× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OS6 now works on x86 Legacy

maboehme
Aspirant

Hi!
Finaly I was able to install LogAnalyzer on a Pro6 running 6.1.8 via apt-get (no change to install it via frotview, btw.). Now I see some "WRONG FILE OWNER " messages in the logs for the following files:

Messagetype 	Syslog
Syslogtag /usr/sbin/cron
ProcessID 1725
Message (root) WRONG FILE OWNER (crontabs/root)

Messagetype 	Syslog
Syslogtag /usr/sbin/cron
ProcessID 1725
Message (*system*poweroff) WRONG FILE OWNER (/etc/cron.d/poweroff)

Messagetype 	Syslog
Syslogtag /usr/sbin/cron
ProcessID 1725
Message (*system*php5) WRONG FILE OWNER (/etc/cron.d/php5)

At the moment these are the owners:
:/etc/cron.d# ls -l
total 4
-rw-r--r-- 1 guest guest 565 Mar 4 2013 php5
-rw-r--r-- 1 guest guest 0 Oct 28 2013 poweroff

I don't know which 'file' is
(root) WRONG FILE OWNER (crontabs/root)

Who should be the owner of these files?

Best regards,
Martin
Message 1126 of 1,275
arnomc
Aspirant

I just had now a very strange behavior of my legacy NAS under 6.1.8 :
I couldn't access it via web interface neither by SSH !! still... I can access the shared folders from my mac.
My router is set to give a specific IP for the MAC address of my Ultra2. No response to ping on this address neither on 9 adresses in lower and upper range.
So either the NAS changed his IP on its own despite the router's config either it's a very weird bug !!
I rebooted once the router and nothing changed.
Of course after a full reboot of both NAS and router it is now working again with the expected assigned IP. But that hickup was surprising ! (I didn't tried to use raidar on my pc).
Message 1127 of 1,275
Sandshark
Sensei

ATCIS wrote:
Mine shuts down just fine also. . .
1.) Log in to GUI
2.) Click on "Shut Down"
3.) Within 30 to 45 seconds NAS is powered down
4.) Wait 3 to 5 minutes (never actually timed it)
5.) Pro 6 turns itself back on

The only way to prevent it from coming back on all by itself is to flip the physical power switch on the back of the NAS. . .

My Pro6 definitely does not do this. This is a typical sign of a failing power supply, so it likely has little to do with OS6, except perhaps that using it put more stress on the supply and accelerated its demise.
Message 1128 of 1,275
ATCIS
Tutor

Sandshark wrote:

My Pro6 definitely does not do this. This is a typical sign of a failing power supply, so it likely has little to do with OS6, except perhaps that using it put more stress on the supply and accelerated its demise.

Thanks for your opinion. . .
Message 1129 of 1,275
sander11
Aspirant

I have an ultra 4 which I am using to backup my main pro 6 before upgrading it as well. I had a lock up overnight while copying the data, the machine appeared to lock hard not responding to ping request or button pushes (outside of a hard reset). I down loaded the logs, but don't see any obvious errors, is there one log I should look at which may provide some insight?
I like OS6 a lot, but 4.2.x has been a proven performer over the years.
Message 1130 of 1,275
Pasala
Aspirant

Hello all,

what system would you guys recommend setting up for max reliability and good speed:
It is a ReadyNas ProPioneer x86 system with 6 3TB drives

1) OS6 with btrfs-raid5

2) NAS4free with ZFS

Already read this thread and this one about ZFS and FreeNAS: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=74678

Is btrfs in OS6 stable enough now for daily use?
Does the automatic file repair described in the arstechnica article here http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/01/bitrot-and-atomic-cows-inside-next-gen-filesystems/2/ work on the Netgear?
Switching to btrfs would lead to a data reset of an existing XRAID2 setup?
Do Add ons like plex media server work on the x86 legacy devices?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the newbie questions.
PAS
Message 1131 of 1,275
StephenB
Guru

Pasala wrote:
what system would you guys recommend setting up for max reliability and good speed...
There's nothing wrong with keeping the 4.2.x firmware in place either. If you want to increase data safety, you could use raid-6/dual redundancy (either with 4.2.x or btrfs).

Pasala wrote:
Is btrfs in OS6 stable enough now for daily use?
In my opinion yes.
Pasala wrote:
Does the automatic file repair described in the arstechnica article here http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... systems/2/ work on the Netgear?
Netgear does not use the btrfs-raid modes. Instead it uses normal software RAID with btrfs. Note normal raid will handle that scenario if the disk write (or read) were to fail - which is the usual case.
Pasala wrote:
Switching to btrfs would lead to a data reset of an existing XRAID2 setup?
You would need to totally rebuild the NAS, including restoring data.
Pasala wrote:
Do Add ons like plex media server work on the x86 legacy devices?
Each platform type has its own add-ons. plex is available for the x86 legacy devices.
Message 1132 of 1,275
Pasala
Aspirant

Thank you very much for your answers.

I was looking for a new operating system for my Netgear because it has quite a lot of problems
(e.g. total failure when copying files with AFP on Macs, low speeds with SMB and quite some bit rots -exactly what is described in the arstechnica article).
At this instance it would probably be a good idea using a new OS either OS6 by Netgear or FreeNas/Nas4free with ZFS to prevent these kind of failures with more data safety.

If Netgear uses software RAID with btrfs does the array have the same self healing functionality as a redundant hardware raid like btrfs-raid5 or btrfs-raid1?

If not that would probably mean the need to go for ZFS.

Anyway thanks for the help.
Message 1133 of 1,275
StephenB
Guru

Pasala wrote:
...quite some bit rots -exactly what is described in the arstechnica article
The scenario in the arstechnica article is very rare. It assumes that the data somehow was written to the disk incorrectly (or that the data silently changes without being re-written). In either case, the reads and writes are completing with no error reported to the driver.

Sorry to be sound skeptical here, but if you were seeing these routinely I am thinking something else was going on.

Pasala wrote:
If Netgear uses software RAID with btrfs does the array have the same self healing functionality as a redundant hardware raid like btrfs-raid5 or btrfs-raid1?
Again, no. If a read fails, RAID kicks in. If a write fails, the normal reallocated sector occurs. If the I/O doesn't fail, but the data is invalid, software RAID doesn't help you.
Message 1134 of 1,275
Pasala
Aspirant

Ok. Thank you.

StephenB wrote:

Sorry to be sound skeptical here, but if you were seeing these routinely I am thinking something else was going on.

Routinely is probably an overstatement. It happened to about 5 - 8 photo files and 2 -3 video files in 4 years.
But you are right there are quite some issues going on on my ReadyNAS, which mounted after rebuilding and upgrading the NAS because of a fatal disk failure.
Another issue is an AFP failure which makes several Macs crash by putting the finder.app hors de combat every time the Mac is connected via the AFP protocol and copies data. SMB works but horribly slow at 5 MB/s. ...

So the faith in the ReadyNAS as a reliable storage system is really low at the moment.

One last question:
When one disconnecs the drives of an existing X-RAID2 stripe before using the ReadyNAS OS6 "hack", testing it with other HDDs
and then downgrade eventually back to RAIDiator 4.2 installing them back
does the system recognise the existing RAID or does it ask to do a factory reset and delete all data on the RAID array?

All according to this manual: http://netgear.nas-central.org/wiki/OS6_on_Legacy_x86

Thank you very much for the help.
PAS
Message 1135 of 1,275
StephenB
Guru

If you downgraded on the test disks, it would do a reset on them.
After that you could reinstall the original disks, and it would recognize them with no problem.

Ideally label the original disks by slot # when you remove them.
Message 1136 of 1,275
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Re: ReadyNAS Pro 6 does not like being turned off

ATCIS wrote:
Here's a quick question for the x86 Legacy Gang:

Has anyone else ever noticed that if you shut down a ReadyNAS Pro 6 (via the GUI) running OS6, that it will automatically power itself back on after approximately 5 minutes? I also have an Ultra 4, and it does not exhibit this strange behavior.

Try enabling WoL.
Message 1137 of 1,275
Xophile
Aspirant

Hi!

I recently updated my Ultra 4 to OS6 (more info to come!). It works fine but why is there a "data-filer"?

Before I could have \\READYNAS\Pictures
Now it's \\READYNAS\data\Pictures

Thanks!
Message 1138 of 1,275
StephenB
Guru

Data is the volume name, and you should only be seeing that with CIFS/SMB if you are using admin credentials to access the NAS. If you were doing that with OS4, you'd have seen \\READYNAS\C\Pictures.

You are saying that just entering \\ReadyNAS doesn't show you the Pictures share?

BTW you do need the /data/ for NFS (which can be a nuisance).
Message 1139 of 1,275
ATCIS
Tutor

Re: ReadyNAS Pro 6 does not like being turned off

Skywalker wrote:

Try enabling WoL.

Thanks for the reply Skywalker!
After doing a bit more testing, I discovered that the symptoms that I described previously was quite rare (happens maybe 1 out of 10 times I tried). Since the particular Pro 6 in question is powered on probably 99.8% of the time, it is not really an issue of grave concern. However, as I have stated in the past, I do sincerely appreciate your input!
Message 1140 of 1,275
Xophile
Aspirant

StephenB: I was transferring a bit of data back after the os6 upgrade. Then I received a message "cannot connect discovery service" and I haven't been able to contact the NAS again. Any ideas?

I'll report back later about the data-folder
Message 1141 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sounds like your NAS has not only lost its connection to the internet, but also to your network.
Message 1142 of 1,275
Xophile
Aspirant

Could it be a simple dhcp issue? Can I reset only the network settings somehow?
Message 1143 of 1,275
Xophile
Aspirant

Rebooted my router and changed to etho1. Working again... Will report back once all data is transferred!
Message 1144 of 1,275
biffsbiz
Aspirant

I have been having this problem as well. My ReadyNAS Pro keeps changing it's IP address, which means that I have to continually change my PC's IP address. I am unable to use 6.1.8 Web Admin to change the Pro's IP to a static IP. It just ignores the APPLY and does nothing. The display on the Pro also says that it "cannot connect discovery service." I do not have an Internet connection on this switch, so that is understandable. How can I stop the Pro from looking for "discovery service" and just stay in offline mode? I am hoping that this will allow me to configure eth0 to a static address. Also, eth1 is not accessable from within 6.1.8 Web Admin, it is just grayed out. Another issue is that RAIDar can never find this ReadyNAS Pro. I am probably going to switch back to OS4 if these problems cannot be resolved. :cry:
Message 1145 of 1,275
StephenB
Guru

Can you temporarily hook it up to a router that has dhcp enabled? Then after it has a dynamic address, try setting it to a static one.
Message 1146 of 1,275
Xophile
Aspirant

I got it up and running.

All data is soon transferred.

Have a few more questions:

1. Was it possible to move files between to completely separate shares with this code:
# cp -a --reflink /data/Backup/file /data/Documents/
# rm /data/Backup/file

2. I have a fresh, external hdd (2TB) which is formatted as NTFS in Windows 7. I can't see it when I connect it to the NAS. Doesn't that work for legacy OS6?
3. Network discovery is an another small "issue", when I browse the network I can't find it but when I browse to th IP-number it works. Anything I need to activate/change for this?

Thanks again!
Message 1147 of 1,275
Xophile
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
Data is the volume name, and you should only be seeing that with CIFS/SMB if you are using admin credentials to access the NAS. If you were doing that with OS4, you'd have seen \\READYNAS\C\Pictures.

You are saying that just entering \\ReadyNAS doesn't show you the Pictures share?

BTW you do need the /data/ for NFS (which can be a nuisance).

I tried without admin and \\READYNAS\Pictures works fine.

If I use a torrent client I need to configure the data storage location as \data\Pictures though...
Message 1148 of 1,275
StephenB
Guru

Xophile wrote:
If I use a torrent client I need to configure the data storage location as \data\Pictures though...
You mean a torrent client running on the NAS?
Message 1149 of 1,275
Xophile
Aspirant

Yes, on the NAS
Message 1150 of 1,275
Top Contributors
Announcements