× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OS X Filenames - backup failure - containing characters like / > ?

NAS-SAN-NAS
Aspirant

OS X Filenames - backup failure - containing characters like / > ?

Backup jobs fail presumably  because certain OS X filennames can't be copied.

For example original filename:
.AC33E0B7-5909-458C-8A1C-0ECA51A0EA8B/ABSubscriptionRecord.abcds

The backup job completes with a failure - log says:
Failed to copy file '/data/Documents/users-imac/beate/Library/Application Support/AddressBook/Metadata/.AC33E0B7-5909-458C-8A1C-0ECA51A0EA8B:ABSubscriptionRecord.abcds' (error: No such file or directory)!

Although SMB and AFP protocol are switched on backup jobs fail, probably because the files contain certain characters that are allowed under OS X but maybe not unnder ReadyOS:
"/" "?" ">" It seems that filenames containing these characters are rejected?

If these files are copied by drag & drop the characters are replaced by "_", but when using a backup job they just completely fail.
So it is an nuisance if you can't rely on the backup jobs and filenames allowed under OS X fail to be copied / backed up onto a ReadyNAS

--
Any ideas, solutions or ReadyOS-Updates to solve these filename issues?

Yours NAS-SAN-NAS

Config.: ReadyNAS 316 24 TB, Firmware 6.4.2; OSX 10.9.5 - intending to back up data from MacbookPro, Imac and external drives

P.S.

I know that with TimeMachine these files can be backed up onto ReadyNAS. But that's beside the point as I just want to back up safely Data  from Data-Partitions or attached external drives with filenames allowed under OS X!

Model: ReadyNAS-OS6|,RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

I doubt there is a perfect solution.  Apple recommends a "best practice" of  avoiding those characters in file names ( https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202808 ).  Though I think in your example the issue is likely the :

I suppose the backup could do the same character mapping as a copy, but wouldn't that cause issues on the restore?

You could try backing up to an iscsi lun formatted as HFS+, - which would require the backup to run on the mac, not the NAS.

Message 2 of 4
NAS-SAN-NAS
Aspirant

Thank you StephenB, it's a pitty that the ReadyNAS backup jobs cannot handle the files directly containing characters allowed under OSX. I would like to try your workaround suggestion. I created a ISCSI LUN GROUP and created a iSCSI LUN and assigned it to the LUN GROUP. But I cannot find an instruction how to access and format that LUN as HFS+ from OSX?
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

The problem is that the PC needs an "iSCSI initiator".  Windows has that built-in, but the mac does not.  

Here are two you could try for free - kernsafe's free version isn't time-limited, so maybe try that first???: 

http://www.kernsafe.com/product/iscsi-san-macos/license-compares.aspx

http://www.studionetworksolutions.com/globalsan-iscsi-initiator/  

There might be others, hopefully folks using iSCSI on OSX will chime in.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements