.23 MB/sec
Iteration 4: 35.89 MB/sec
Iteration 5: 28.76 MB/sec
-----------------------------
Average (W): 36.73 MB/sec
Running a 400MB file read on \\10.0.0.13\Test 5 times...
Iteration 1: 51.77 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 52.73 MB/sec
Iteration 3: 52.94 MB/sec
Iteration 4: 50.72 MB/sec
Iteration 5: 53.11 MB/sec
Average (R): 52.25 MB/sec

hdparm results are

hdparm -Tt /dev/md126; hdparm -Tt /dev/md127

/dev/md126:
Timing cached reads: 846 MB in 2.00 seconds = 423.20 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 422 MB in 3.01 seconds = 140.06 MB/sec

/dev/md127:
Timing cached reads: 842 MB in 2.01 seconds = 419.07 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 424 MB in 3.00 seconds = 141.17 MB/sec

Message 79 of 172
Peter_the_Hat
Aspirant

NAS 314 with 4 x 3TB drives

I have the same problem. Took me a few days to realise it was a NAS issue as the NAS upgrade to 6.4.1 coincided with a windows update and installing some new software on my PC. It also did not seem to affect read access from my IPAD.  One thing that was odd was that after my PC restarted access to the NAS was OK for a short period ( a few minutes ) .

However I found that turning off the antivirus brought things back to normal. It is now useable again. I can live with out the antivirus as nothig has write access to the NAS except via my PC which has a very good anti virus . Also my network is proteceted by a hardware firewal/IPS.

Message 80 of 172
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Peter_the_Hat,

Welcome to the community!

The engineering team is already aware of the problem with 6.4.1. Turning off AntiVirus is just a work around. They are working on this and we are waiting for the new official release.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Message 81 of 172
AdriFrijters
Tutor

With me, turning out and dé-installing the antivirus had no effect on accesabilit. now i am back on 6.4.0 reinstalled antivirus and no problems besides the latest update of the antivirus set off the 'live scan' and i do not know how to ste it on. I do wat to be protected because although accessability by the internet is with VPN, it is software and software is to be hacked. We do not know when but it will be done.

So who can help this dummie on a how to reset the antivrius to 'live scan'?

By the way, the nas is not my back up but the live data. Several work stations have access.

Adri.

Message 82 of 172
AdeVries
Aspirant

Thanks everbody for the advice to downgrade to OS 6.4.0.. I am now able to access my NAS-files again.

Looking forward for OS 6.5

Anne

Message 83 of 172
dsnpevl
Virtuoso

> Will keep the backup running to see how long the full backup takes and if access to the admin page comes back when the backup is finished.

The backup finally finished. I was able to play part of a movie during the run of the full backup, but half way through I lost the network connection to the Movie share. During the backup the admin page was sometimes unreachable and didn't get any further than the splash page. If it did show up, the data share bar, the model info, firmware version, antivirus status, serial number and apps were not displayed.

Unresponsive Admin Page in 6.4.1

The admin page did recover and shows up normally after the backup is finished. Backup of approx. 4 TB to USB drive took approx 4 days, but eventually completed:

Successfully completed backup job Weekly Backup USB_HDD 3.

-------- Backup Job Information -------- Backup Job Name: Weekly Backup USB_HDD 3 Backup Job Type: Full
Protocol: local
Backup Source: [volume:data]/
Backup Destination: [USB_HDD_3]/data
Backup Start Time: Thu Dec 31 2015  8:11:07 Backup Finish Time: Mon Jan  4 2016  8:13:17 Backup Status: Success

I'm considering moving back to 6.4.0, because the performance in 6.4.1 and 6.4.2-T59 is impeded when the backup to USB is running and the backup now takes way to long.

Message 84 of 172
AdriFrijters
Tutor

Dear all, specially the guys from Netgear.
See us struggeling and fighting with data transfer, Reading all this, you should cry out loud. Why, did we not pay the hardware in time? Did we ask for an os update with problems? No, I certainly not, who did? Please speak.

How long does it take to clean up the mess an apologize?
Please tell me also how to set the virus scanner correct.

Greetings from The Netherlands, Adri, just a simple user.
Message 85 of 172
StephenB
Guru

@AdriFrijters wrote:

Please tell me also how to set the virus scanner correct.

I'm not from Netgear...

To disable the Antivirus service, you log into the web admin page.  That will put you on the systems page.  Select "settings".  Antivirus shows up under "services", and you click on it to enable/disable it.

Message 86 of 172
Roel1
Apprentice

I'm not keen on trying out beta releases, so will wait for the official release.

Message 87 of 172
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Roel1,

There's no ETA when the new Firmware will be released. Check the community and our support website for updates.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 88 of 172
Niklas
Aspirant

I never enabled AntiVirus but I'm still exposed to the issue. I tried to downgrade to 6.4.0, after waiting about 2 hours for the file upload on the settings page (seems to be as slow as NFS access) a dialog popped up saying the uploaded version was older than the current version, only available button was 'cancel'. Any advise?

Message 89 of 172
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Niklas, please send in your logs. If you are not using anti-virus then your issue is different to some others. We need more info to know the best way forward for you.

Message 90 of 172
AdriFrijters
Tutor

dear member of the forum,

this does not work.

i can just uninstal or instal the virusscanner.

greets, Adri.

Message 91 of 172
StephenB
Guru

@AdriFrijters wrote:

dear member of the forum,

this does not work.

i can just uninstal or instal the virusscanner.

greets, Adri.

You are confused, since the antivirus scanner is built-in and cannot be uninstalled.  I suspect you are confusing the "Anti-Virus Plus" control app with the scanner.

services.png

Any service with a green stripe across it is enabled. You will see that antivirus is disabled on my system. If you click on it, you'll see an option to enable/disable it.

Message 92 of 172
AdriFrijters
Tutor

Stephen, thnx.
The app is of no use i gess.
Just de-instal it to make it all clear.
Thanks for the answer.
Message 93 of 172
StephenB
Guru

@AdriFrijters wrote:

The app is of no use i gess.

The app gives you the ability to set options (e.g. what to do if viruses are found, etc).

Message 94 of 172
AdriFrijters
Tutor

stephan,

this is on the screen in the viruspage

virusscanNAS.PNG

Is that normal?

why the red and yellow dots?

thanks

Adri.

Message 95 of 172
StephenB
Guru

Red is reinforcing that the live scan is disabled.

Yellow is likewise reinforcing that scheduled scans are disabled.  

Netgear is treating no live scan as a "red" (critical) condition, and no scheduled scan as a "yellow" (not so critical) condition.  

Of course how critical they really are depends on the rest of your set up.  All the files on my NAS come from one of my PCs, which all have their own antivirus software running.

Message 96 of 172
AdriFrijters
Tutor

Stephen, thanks for the info. But now you raise the question hoe to get green dots as they were before the update and downgrade.
Of course all c's have their own scanners running but ic there is the opportunity to be double sure, why not.
Greets, Adri.
Message 97 of 172
StephenB
Guru

@AdriFrijters wrote:
Stephen, thanks for the info. But now you raise the question hoe to get green dots as they were before the update and downgrade.
Of course all c's have their own scanners running but ic there is the opportunity to be double sure, why not.
Greets, Adri.

After Netgear fixes the issue with AV you can re-enable it.  Then your green dots will come back.

Right now, most users are seeing that the benefit of AV is not worth the performance loss.

Message 98 of 172
AdriFrijters
Tutor

Stephen, thanks again for reply.
What I do not understand is why netgear does not apply this information without asking.
In the software I am responsible for we put this info in a mouse over. In this way Te user is optimal informed,this prevents irritation and give satisfied users.

Thanks for solving my problems/questions.
I'll rest my case. 😉
Adri.
Message 99 of 172
BriBrom
Star

I upgraded over the weekend and encountered exactly the same problem that everyone's complaining about. The piece of work support tech I sent my logs to responded with: "Everything is fine with your drive, the problem isn't ours, your support expired, pay us money or we're not going to speak with you anymore!" Disgraceful behavior! (There were even more problems caused by the firmware upgrade that I fixed myself.)

Message 100 of 172
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements