× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

OS6 now works on x86 Legacy WARNING: NO NTGR SUPPORT!

InTheShires
Tutor

Re: OS6 now works on x86 Legacy WARNING: NO NTGR SUPPORT!

MattyShack wrote:

2. Most of the apps I'm referring to are the GIT Python/PHP apps (source code) that are not compiled binaries and available for free to the masses. I'm a novice, but [when I can, if I can] like helping others with like products and services. I also like being able to ask for help when I'm in a tight bind, so I give of myself to the service of others in exchange for the same. Now if/when I have that great idea that deserves a profit, I'll be the first to market.

Cheers,

Top post Matty.

I for one, appreciate you posts, your VBox post has served many a people great service, it's a top guide for any one to follow.

Thanks for posting the above on your Google Drive, I've grabbed it and will undoubtedly use it once my Ultra is back in service.

:thumbsup:
Message 826 of 1,275
Papagaiou
Aspirant

Hello everyone,

I just upgraded my ultra 2 to 6.1.4 according to this thread. Everything works fine (no issue with fan) and I could install few app from the market.
Right now, I have 1 issue.

Where do I configure the printer? It is connected but I cannot find any entry in the interface!
Sorry for dumb question...
Message 827 of 1,275
super_poussin
Virtuoso

No printer support in OS6
Message 828 of 1,275
Papagaiou
Aspirant

Hi SUper-Poussin

Actually it works. Just a shame it is not supported in the interface. This is what I did:
apt-get update
apt-get install cups libcups2
cupsctl --remote-admin
/etc/init.d/cups restart
web log to http://localhost(or your IP there):631
Use login/password for root (NOT admin)
Add printer
My lexmark e232 was not there but I found a PPD with Google that works
Enable Web sharing and sharing
Test print -->>OK
then go to windows computer add printer with full http link . USe correct windows driver.
Test printing from computer OK

Now the surprise is that AIRPRINT WORKED. out of the box.
From Ipad ios 7, select Airprint , the printer is shown then print then it goes out of the printer.
YOUPI !!!!!!!!
Message 829 of 1,275
super_poussin
Virtuoso

Will take a look
Message 830 of 1,275
super_poussin
Virtuoso

a cups addon is in the community dropbox 🙂

Enjoy it
Message 831 of 1,275
Papagaiou
Aspirant

Ouah you are fast.

What it will change for me if I now install your addon? Is there some cups properties directly accessible from the interface then?

Would it be possible to make an addon for Crashplan and Google Cloud Print?

Thanks for your contribution to the RDN community.
Message 832 of 1,275
super_poussin
Virtuoso

I also add pdf support in 1.0.1 version 🙂 you will be able to start stop cups from interface and have abutton to launch it from frontview
Message 833 of 1,275
Papagaiou
Aspirant

Great work.
Did you check that Airprint was also working with the addon?
Message 834 of 1,275
super_poussin
Virtuoso

it works from my iphone 5s in 7.1
Message 835 of 1,275
Papagaiou
Aspirant

What is the recommended way to install your addon as .deb ?
Message 836 of 1,275
super_poussin
Virtuoso

from gui using the uplaod menu under apps
Message 837 of 1,275
super_poussin
Virtuoso

Message 838 of 1,275
F_L_
Tutor

MattyShack wrote:
Genie Apps don't always seem to install properly and some should be free due to opensource code.

###################################################################
###################################################################
### Editor: Matty Shack
### Document Version: 1.0.0
### Publication Date: 24-November-2013
### OS: 6.1.4 (tested with ReadyNAS Pro 6)
### PURPOSE: Provide instructions to install UseNET Apps onto the ReadyNAS x86 running OS 6.1.4
### All installed apps will be registered to display as a standard app

This Guide will help you Install:
Python [2.7.3]
Php5 [5.4.20]
phpMyAdmin [4.0.9]
Plex Media Server [0.9.8.10.215-020456b]
SABnzbd
SickBeard
CouchPotato Server v1
CouchPotato Server v2
HeadPhones
Maraschino
OwnCloud (Uses GIT ~ PHP source and not deb files -> this means no dependency conflicts during install)
SpotWeb
PyTiVo

Guide can be found here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1y_OP ... sp=sharing

Hope this helps.

Seems like a great guide Matty Shack! Many thanks, I will use it after the required factory reset for 6.1.5.
Message 839 of 1,275
masammut
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
audiokaas wrote:

I forgot to update the bios, can I use the old addon or do i revert and use the add-on

You don't need to downgrade.

# apt-get update && apt-get install dmidecode && apt-get install flashrom

Download the add-on and extract the contents of it, extract the contents of the files.tgz then run the flashrom command mentioned in the install.sh script (modifying it to point to the path where you put the ROM.

Hi, I have a an RNDP6350 upgraded to OS6 and I forgot to update the bios (thinking the Raidiator update would have done it automatically)
bios_ver.log is saying i have "product_version=10/03/2008 FLAME6-MB V1.6" so I assume I need an update.
Will you guide me what I need to do and where to get the files from?
Thanks
Message 840 of 1,275
MrCyberdude
Tutor

Just started reading this incredible thread.

1. Is the effort worth it?
2. Is it low risk in terms of data loss risk?
Message 841 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

1. You can downgrade if you don't like it (I can PM you a link to an image to downgrade if you like. I might even post a link at some point). You should maintain a regular backup anyway

2. If you backup important data regularly it should be low risk. If you run into issues the community here will do its best to help.
Message 842 of 1,275
MrCyberdude
Tutor

I'm definitely interested in upgrading and down grading potential, but I need to read 57 pages of threads before I know what I need to do.

I browsed by a comment about the bios needing upgrading first so I put the brakes on, is there a recommend link to help shortcut all the reading,
not trying to be lazy but is there a better starting thread than the start of this one? as it has grown huge.

I am looking at buying my 4th ReadyNAS and have been looking at the 516 and 6HDD Raid6 but I need to read a little more.
Message 843 of 1,275
chirpa
Luminary

Maybe we need to grow this thread: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=73874
Message 844 of 1,275
mangrove
Apprentice

Right now I can hardly see a point for normal users in being a beta tester for an unfinished system. The next update will require a factory default to fix a BTRFS bug, for example.
My points from the beginning has been:
1) OS6 was far from finished when released
2) BTRFS wasn't a very smart choice as the main file system
Events are fully validating those points. Oh, except for a few apologists, of course.
Message 845 of 1,275
chirpa
Luminary

Yes. Since the OS name changed from RAIDiator to ReadyNASOS, would have been nice to use a realistic versioning number. At least ReadyDATA started out at a proper 1.0.0. ReadyNASOS should be around 1.0.3 by now. Still a very immature release as many have commented.
Message 846 of 1,275
tadgy1
Aspirant

mangrove wrote:
The next update will require a factory default to fix a BTRFS bug, for example.

Whosaidwhatnowhuh?

I've recently upgraded my Ultra4 to 6.1.4 (which obviously involved the factory reset), and now i'm going to have to factory default AGAIN for 6.1.5?

Can I ask where you read/saw that? I'd like some info on it, and - if you happen to have it - some info on the BTRFS bugs you mention?

FWIW, I share the concerns over BTRFS. As a Linux user of more years than I care to remember, i've always stuck with the mature and reliable ext* filesystem. The claim that BTRFS is reliable and production ready seems a little premature. But, there's little point complaining about it now - Neatgear have engineered OS6 to use it, so nothing we say here is going to change that. The key is going to be for the community to find ways to avoid data loss or filesystem issues because of it.

Having a much more up to date Linux system underneath is a great positive for people who want to tinker with what their NAS can do; so i'm glad of the upgrade for that. But BTRFS worries me, i'll admit.
Message 847 of 1,275
F_L_
Tutor

tadgy wrote:
mangrove wrote:
The next update will require a factory default to fix a BTRFS bug, for example.

Whosaidwhatnowhuh?

I've recently upgraded my Ultra4 to 6.1.4 (which obviously involved the factory reset), and now i'm going to have to factory default AGAIN for 6.1.5?

Can I ask where you read/saw that? I'd like some info on it, and - if you happen to have it - some info on the BTRFS bugs you mention?

FWIW, I share the concerns over BTRFS. As a Linux user of more years than I care to remember, i've always stuck with the mature and reliable ext* filesystem. The claim that BTRFS is reliable and production ready seems a little premature. But, there's little point complaining about it now - Neatgear have engineered OS6 to use it, so nothing we say here is going to change that. The key is going to be for the community to find ways to avoid data loss or filesystem issues because of it.

Having a much more up to date Linux system underneath is a great positive for people who want to tinker with what their NAS can do; so i'm glad of the upgrade for that. But BTRFS worries me, i'll admit.

More info here: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=73537&start=45#p411589
Message 848 of 1,275
darshan
Aspirant

Hello there,

first: I didn't read the post properly.
second: I am an idiot.

Now, long story short: I upgraded to OS 6.1.4, which was very easy. Thanks for that. But I didn't realize that when you guys said "all data" it literally meant everything in the hard drives (my thoughts were more or less along the lines of the settings and whatnot).

So now I have a fully functioning ReadyNas Ultra 4 with apparently no data in it.

I am knowledgeable enough to know that the data is still there, as no low level formatting has happened. But I am not sure if there is an easier way than a proper data recovery process to get this information back.

I am trying to boot back to 4.2.24 with a USB, but any further suggestions are accepted (or you can ignore me, which I would understand that too considering how idiotic I am).

thanks
Message 849 of 1,275
darshan
Aspirant

ok, managed to downgrade to 4.2.24, but obviously now wants to rebuild the x-raid2 setup.

any suggestions if I can rebuild the x-raid2 setup without creating a new volume (which then I am guessing will destroy data).
Message 850 of 1,275
Top Contributors
Announcements