× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

OS6 - FSTAB to Mount a Second NAS

Aspirant

OS6 - FSTAB to Mount a Second NAS

So, this should be easy, but I've wasted a few days on this and just can't find any infomration out there about how to modify my fstab on my 516 to mount a share from another 516.   

I have to 516's.   One is my workhorse which runs lots of apps and the other is a NAS that powers up once a day to pull backups from my main NAS (NAS01 & NAS01).   NAS01 is working too hard and ois not able to record well with Plex's DVR feature.    

My brilliant plan is to move most of my other apps that may be taking up resources but don't need to run quite as often to my other NAS, NAS02.   I've moved SickRage, CouchPotato, and Headphones to NAS02.  I'm leaving SABnzbd, Resilio, Plex, tinyRSS, and cal/cardDAV on NAS01.  

I want those apps on NAS02 to send their data and have their watch folders on NAS01.   I can easily send nzb files that sickrage, couchpotato, and headphones finds/needs to SABnzbd on NAS01 with the http address and the appropriate api key.   What I can't do is set the watch folders for those three apps to my download folders on NAS01.   

I don't care if the mount is CIFS or NFS (or AFP, or smoke signals).   I've tried multiple combinations of fstab entries and usually, I just end up with an empty mount point folder.   My latest attempts do return an error, so I'm led to believe that Frontview is using the FSTAB entries and not using some other basterdized utility.

Here's what my current fstab entries are (that don't work):

//192.168.67.101/Downloads /mnt/nas01-downloads cifs noauto,x-systemd.automount,user=root,password=1234,iocharset=utf8,noperm,nounix,nobri 0 0
//192.168.67.101/Music /mnt/nas01-music cifs noauto,x-systemd.automount,user=root,password=1234#,iocharset=utf8,noperm,nounix,nobri 0 0
//192.168.67.101/Videos /mnt/nas01-videos cifs noauto,x-systemd.automount,user=root,password=1234,iocharset=utf8,noperm,nounix,nobri 0 0

And this is the error that I'm currently getting:

root@NAS02:/mnt# -bash: cd: /mnt/nas01-downloads: No such device

root@NAS02:/mnt# -bash: cd: /mnt/nas01-music: No such device

root@NAS02/mnt# -bash: cd: /mnt/nas01-videos: No such device

This should work, right?   I can connect if I manually mount these shares with CIFS, but I want these points to mount automatically and can't figure out what's wrong with my fstab entry.

Message 1 of 6
Aspirant

Re: OS6 - FSTAB to Mount a Second NAS

Ok...maybe I'm just losing braincells....  I want to edit this entry due to some typos that I found after I posted and I can't seem to do that either.    Maybe I should just head back to bed this morning...   Is there really no way to edit these messages?

Message 2 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

I do that to have shares on another NAS available to OwnCloud (since it's native external file capbility seems broken).

You first need to create a directory to be the target.  (This may be what you forgot).  Let's say I want it to be "External".  Then you

mkdir /data/External

Now, if you want to mount the "Exported" share on the NAS at 192.168.1.200 in "External", you add this to fstab:

192.168.1.200/data/Exported /data/External nfs rw 0 0

This assumes that you want to export via NFS (which I recommend, since it is a native Linux file system), and so you have to have NFS enabled for the "Exported" share (or share in which "Exported" resides if it's a directory within a share).  Turning on NFS for the share on the ReadyNAS puts the share in the /etc/exports file, so you don't need to do that yourself (in case you are Googling and it tells you to do that).  You can use CIFS instead (lower case in the fstab entry) if there is a reason you don't want to use NFS and CIFS is enabled for the share.  There are some other options as well, but these are typical.

I tried using the NAS name, and it seems to fail sometimes.  Using the IP address works consistently for me as long as the exporting NAS is on when the importing NAS boots.

Note that when you do this, the NAS may show you a "phantom" volume on the volumes page.  Mine didn't until I upgraded to 6.8.x., then it did, but later it went away.  At least I'm fairly certain this was the cause.

Message 3 of 6
Aspirant

Ok... so been at this for a few hours since I saw your reply.

NFS is enabled on both NAS (NAS01-192.168.67.101 and NAS02-192.168.67.102).

I created a directory on NAS02 at /data/External (following your instructions letter by letter just in case..lol)

My /etc/fstab on NAS02 includes a line showing: 192.168.67.101/data/Downloads /data/External nfs rw 0 0

After full reboots...almost a hundred now... I connect via SSH to NAS02, navigate to /data/External and do an LS command...and the list is empty.

Thoughts?

Message 4 of 6
Aspirant

Oh...and if I do it manually with :mount -t nfs 192.168.67.101:/data/Downloads /data/External then it works... but if I use an fstab entry, it doesnt....

Message 5 of 6
Aspirant

It came down to a missing ":"  Robot Frustrated

This worked:

192.168.67.101:/data/Downloads /mnt/nas01-downloads nfs rw 0 0
192.168.67.101:/data/Music /mnt/nas01-music nfs rw 0 0
192.168.67.101:/data/Videos /mnt/nas01-videos nfs rw 0 0

Thank you!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats