× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OS6 on ReadyNAS 3200

paviles
Aspirant

OS6 on ReadyNAS 3200

Is it possible to run OS6 on a ReadyNAS 3200 and if so are the steps documented somewhere?

Thanks

Paul
Message 1 of 20
chirpa
Luminary

Same as other 4.2 models: viewtopic.php?f=161&t=78265
Message 2 of 20
paviles
Aspirant

Thanks so much, it worked perfectly!
Message 3 of 20
paviles
Aspirant

One odd thing is happening.

I enabled NFS and setup a Volume to connect to a VMware server. I loaded the Storage on an ESX host as you would normally do. Started a vmotion of a VM and perhaps a few mins later the server just crashed apparently and NFS stopped responding.

I could ssh to the server, but could not find anything wrong in the logs.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Paul
Message 4 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What version of ReadyNAS OS?

What version of ESXi?

Can you try with a new share that has bitrot protection and snapshots disabled. Please also lower the NFS thread count lowered to 1 or 2. Perhaps also enable async.
Message 5 of 20
paviles
Aspirant

I have the 3200 off right now, but it is the latest version available for OS 6.

ESX is 5.5.0,1892794. I have not selected anything fancy, no bitrot or snapshots at all. NFS threads was the default of 6 if memory does not fail.

It used to work with the stock OS before the OS 6 upgrade.

The weird part is that I don't see anything at the OS level in the logs.

Paul
Message 6 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?
Message 7 of 20
paviles
Aspirant

send them to the email address mentioned on the Sending Logs page?
Message 8 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes
Message 9 of 20
paviles
Aspirant

Ok let me duplicate the issue and will send you the logs.

Also just curious, in other NAS's I have been able to assign multiple IP addresses as aliases so you will have for example 2 nics as a bond using 802.3AD LACP. Then I could assign an NFS share to different IP's like:

share10 = 172.16.1.10
share11 = 172.16.1.11
share12 = 172.16.1.12
share13 = 172.16.1.13

This way you balance the connections to different IP addresses and can use the interfaces a bit better. I did not see a way to assign multiple IP addresses to the unit. Is it possible?

Thanks

Paul
Message 10 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You can bond the NICs, but I don't think assigning I.P.s as aliases is supported.
Message 11 of 20
paviles
Aspirant

Ok was able to duplicate the issue, the following screen shows the ESX host can ping the device OK, but as you can see ESX is not seeing the NFS share anymore. This is not an issue with ESX as I have other NFS mounts pointing to a Centos server running NFS as a NAS.

Take a look at http://picpaste.com/3200-NFSIssue-MFWJBQ3R.PNG

BTW, the software version is 6.2.2 and have all stock CPU and Memory.

It actually crashed badly, I cannot get logs and it comes up with an error saying "Device is Offline"
Message 12 of 20
paviles
Aspirant

Ok I did get the Logs and send them via email.

Thanks so much!

Paul
Message 13 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You have quite a range of disks installed.

Under System > Settings > Services, lower the NFS thread count. 16 is huge. It should be much lower e.g. 2.

We do have beta firmware available: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=154

If all else fails you can put 4.2.x back on the unit: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=75198
Message 14 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 15 of 20
paviles
Aspirant

Did the upgrade, reduced the NFS threads to 2 and doing another test. Seems to be better as I think by now it would have crashed.

Will do more testing. Is there an upgrade path for memory? I think the unit has 4 and can support up to 8 and also can it have more Network cards?

Thanks

Paul
Message 16 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You can replace the memory, but not all memory is compatible. Get memory that matches the specs and layout of the original module as closely as possible. Be sure to run a few passes of the memory test before trusting the memory. Note that it is possible that incompatible memory might pass the memory test.

There was a card to add a few extra gigabit ports (taking the number from 2 to 4) but I don't think that is available anymore.
Message 17 of 20
paviles
Aspirant

Is there a file that contains the network configuration? I have looked in /etc/network/interfaces but it is empty.
Message 18 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We use connman in OS6
Message 19 of 20
paviles
Aspirant

Got it /var/lib/connman
Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors