× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

OS6 now works on x86 Legacy WARNING: NO NTGR SUPPORT!

ClubChapin
Aspirant

Re: OS6 now works on x86 Legacy

mdgm wrote:
Backup your data, Install the optional add-on, then do the OS6 in three steps.

Excellent, thank you.

Should I do this with or without drives installed? They are new drives, not the 4.2.x drives.

In another thread, it was recommended to reboot with 1 redundant drive, then add the 2nd.

With 3 4TB drives (and then a 4th for dual redundancy) how long should this take to build the volume?

Thanks again, Pete
Message 1176 of 1,275
schalliol
Aspirant

Good tidying, mdgm! ClubChapin, what do you mean a 4th for dual redundancy? XRAID2 should do RAID 1 with a single drive and then be able to survive any disk dying at capacity. If one loses two (dual failure) you'd be toast in most circumstances.
Message 1177 of 1,275
ClubChapin
Aspirant

schalliol wrote:
ClubChapin, what do you mean a 4th for dual redundancy? XRAID2 should do RAID 1 with a single drive and then be able to survive any disk dying at capacity. If one loses two (dual failure) you'd be toast in most circumstances.

I've got my 4.2.26 Pro set up with 6 x 1.5TB drives in "RAID Level X-RAID2, 6 disks (with dual redundancy)", I think similar to Raid 6, but expandable.

I'd like to set up the same with OS6. Someone suggested setting up 3 x 4TB drives Xraid2, then adding a fourth to add dual redundancy. At least under 4.2.x.

At anyrate, I am verifying my data backup and plan to upgrade tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks, Pete
Message 1178 of 1,275
schalliol
Aspirant

Nice. I didn't know there was that option.
Message 1179 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well there's a few ways to do it:

1. Put all the disks in and do a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything)
2. Go to System > Volumes in the Dashboard
3. Click the X-RAID button and disable X-RAID if it is not disabled already by clicking on the X-RAID button and confirming you wish to disable it.
4. Destroy the volume
5. Create a new RAID-6 volume (best to still call this "data" - no quotes)
6. Click the X-RAID button to turn X-RAID back on
7. If you wish recreate the default shares and settings you could do this too

Or with X-RAID disabled you can choose to have the next disk added convert it to RAID-6, I think. I'm not sure of the steps for this, but I know it has been done. I'm hoping to look into this next week.
Message 1180 of 1,275
Iridabike
Aspirant

Installed 6.1.9 RC on my Pro 6 :

1)The fan now no longer gives the constant too slow or stopped warning but it has a slightly annoying hunting noise as it keeps switching speed when the system is not loaded. Is there anyway to dampen the response or set it so the speed changes are more gradual and not such a step change? As can be seen in the graph the control is not stable when lightly loaded. Assuming the fan control is based on a PID controller does anyone know where I can increase the integral part?

2)Bonjour to osx is much improved.

3) LCD dimming seems to be broken.
Message 1181 of 1,275
ClubChapin
Aspirant

Setting up OS6 now. Seems to be following the script.

Is there a recommended size of system Backup Snapshot space that I should reserve on the new vol? Default setting was 10GB. I used 100GB, which is the largest option.

I presumed as the vol grows, this may require more space and is not configurable once the vol is completed.

Hopefully, the Pro will continue to work with larger and larger drives, Although moving from my 4.2.26 with 6 TB to my 4 TB drives, it will be quite a while before I outgrow the 16 TB. Maybe 24 TB drives will be cheap at that time. 🙂

To update, the upgrade has gone as expected. OS6 looks great. Nice selection of apps available. Can't wait to dive into it a little deeper.

Thanks for all of the help ans assistance.

Next up, adding a dual redundant drive to the xraid.
Message 1182 of 1,275
StephenB
Guru

ClubChapin wrote:
...Is there a recommended size of system Backup Snapshot space that I should reserve on the new vol?...
It's been a while since I did a complete setup, but I don't recall OS6 asking that question.
Message 1183 of 1,275
ClubChapin
Aspirant

ClubChapin wrote:
Next up, adding a dual redundant drive to the xraid.

I was able to set up the redundant drive (raid6).

The procedure was to turn off x-raid (seems like x-raid 2 is gone now) and destroy the default "Data" volume. At that point, I created a new, raid6, volume and turned X-raid back on.

It is building the new vol now. About 12 hours to build it with 4 x 4TB drives.

Is there anything else I should set or look at with OS6?

Is there anything I can do about the fan situation, or am I best to just turn off fan alerts and keep an eye here?

Should I run the antivirus? Are there other apps I should consider?

I'll take further questions elsewhere, so as to not clutter this thread with off topic information.

Again, thanks for all your help!

Pete
Message 1184 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Are you running the 6.1.9 RC? If not, update to that as that may help with the fan alerts.
Message 1185 of 1,275
ClubChapin
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Are you running the 6.1.9 RC? If not, update to that as that may help with the fan alerts.

No, will try this. Searching for updates does not locate it. (I wouldn't expect it to until they release it.)
Message 1186 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It is here: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=154&t=72282

When a production update is available you would be automatically prompted to update. Though new builds might not appear on the update server at the same time as elsewhere.
Message 1187 of 1,275
ClubChapin
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
It is here: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=154&t=72282

Thanks. That seemed to work. So far, no fan alerts.

Is there somewhere to set the power behavior after a power outage? IE turn on or remain in last state or remain off?

Pete
Message 1188 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

No, the default state after a power outage is controlled via the BIOS.

What model do you have again?
Message 1189 of 1,275
ClubChapin
Aspirant

Is there a way to tweak bios settings?

I have a Pro6 Business. I think it is the 200 series.
Message 1190 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you download the logs, what is the date in bios_ver.log ?

If you get a VGA header cable and connect a VGA display and also connect a USB keyboard and mouse you can edit some BIOS settings.

I think editing the power behaviour after a power outage would be O.K. but some other things obviously shouldn't be changed.
Message 1191 of 1,275
ClubChapin
Aspirant

Thanks, will give this a shot.
Message 1192 of 1,275
ClubChapin
Aspirant

ClubChapin wrote:
That seemed to work. So far, no fan alerts.

Spoke too soon. I was having fan alerts every 12 or so mins before I installed 6.1.9. They seemed to stop, but after 18 or so hours, they resumed.

I think this is just an annoyance. I have turned off the alerting.

This isn't actually bad fan behavior or anything to be worried about, is it?

Thanks, Pete
Message 1193 of 1,275
dannieboiz
Aspirant

Re: OS6 now works on x86 Legacy WARNING: NO NTGR SUPPORT!

I just installed this on a 4200 V2. Everything seems to be working fine so far. Have a couple questions.

Under system/volume, it's showing an image of RN312 with only 4 bays. the 4200 has 12 Bays. Does this number change once I populate all the drives? I only have a single drive in there at the moment. The system overview does recognize it as a 4200
Message 1194 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I believe the 8-port SAS/SATA controller in the 4200 is not supported (though I don't have one to check). Consequently you may wish to put 4.2.26 back on: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=75198

Or somehow see if you can find and compile the necessary drivers (if possible).
Message 1195 of 1,275
schalliol
Aspirant

ClubChapin wrote:
ClubChapin wrote:
That seemed to work. So far, no fan alerts.

Spoke too soon. I was having fan alerts every 12 or so mins before I installed 6.1.9. They seemed to stop, but after 18 or so hours, they resumed.

I think this is just an annoyance. I have turned off the alerting.

This isn't actually bad fan behavior or anything to be worried about, is it?

Thanks, Pete

I haven't seen any fan alerts on 6.1.9[RC8] on a Ultra 4 Plus with 3 7200RPM drives.
Message 1196 of 1,275
dannieboiz
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
I believe the 8-port SAS/SATA controller in the 4200 is not supported (though I don't have one to check). Consequently you may wish to put 4.2.26 back on: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=75198

Or somehow see if you can find and compile the necessary drivers (if possible).

I believe the 4220 is similar to the 4200 and it has 12 bays. I put a random drive into other slots and it seems to pick it up. I'm gonna add a few more drives to see what happens. But the image doesn't change, it still shows an RN312.
Message 1197 of 1,275
dk0r
Guide

I had trouble getting X-RAID2 with dual redundancy enabled on a Pioneer Pro running OS 6.1.9 [RC8].
Here is a separate thread describing the problem: [SOLVED] X-RAID2 disabled on Pro Pioneer? -- OS6.1.9[RC8]
Message 1198 of 1,275
dk0r
Guide

I had trouble gaining network access to restricted shares on a Pioneer Pro running OS 6.1.9 [RC8].
Here is the separate thread describing the problem: [SOLVED] Failed Network Access on Pioneer Pro -- OS6.1.9[RC8]

My conclusion is that OS6.1.9[RC8] still has some substantial bugs..
Message 1199 of 1,275
andy_vdg
Guide

I'm having a problem where the Shares don't show up in the Admin GUI.
I've posted it here: Shares not showing in Admin Web GUI OS6 on Ultra6
Any help would be appreciated.
Message 1200 of 1,275
Top Contributors
Announcements