× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OS6.2 On ReadyNAS Pro 6

oshae
Tutor

OS6.2 On ReadyNAS Pro 6

Anyone have any experience installing R6 on this specific R4 unit? Any issues with the installation or post-intsall?

I've been doing some reading. Is it really as simple as installing the R4toR6 prep addon and then updating the firmware with official 6.2 download? I realize a factory default is required as part of the process.
Message 1 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes. If you install the Prep add-on the factory will be triggered automatically as part of the update process at the appropriate time.
Message 2 of 9
gibxxi
Guide

Am I right in thinking you install the two addons one after another without a reboot in between and just reboot when prompted (as usual) with the firmware update? Just double-checking before I attempt to upgrade my Pro 4.
Message 3 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes, prep add-on first, then the other one. No need to reboot in between. When you install the second one you will be prompted to reboot. After you reboot the system the internal flash will be updated and the prep add-on will trigger the factory reset at the appropriate time.
Message 4 of 9
howarddavidp
Aspirant

Hello,

I just got a ReadyNas Pro 6, model RNDP6000-200, and it has R4 latest on it.

So, if I am reading everything correct, I can use the Prep image, then go straight to 6.2, and my ReadyNas Pro 6 will be running the latest R6 firmware? If this is the case, that is awesome!

Can someone please confirm, is there anything I should know, will it be slow? Should I upgrade the RAM?

Thanks,

David
Message 5 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

howarddavidp wrote:
So, if I am reading everything correct, I can use the Prep image, then go straight to 6.2, and my ReadyNas Pro 6 will be running the latest R6 firmware? If this is the case, that is awesome!

Yes. Also, if you don't like it you can go back: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=75198
Message 6 of 9
howarddavidp
Aspirant

Hello,

I did the deal this weekend, and I now own the ReadyNAS Pro 6. I traded my ReadyNAS NV+ V1 and $350 (in the form of 2 x 27" LG TV/Monitors) to my friend for his ReadyNAS PRo 6, which he never used. I had a single 2TB WD Red drive to start with, so I used that. I have many questions, none of which go in the category, so I will ask those elsewhere.

I am going to try and do the 6.2 upgrade this weekend, hopefully it will work. I would really like to have a SYSLOG server for my Router and other servers in my house, I also have an IDS too. IF I can get the TFTP PXE running with Acronis, that would also be nice )which also means it will become my DHCP server).

Thanks for your replies, I will let everyone know how it goes once I get it done.

David
Message 7 of 9
sircoolio
Tutor

If one was upgrading a ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer 6 or Ultra 6 (i have both), it is required or advantageous to upgrade the RAM. Advantageous relative to increased performance with 6.x?
Message 8 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If the memory is swapping then yes. If not, then the benefit may be marginal. It does depend what you will be using the NAS for, what features you will use, which apps you will run etc.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements