× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OS6 now works on x86 Legacy

StephenB
Guru

Xophile wrote:
Yes, on the NAS
And if you had the same client with 4.2.x firmware, you'd need \C\Pictures

If this is a question, please clarify it.
Message 1151 of 1,275
biffsbiz
Aspirant

biffsbiz wrote:
I have been having this problem as well. My ReadyNAS Pro keeps changing it's IP address, which means that I have to continually change my PC's IP address. I am unable to use 6.1.8 Web Admin to change the Pro's IP to a static IP. It just ignores the APPLY and does nothing. The display on the Pro also says that it "cannot connect discovery service." I do not have an Internet connection on this switch, so that is understandable. How can I stop the Pro from looking for "discovery service" and just stay in offline mode? I am hoping that this will allow me to configure eth0 to a static address. Also, eth1 is not accessable from within 6.1.8 Web Admin, it is just grayed out. Another issue is that RAIDar can never find this ReadyNAS Pro. I am probably going to switch back to OS4 if these problems cannot be resolved. :cry:

I gave up on OS6. There seem to be too many issues. 4.2.26 just seems to work. Maybe it's because my Pro6 is the 100 series?
Message 1152 of 1,275
Dave_Ams
Tutor

The just published 6.1.9 RC5 version doesn't seem to make a difference in regards to temprature. Initially it seemed to work better with the fan running at 1400rpm but it has since slowed to 800-900 with the ocasional stop.
Message 1153 of 1,275
Jeepfreak
Aspirant

I've got dumb question. First off not a ssh expert by any means. I upgraded and decided to downgrade, got all the way to the point of updating the firmware and am lost. I've followed the wiki using terminal on a mac and just don't know how to grab the file that was prepped in the terminal window?
Message 1154 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You want to downgrade your ReadyNAS Pro from ReadyNAS OS 6 back to 4.2.x or do you mean something else?
Message 1155 of 1,275
Arafel
Aspirant

Is there an up to date wiki on this project? I have a readynas ultra 2 I am considering updating to this. I have been reading through the posts as I backup my data but with 77 pages of posts its a lot to go through to find the most up to date information. Is the fan speed issue still a problem? First few posts make it sound bad but a possible fix a few pages in. Thank you everyone who has contributed to this looks like a fun weekend of tinkering ahead.
Message 1156 of 1,275
Xophile
Aspirant

OS6 running perfectly fine on my Ultra 4. Had some issues with network discovery but nothing major.
Message 1157 of 1,275
arnomc
Aspirant

-> Arafel:
I also have an Ultra 2 and it's been a long time that the fan speed is fixed on our model (when I install OS 6 in sept 2014, it worked from the beginning like in OS 4.x and I never had anything to do on my Ultra 2. I believe it was OS 6.0.8 and we are currently at 6.1.8 ).
Message 1158 of 1,275
meche
Aspirant

I, after changing my two hard drive on Ready nas Ultra 2, i have a strange issue.

The front view work fine, but my installed app list is now empty, i know the app are installed on the primary hard drive, but, the avaible app list is empty to. I have try to install one off them directly with source file. The front view say is installed, but, the app list stay empty.

Have you some idea to help me ?

Thanks
Message 1159 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

meche,
perhaps you could backup your data and do a factory reset, then restore your data from backup.

How do you know they are installed?

Have you SSH'd in?

If the apps are there in the /apps folder have you tried SSHing in, changing the working directory into the folder for the app and doing e.g.

touch .localapp

to see if it makes any difference?
Message 1160 of 1,275
meche
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
meche,
perhaps you could backup your data and do a factory reset, then restore your data from backup.

How do you know they are installed?

Have you SSH'd in?

If the apps are there in the /apps folder have you tried SSHing in, changing the working directory into the folder for the app and doing e.g.

touch .localapp

to see if it makes any difference?

Hi, i have no enough space to save my data out off the nas 😕

I don't know if the installation of addon do properly, but with ssh i can see the folder of addon in apps folder.

Sorry, but i don't understand what i need to do ->> If the apps are there in the /apps folder have you tried SSHing in, changing the working directory into the folder for the app and doing e.g.

thanks 🙂
Message 1161 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

e.g. for Plex Media Server if the .localapp file is not already present try

# cd /apps/plexmediaserver
# ls -la
# touch .localapp

Also if the Genie service is enabled make sure you disable that.
Message 1162 of 1,275
meche
Aspirant

I have try your instructions for all applications listed in apps folder.

This change nothing in the front view, also i have perform a reboot, but no change
Message 1163 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well then I would suggest you backup your data and do a factory reset, then restore your data from backup.

You should backup your data regularly regardless of if you are having issues or not. If your data is important to you don't trust it to just the one device.
Message 1164 of 1,275
meche
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Well then I would suggest you backup your data and do a factory reset, then restore your data from backup.

You should backup your data regularly regardless of if you are having issues or not. If your data is important to you don't trust it to just the one device.

I agree with you.

Any chance to resolve this situation with the next firmware update ?
Message 1165 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I don't know, but I doubt a firmware update would address this.

You are best to backup your data and do a factory reset (wipes all data, settings, everything) then restore data from backup.
Message 1166 of 1,275
meche
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
I don't know, but I doubt a firmware update would address this.

You are best to backup your data and do a factory reset (wipes all data, settings, everything) then restore data from backup.

i had test with the OS 6.18 last week end this did nothing new 😕

What if i make a factory reset without my 2nd hard drive, and plug it after process ? my two disk are on JBOD.
Message 1167 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That wouldn't work. The OS partition is on both disks. Backup your data etc.
Message 1168 of 1,275
meche
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
That wouldn't work. The OS partition is on both disks. Backup your data etc.

Oky, thanks again for your help 😄
Message 1169 of 1,275
schalliol
Aspirant

About two (edit: five) hours ago I begun trying this with my Ultra 4 Plus which has three 2TB Seagate Constellation ES drives. I used the 4 to 6 image found in this thread and told it to reboot. I expected to see it in RAIDar, but I did/do not. I had used super-poussin's teaming add-on and had run a dual gigabit team linked connection. Figuring this might be undone, about 20 minutes ago I switched cabling to a single NIC.

The display on the device just says "Booting...New disk added" Is this something I should expect to continue to see a while without any network connectivity in RAIDar or on the Web? I checked the DHCP server and see no hits from the MAC address, and don't see anything in the switch's MAC table either (ethernet link shows live). If it's doing a full re-sync and such before it will offer network activity, that's fine, but it could take a while only to find out it's just straight up hung. If it's hung, I guess I would just reboot first by trying the button and then power cycling.

Would it be advisable to factory default with a single drive in place and add others? If a power cycle doesn't work, would I try to do an original restore from the button on the front and then try again? Thanks!
Message 1170 of 1,275
schalliol
Aspirant

I factory defaulted again and I was good to go it seems.
Message 1171 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sounds like something weird may have happened with the update if you didn't install the Prep add-on.

Did you install the Prep add-on before installing the R4 to R6 image?

If you don't install the Prep add-on the NAS will simply install OS6 over the top of OS4 (without wiping OS4) on the 4GB OS partition.

At some point in the boot process it will hang and you need to power down and do a factory default.

The prep add-on tells the NAS to trigger a factory default after OS6 has been put on the internal flash but early enough in the boot process that it doesn't get stuck. When the script the prep add-on places on your NAS is run, the NAS will immediately reboot and do a factory default.
Message 1172 of 1,275
schalliol
Aspirant

I think that was my mistake and it appears the factory default took care of it. We'll see! Thanks!
Message 1173 of 1,275
ClubChapin
Aspirant

I've read maybe the first 15 pages of this thread. Will read the most recent 5 or so pages.

Quick question, is the current procedure for this upgrade the steps listed in post 3?

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=70133#p389083

Do I do both or either "BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP" steps 1 - 5 and "OS6 in 3 Steps" 1 - 3?

Would the "Optional: R4 to R6" happen before steo 1 of "OS6 in 3 Steps"?

Thanks, Pete
Message 1174 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I should tidy this up.

Backup your data, Install the optional add-on, then do the OS6 in three steps.
Message 1175 of 1,275
Top Contributors
Announcements