× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OS6 now works on x86 Legacy WARNING: NO NTGR SUPPORT!

chirpa
Luminary

troy14 wrote:
I have a ReadyNAS Ultra 2, will running OS 6 on this unit function exactly like the 102 would?
Most of it would be the same, but like mdgm said, few features like Backup Button may not work. Also, it would be closer to the 312, not the 102. The 102 is an ARM CPU, much slower than the Ultra2. The 3xx series is basically just a newer Atom chip that the Ultra 2 uses, otherwise the same hardware.
Message 651 of 1,275
arnomc
Aspirant

I finally succeed to finish the instal of OS6 on my Ultra2. Thanks to mdgm and everyone participating in this thread.
I have a question though : I stopped the erase yesterday and now when I get into the OS6 web interface i see 'currently rebuilding 5%' (and now time is decreasing normally 🙂 )
Just to be sure : is it normal that the NAS is making a rebuild even if there was nothing on the drive ?
mdgm wrote:
Otherwise you might have an issue with the disks being locked (though that could be fixed remotely if needed).

mdgm : Because I stopped the "erase", when could the drives happen to be locked up ? During rebuilding or when I will write back all my data ?
Just want to be extra sure that I won't have a problem weeks later 😉
Message 652 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

arnomc wrote:
I finally succeed to finish the instal of OS6 on my Ultra2. Thanks to mdgm and everyone participating in this thread.
I have a question though : I stopped the erase yesterday and now when I get into the OS6 web interface i see 'currently rebuilding 5%' (and now time is decreasing normally 🙂 )
Just to be sure : is it normal that the NAS is making a rebuild even if there was nothing on the drive ?

Yes it is normal. The disks need to be synced sector by sector to setup the RAID.
arnomc wrote:

mdgm wrote:
Otherwise you might have an issue with the disks being locked (though that could be fixed remotely if needed).

mdgm : Because I stopped the "erase", when could the drives happen to be locked up ? During rebuilding or when I will write back all my data ?
Just want to be extra sure that I won't have a problem weeks later 😉

If each time you reboot the NAS another factory default takes place then probably the disks are locked.
Message 653 of 1,275
arnomc
Aspirant

I still have one hour to wait until the end of the synchronization, then I'll try to reboot and see what happened *finger crossed*.
In order to safely try to put OS6, I removed the old Samsung drives from my Ultra2. I have read there ( viewtopic.php?f=20&t=46755 ) that the file format is ext3 or ext4. Windows can't read ext, can macOS read it ? I mean, would I have any access rights issue, or anything else (block size) ?
My obvious goal is to put back the data on the new drives with the help of another computer (either mac or linux-PC)
arnomc
Message 654 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Not sure about Mac, but you definitely can mount it using Linux

Just need to install mdadm, lvm2, start the RAID, scan for the volume, activate it and mount it.
Message 655 of 1,275
arnomc
Aspirant

Would it be possible to do this with a linux-liveCD like UBCD(aka UltimateBootCD) ? I am used to Gparted (very useful !!)
edit: great ! my drives are not locked 😄
Message 656 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There would be a LiveCD that can do it I would think. I don't know if the UBCD would do it or something else.
Message 657 of 1,275
spiderman1
Guide

Hi guys,

Have any of you tried OS6 on a Readynas Pro not Pro 6 and what problems have you encountered thus far?

I would like to try to out on my Pro, yet I am somewhat hesitant.

Thanks.

😄
Message 658 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I don't have either of those models but you can easily go back to 4.2.24 if you try OS6 and don't like it. Though going back to 4.2.24 would require another factory default.
Message 659 of 1,275
Iridabike
Aspirant

I am still struggling to get the temps and fans working properly on my Pro 6 with 6.1.1.

Can someone who now has it working on a system running 6.1.1 tell me if they have a file called .mon_enclosure present on their system and if so what it contains?

Cheers

/T
Message 660 of 1,275
acewun
Aspirant

I am also having problems getting temps and fans working reliably on a Pro 6. I have upgraded to an E7600 if that makes a difference. As I write this, my temps are being logged in Frontview, but not sure if it will survive a reboot. I have been struggling with this for a week now.

Installed 6.1.1 on my Pro 4 this morning, then installed fancontrol, and graphs and all work correctly. The fan speed and temperature animations are working correctly. I don't know why it works correctly with one and not the other.
Message 661 of 1,275
glem
Aspirant

Iridabike wrote:

Can someone who now has it working on a system running 6.1.1 tell me if they have a file called .mon_enclosure present on their system and if so what it contains?

In which directory would be this file ?
Message 662 of 1,275
Iridabike
Aspirant

I am not sure. Can you search from the root:

find . | grep .mon_enclsoure
Message 663 of 1,275
StephenB
Guru

It's not on my RN102.
Message 664 of 1,275
MACDaHac
Aspirant

Just did an update via webinterface on my Ultra 2, and the NAS does not respond.

Please help, I do not have back-up of my data!

Edit1: I did a manual reboot, and I can connect again ... fals alarm, fans + temp graph are also ok:

Edit2: since yesterday I am getting these warnings on 6.1.1:
Fan 'Fan' in enclosure 'Internal' speed is below threshold. (396 rpm).]

Any idea how to deal with these? What is the minimal fan speed on ultra2?

Greeting,
MAC
Message 665 of 1,275
platini76
Aspirant

it seems to be a problem on 6.1.1 .
if you read some post back... I had the similar problem... now after a downgrade I have nas alive till 4 days..
Message 666 of 1,275
yupsolo
Aspirant

OMG,

after a week on OS 6 on my ultra2(and running fine+fan control optimized), I got this famous blinking power button light+the web interface don't load: device offline error.

it seems that the OS won't load. Via Windows, I can acces still access my shares.

I tried OS reload, same problem.

I'm in process in backing up all and reinstall the OS 6 via USB...

I'll post later my results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
Message 667 of 1,275
platini76
Aspirant

don't lose your time, after 3-4 people, I think that is an os problem.
I suggest you to downgrade... for me it solve.
Message 668 of 1,275
yupsolo
Aspirant

Maybe.... on top of that, I feel my data are unsafe on OS 6....

but I realy like the feature of that OS.

I'll let my backups ends and see after that.

thx
Message 669 of 1,275
Iridabike
Aspirant

Anyone know how to setup a dns server on OS6? By default connman seems to be listening on port 53 but it doesn't seem to respond to any network traffic.
Message 670 of 1,275
yupsolo
Aspirant

yupsolo wrote:
OMG,

after a week on OS 6 on my ultra2(and running fine+fan control optimized), I got this famous blinking power button light+the web interface don't load: device offline error.

it seems that the OS won't load. Via Windows, I can acces still access my shares.

I tried OS reload, same problem.

I'm in process in backing up all and reinstall the OS 6 via USB...

I'll post later my results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

I tried the USB thing with 2 usb drive: it did'nt boot on them... (rawwrite was used...)

factory default did worked well....

it's really a good thing but was destructive on my data

😞
Message 671 of 1,275
Iridabike
Aspirant

Had a power cut and now my Pro 6 is stuck checking Root FS and wont boot. Its been like this for two days. Any ideas? If I select reinstall OS from the maintenance mode will it help?

Ignore this. OS reinstall sorted it.
Message 672 of 1,275
ATCIS
Tutor

OS 6.1.1 on Legacy Hardware TiVo Support

Configuration basics:

Platform ----- ReadyNAS Pro 6
OS ---------- v6.1.1
RAM -------- 4GB's
Hard Drives -- 6 X 2TB's

I have been slowly migrating all my data from another Pro 6 running RAIDiator v4.2.24 to this one running OS v6.1.1. Tonight I finished migrating all my multimedia files to include archived TiVo recordings. I followed the instructions found here - http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23070 but could not get past step 6. I have entered my TiVo's Media Access Key like 20 times, but the status never changes from unauthorized to whatever it is supposed to be.

Anyone else had any luck with this? Helpful links, suggested workarounds, command line hacks, etc. welcomed. . .

Thanks in advance!
Message 673 of 1,275
arnomc
Aspirant

On my legacy Ultra2 I had false CPU temp readings (serrated, like a wood saw, saying the cpu went up close to 70°C degrees).
Then I upgraded from 6.1.1 to 6.1.2 and I noticed an nice improvement in the CPU temperature reading that doesn't cause anymore the fan to ramp up to it's 2200rpm maximum (this is not documented in the release notes ; understandable if it didn't occur on ReadyNAS 3xx/5xx).
The inconsistent noise level was really annoying!! So I am now a happy OS6 user :woot: I didn't had to apply any command line fix for the temp reading neither fan speed the fan.
PS: see the full post with screen captures there : viewtopic.php?f=51&t=71155&start=57
Message 674 of 1,275
ATCIS
Tutor

Re: OS 6.1.1 on Legacy Hardware TiVo Support

ATCIS wrote:

I have been slowly migrating all my data from another Pro 6 running RAIDiator v4.2.24 to this one running OS v6.1.1. Tonight I finished migrating all my multimedia files to include archived TiVo recordings. I followed the instructions found here - http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23070 but could not get past step 6. I have entered my TiVo's Media Access Key like 20 times, but the status never changes from unauthorized to whatever it is supposed to be.

Anyone else had any luck with this? Helpful links, suggested workarounds, command line hacks, etc. welcomed. . .

So no words of of wisdom from the community then? 😞
Message 675 of 1,275
Top Contributors
Announcements