× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OS 6.4 Experience on Legacy Hardware

spiderman1
Guide

OS 6.4 Experience on Legacy Hardware

Just for the record, here is my performance page. Seems that everything seems to be working ok.

Screen Shot 2015-10-11 at 14.33.15.png

I wonder if any of you in the community running legacy hardware with moded CPUs (i.e. Q6600) are getting similar readings?

Moreover, I have tried copying, backing up, cloud access, etc. and can report no major issues except for WoL.

Message 1 of 37
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi spiderman1,

Thanks for sharing! Other members who are using 6.4 on their Legacy units will feel happy and confident once they found this post. I saw that you have another thread where the WoL issue was discussed. I somewhat agree that the problem could be the NIC driver of the unit but let's wait and hear from other members who are using the same PRO 6 model.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 37
viperhansa
Virtuoso

I am running 6.3.5 on a ReadyNAS Pro Business Edition (wich would be the same as Pro 6?) and have no issues so far.

Except i dont have the same level of details on my performance page: 1 Fan, 1 cpu temp and 1 system temp.

have you done any modifications or added anything to get 2 fans and the rest of the info?

regards

Hans

Message 3 of 37
spiderman1
Guide

I can't give you a reason as to why you are not seeing similar details on your performance page at least a SYSTEM and CPU fan reading graphic -- if this is what you mean.

In order to fix a dead CPU fan graphic that was appearing in the OS interface, I simply added a line to my system.conf file in the sensors.d folder which fixed it. As to the other information on the performance page, it was always there.

I don't know if you should upgrade to 6.4 as of yet a I have issues with WoL. Maybe a future release will fix this problem.

Cheers.

Message 4 of 37
ATCIS
Tutor

I'd like to add to this discussion.  My original post got moved to an area of the forums that I feel may not be getting the exposure I was hoping for.  It's been a few days now and no one has chimed in with a solution as of yet.  The thread that I am referring to can be found here:  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Fan-CPU-in-enclosure-Internal-speed-is-below-th...

Message 5 of 37
F_L_
Tutor

Anyone tried 6.4 on a Ultra 4 yet?

Message 6 of 37
itsjasper
Luminary

@viperhansa wrote:

I am running 6.3.5 on a ReadyNAS Pro Business Edition (wich would be the same as Pro 6?) and have no issues so far.

Except i dont have the same level of details on my performance page: 1 Fan, 1 cpu temp and 1 system temp.

have you done any modifications or added anything to get 2 fans and the rest of the info?

It is a feature of the 6.4.0 firmware that shows the extra info. 

Message 7 of 37
cpu8088
Virtuoso

i have installed 6.4.0 on an ultra 4 of a friend

it has been running 7 days. no prob or abnormality

Message 8 of 37
KillerBob
Aspirant

No isses, EXCEPT external Ext4 HDDs in USB caddies will not work following the upgrade... There are two of us now reporting this issue...

Message 9 of 37
F_L_
Tutor

Just upgraded my Ultra 4, seems ok

Message 10 of 37
viperhansa
Virtuoso

Anyone else made the step to 6.4.0 on legacy units?

I have a upgraded RN buissinies pro that runs on 6.3.5 that i'm not sure that i want to upgrade.

Seems like there are some issues here and there on the forum.

Message 11 of 37
F_L_
Tutor

I run it on Ultra 4, seems to be working so far.

Message 12 of 37
viperhansa
Virtuoso

Ok,finally i took the leap of faith and upgraded my 6.3.5 to 6.4.0... 

And everything went well, just updated it from frontview.

So far everything that worked before 6.4.0 seems to work now also.

Will update if i run into something fishy....  😉

// hans

Message 13 of 37
Supertramp11
Luminary

Hi Hans,

Thanks for early adopting 6.4.0.

I also have a ReadyNas 6 Pro which works great with OS 6.3.5, including the fans.

How are the fans on your NAS doing after upgrading to on 6.4.0?

Thanks!!

Message 14 of 37
heliumhel
Initiate

updated mine to 6.4 a few weeks ago.   Seemed to go ok but when I powered down this last Friday and restarted the device (first time since upgrade completed), it now only gets as far as the "ReadyNAS" LCD display.   Doesn't recognize disks being pulled out, won't access boot menu and as far as I can tell the USB recovery hasn't worked yet.    I would make sure you have a good backup of your data before proceeding and understand you may end up with a brick.

Message 15 of 37
viperhansa
Virtuoso

I have done several restarts and gone thru most of the functions on my 6.4.0 and so far i dont see anything that indicates a problem with my NAS.

Message 16 of 37
walshlink
Luminary

Model: ReadyNAS Pro 6 (RNDP6000-200)
Upgraded CPU: Intel Xeon X3230
Memory: 4 GB
HDD: 4x Hitachi 2TB
Upgraded System Fan: Noctua NF-P12 PWM - 120mm
Upgraded CPU Fan: Noctua NF-R8 PWM - 80mm

CPU temp sit around 48C idle and shown in performance tab.

I have not seen any issues other than SMB shares accessed from OSX (El Capitan, 10.11.1) disconnecting after long periods of time.

Message 17 of 37
Jophus
Luminary

My Ultra 6 on 6.4.0 upgraded and works flawlessly. My RN102 2-bay ARM model will not shut down gracefully.  This is affecting a number of people

It works better on legacy than the modern replacements.

Message 18 of 37
ksalno
Aspirant

I have an Ultra 6 Plus that I am ready to upgrade from 4.2.27. Can I go straight to 6.4?

Is there a more recent set of instructions? The ones I've found have links to download files but the links are broken and the instructions were written for ver 6.1. I'm looking for something more current without having to read 125 pages in that thread.

TIA

Karl

Message 19 of 37
paalj
Aspirant

Hi,

I upgraded to 6.4.0 and later to 6.4.1RC1. on my RN ultra 2. I have to restart every second day or so. The "find" command is filling up my memory and swap file. After 24 hours it is about 300 tasks (50 running) of the "find" command. I did a killall and got a lot of free memory, cpu and only about 180 tasks in "top". After some hours it is building up again. Does anyone know what is going on?

br,

Paal

Message 20 of 37
paalj
Aspirant

I installed htop and got some more info on the "find" command.

htop.png

Message 21 of 37
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ksalno wrote:

I have an Ultra 6 Plus that I am ready to upgrade from 4.2.27. Can I go straight to 6.4?

Is there a more recent set of instructions? The ones I've found have links to download files but the links are broken and the instructions were written for ver 6.1. I'm looking for something more current without having to read 125 pages in that thread.

TIA

Karl

Yes you can go straight to 6.4. Just need to

1. Backup your data
2. Install the PREP R4 to R6 add-on

3. Install the R4 to R6 firmware image.

Links to the add-on and the R4 to R6 - 6.4.0 firmware image are in the 3rd post of this thread: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/OS6-now-works-on-x86-Legacy-WARNING-NO-NTGR-SUP...

Message 22 of 37
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@paalj wrote:

I installed htop and got some more info on the "find" command.

You have some apps installed. Perhaps you need to install an update for one or more of those.

Message 23 of 37
paalj
Aspirant

Thanks mdgm,

I have the latest transmission installed and turned off. I uninstalled it now, but still the "find" command is popping up.

I have one app that Iam not able to remove. It is "DNS server for readynas". Something went wrong in the uninstallation and I am not able to remove it. Maybe this is the problem? how do I remove it in SSH?

br

Paal

Message 24 of 37
paalj
Aspirant

Ok, I managed to reinstall the app and then uninstall it. Now htop is the only app installed. "find" is still building up and is eating up my memory and  cpu...

br,

Paal

Message 25 of 37
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements