× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

OS 6.6.1 How to delete old manual snapshots.

BaJohn
Virtuoso

OS 6.6.1 How to delete old manual snapshots.

This seems like a trivial question, but I cannot see how to delete some very old manual snapshots?

I like the improved "smart snapshot" regime, and because I wanted a documentable version for myself, somebody else might like it.

I have created it and produce it here (couldn't find a version to copy to word). Hope it is useful.

Smart snapshots creates the snapshots to your requlrement:

• Hourly snapshots are taken on the hour, every hour.
            • Daily snapshots are taken daily at midnight.
            • Weekly snapshots are taken on Friday at midnight.

lt also provldes the following snapshot retention:

• Hourly snapshots are kept for a period of 48 hours.
            • Daily snapshots are kept for a period of 4 weeks.
            • Weekly snapshots are kept for a period of 8 weeks.
            • Monthly snapshots are kept forever.

• Hourly snapshots are promoted to daily snapshots at midnight.
            • Daily snapshots are promoted to weekly snapshots on Friday.
            • Daily snapshots are promoted to monthly snapshots on the last day of the month.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: OS 6.6.1 How to delete old manual snapshots.

@BaJohn wrote:

This seems like a trivial question, but I cannot see how to delete some very old manual snapshots?

Personally I use custom snapshots (taken daily with three month retention).  Then I don't have to delete anything (since I don't make manual snapshots).

Sometimes very old snapshots (taken with old firmware) get lost from the web ui in the upgrade process.  I suggest PMing @mdgm-ntgr if that is your situation.

Otherwise the procedure is to click on the settings wheel for the share, and choose "recover".  Right-click on the snapshot(s) and you'll see a delete option.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@BaJohn wrote:

Personally I use custom snapshots (taken daily with three month retention).  Then I don't have to delete anything (since I don't make manual snapshots).

Sometimes very old snapshots (taken with old firmware) get lost from the web ui in the upgrade process.  I suggest PMing @mdgm-ntgr if that is your situation.

Otherwise the procedure is to click on the settings wheel for the share, and choose "recover".  Right-click on the snapshot(s) and you'll see a delete option.

Message 2 of 5
BaJohn
Virtuoso

@StephenB wrote:

Thanks StephenB

I missed something vital, which was to use 'Recover' to delete a snapshot. Anyway problem fixed.

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@BaJohn wrote:

I missed something vital, which was to use 'Recover' to delete a snapshot. 

It'd be better if "recover" was renamed.

Certainly it's not intuitive, and when I do it I'm always a bit worried that I'll accidently select rollback. 

Message 4 of 5
BaJohn
Virtuoso

@StephenB wrote:

@BaJohn wrote:

I missed something vital, which was to use 'Recover' to delete a snapshot. 

It'd be better if "recover" was renamed.

Certainly it's not intuitive, and when I do it I'm always a bit worried that I'll accidently select rollback. 

You should worry ... multitasking a few minutes ago and went to 'edit' a very big file.

I right clicked and in my hurry hit the item above 'edit' on Windows.

I was about to swap windows, when I realized it was telling me it was printing page 192 etc etc.

AArrhhh ..... quickly hit <cancel> and rushed off to switch the printer off (it's in another room).

Yep - "recover" does more than recover, which is why I was having a problem finding the delete functionality.

Since these functions are almost opposites of each other, I was surprised that the designers/testers did not pick that point up.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements