× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OS6 on legacy Pro 6

Westyfield2
Tutor

OS6 on legacy Pro 6

Was going to reply to an existing thread, but it won't let me...

ReadyNas Pro 6.  Running with 4GB RAM and a Core 2 Duo E7600 (3.06 GHz) in it.

Now that Plex have decided to stop new releases for OS4, I'll finally need to make the jump to OS6.

So:

1. Backup
  2. Download the prep4tor6 bin
  3. Upload it like an add-on, but don't reboot
  4. Download R4toR6 bin
  5. Upload it using the ReadyNAS web gui firmware update
  6. After you upload the addon/firmware and reboot, it will update the firmware and start a factory default.

What is the latest version to use?  In the directory the most recent ones I see are:

• R4toR6_6.5.1.bin
  • R4toR6_latest-beta.bin
  • R4toR6_latest.bin  

Are these right?  Or is there "Get this particular version that's best for a Pro 6 and don't get a later version as it doesn't work as well" or something?

Model: ReadyNASRNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

All those point to the same build at the moment if I recall correctly. I don't think I updated the beta one to point to beta firmware yet.

After upgrading if your fan won't spin up you may need to do e.g.

# echo "1000" > /etc/frontview/min_fan_speed_override

# systemctl restart readynasd

We have a change coming in 6.6.0 which should address this.

Message 2 of 5
Westyfield2
Tutor

Thanks.

Once on OS6, do I continue to get new firmwares by a back-door method?  Or is it only the initial OS6 install that's back-door, and upgrades from then on are through the normal OS6 way?

Message 3 of 5
Supertramp11
Luminary

If the R4toR6 bin takes you to 6.5.1, then I would install 6.5.0 over it.

6.5.0 works very well on my PRO 6, where as 6.5.1 caused my fan speeds to mess up and made me go back to 6.5.0.

In fact I think that 6.5.0 is the best FW I ever had on my PRO 6 in the context where I use it only as a LMS music streaming server.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Westyfield2 wrote:

Once on OS6, do I continue to get new firmwares by a back-door method?  Or is it only the initial OS6 install that's back-door, and upgrades from then on are through the normal OS6 way?

Once OS 6 is running, the system can get updates using the normal Netgear update server.  Alternatively you can manually install OS 6 updates w/o any special procedures.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements