× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OS 6.4.1 slow ... to the point of unusable

BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Skepher & Flomer,

Rest assured that NETGEAR is working on a fix that will address this issue. 

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 151 of 172
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

This is a high priority bug, but I had been saying for a while that it would not be fixed in 6.4.2. We didn't have a fix ready in time and there were other issues that 6.4.2 would address that we needed to provide to our users. The AV problem was already present in 6.4.1, so it's not a regression in 6.4.2.

We have a potential fix for the slow performance with AV enabled and are looking for a few testers.

We have a potential fix. If you are interested please:

1. Disable the Anti-Virus service under System > Settings > Services

2. Update to 6.4.2

3. Send me a private message and I will let you know the remaining things we need for you to be able to test it.

Message 152 of 172
agrimm
Aspirant

I too have this problem after updating to 6.4.2.  I did disable the virus scanner and the speed has returned.

Message 153 of 172
ArthurP
Aspirant

I just spend 3 fruitless hours trying to use the readynas to aid migration to a new laptop.  Finally I found this thread.  Ugh.  Yes, turning off virus check on the NAS and rebooting solved the problem.

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay Diskless
Message 154 of 172
Peter_the_Hat
Aspirant

What is the latest on this ? its been about 3 months now without a solution.

Peter

Message 155 of 172
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Peter_the_Hat,

Can you try creating a test user and see if you get the same problem. Use the web portal first and not the desktop client or app. Web portal should work first.

Regards,

Message 156 of 172
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Looking to do some isolation testing with a few users of 100 series or RN2120 systems who have slower performance with anti-virus disabled than they had in 6.2.4. Please PM me if interested.

Message 157 of 172
PhilGregory31
Aspirant

ReadyNas 104 very slow with 6.4.1 and 6.4.2 installed.

Menu's almost un-usable , operations such as backup not completing and stuck in-progress.

Antivirus disabled makes no difference.

Went back down to 6.4.0 as advised by this thread.

All working normally again.

Message 158 of 172

Hi All,

I have had the same issue, however mine got so bad i decided to a factory reset! that didn't work. I have been really dissappointed with this F/M release. Mt NAS is unusable. Seeing this thread I am trying to down grade to 6.4.0 now. Will let you know how it goes. 

I was at the point of wanting to sell the NAS and just use Dropbox.Having been a loyal NAS FAN for Netgear for over a decade I am at the point of trying something new. these lates Software bugs are so frustrating!

Message 159 of 172
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There is a fix in ReadyNASOS 6.5.0-T338 (Beta 2) for the anti-virus issue as well as some other fixes. Please try it.

Message 160 of 172
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

There's going to be an article released sometime extremely soon for 6.4.0-6.4.2 and the Antivirus updates to address lots of the complaints Antivirus caused. Please be on the lookout. I'm sure someone'll post the article later once it is approved.  🙂

Message 161 of 172
Hunt_trex
Aspirant

The update fixed the issue.   Gee thanks Netgear for all the frustration and wasting my time trying to troubleshoot an issue the should never have happened.    This is very frustrating and made me question if I will purchase a netgear product in the future.

Once again thinks for wasting my time.

Message 162 of 172
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

To get the fix for the anti-virus issue you can update to ReadyNASOS 6.5.0-T338 (Beta 2) (or later). Alternatively if you prefer you can stay on 6.4.2 for now and install the hot-fix (which is now available).

Thanks for your patience.

Message 163 of 172
Peter_the_Hat
Aspirant

Hi ,

I installed 6.5.0  beta 2 on my 314 5 days ago and the slow problem with the AV enabled is now OK. all is working at normal speed as far as I can tell.

Peter

Message 164 of 172
AdriFrijters
Tutor

Hi all readers and special testers,
Are more users enthousiast?
Please, we complain so we also should shout out when the solution works.
Message 165 of 172
amtrakuk1
Aspirant

Installed 6.5.0-T338 (B2) and enabled the AV.   All seems rine on my 104

Message 166 of 172
fkhan
Aspirant

issue seems to be fixed now

thanks RN team.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 167 of 172
AdriFrijters
Tutor

is the new OS 6.5 out of the Beta stadium and also working on the 100 serie?

Who has the experience?

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 168 of 172
dsnpevl
Virtuoso

@AdriFrijters wrote:

Who has the experience?

Think it's still in beta. I am testing 6.5.0-T338 on RN516 and RN312. Backup speed to NTFS USB 3 drive is still very low for me (12 MB/s), even with AV switched off. Netgear is looking into the issue. One improvement I can see is that the Admin GUI no longer hangs when doing a large backup to USB.

Message 169 of 172
StephenB
Guru

@dsnpevl wrote:

@AdriFrijters wrote:

Who has the experience?

Think it's still in beta. I am testing 6.5.0-T338 on RN516 and RN312. Backup speed to NTFS USB 3 drive is still very low for me (12 MB/s), even with AV switched off. Netgear is looking into the issue. One improvement I can see is that the Admin GUI no longer hangs when doing a large backup to USB.

Yes, and there are two threads already open in the beta forum on USB performance.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Beta-Release/6-5-0-T322-RN100-series-front-port-USB-perfor...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Beta-Release/USB3-full-backup-slow-to-the-point-of-unusabl...

FWIW, with 6.5.0-Beta-1 I measured 24 MB/sec for a USB3 NTFS backup of a music folder on my RN102.

Message 170 of 172
sandisn
Aspirant

Thanks for the hotfix!  Works great on my RN10400.

Message 171 of 172
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for your feedback. I'm going to close this thread now.

If you have performance issues that are unrelated to anti-virus and are still running 6.4.x please post about these in a separate thread.

If you have problems installing the hot-fix please post about those in a separate thread.

If you still have issues on 6.5.0 Beta please post in the beta forum.

Message 172 of 172
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements