× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

OS Reinstall Stuck at Checking Root FS

dbanfs
Tutor

OS Reinstall Stuck at Checking Root FS

ReadyNAS Pro running OS6 in X-RAID mode with a RAID 6 volume, recently reported a disk failure.  Upon replacing the disk, the unit failed to start resync/recovery so I tried rebooting the unit.  When the system cycled it came up with "ERR: Used Disks" which I understand indicates the root partition could not be mounted.  I then tried using the Boot Menu to initiate an OS Reinstall, but that gets stuck on "Checking root FS."  Any suggestions on how to proceed?  @mdgm-ntgr are you around and available to help get the root partition on this unit reinstalled without harming the existing data volume?  ~ôô~

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP6350|ReadyNAS Pro 6
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: OS Reinstall Stuck at Checking Root FS

mdgm's current account is @mdgm  He's no longer with Netgear; mdgm-ntgr is his old netgear account (no longer active).

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: OS Reinstall Stuck at Checking Root FS

You don't give a lot of details.  Was the drive blank when inserted?  Was it hot inserted or inserted before power on?

Assuming a cold insert of a non-blank drive, you need to go back to the original 5 good drives and boot with those, then hot insert the new one.  Connecting to a PC and removing all partitions on the new one before hand may also help.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements