× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OSX 10.8 simultaneous share access (afp/smb)

logikil
Aspirant

OSX 10.8 simultaneous share access (afp/smb)

Hello all,

I have an environment that consists of an iMac running OSX 10.8.2 connected to a ReadyNas NV+ running RAIDiator 4.1.10.

My biggest issue is trying to get an AFP/SMB share mounted that will allow simultaneous access from multiple users on the same system. Mounting via Finder and connect to server is not working as the share is "owned" by the first user to mount it. Attempting to mount the share from another user ends up with a share similar to this /Volumes/Media/music-1. This causes problems with iTunes, etc. I have tried using automount to get the shares mounted on boot, rather than at login, but i am still running into the same problem. The moment one user accesses the share they seem to own it. Is there a way to use either automount, fstab, etc to allow for simultaneous access to the same shares. Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 7
sphardy1
Apprentice

Use NFS with the automounter - documented here: https://ssl.apple.com/business/docs/Autofs.pdf
Message 2 of 7
logikil
Aspirant

So i do have that guide and have been using it to at least point me in the right direction, but setting things up is still not quite working. Here is what i setup:

created file auto_media with same permissions as auto_home and auto_master. Inside I have added the following line:

* 192.168.x.x:/Media/&

Modified the auto_master file to include the following:

/Volumes/Media auto_media

run sudo auto mount -vc

It says that /Volumes/Media is mounted. However when i go to browse there is nothing in the directory. On the NV+ i have give write capability to the IP address of my iMac. I can use finder to point to the NFS share so I know its setup to work correctly. I am not sure where exactly my syntax in the two files is going wrong.
Message 3 of 7
sphardy1
Apprentice

logikil wrote:

I created file auto_media with same permissions as auto_home and auto_master. Inside I have added the following line:

* 192.168.x.x:/Media/&

Doesn't seem correct - should read for specific paths:

Media    192.168.x.x:/Media

Note that the file paths are all case-sensitive so ensure your Share does actually have an upper-case first character

The wildcard implementation of the same is:

*    192.168.x.x:/&
Message 4 of 7
logikil
Aspirant

For some reason the wildcards do not seem to be functioning. You were correct about the case. The media directory is actually "media." I am able to point directly to a music directory that exists underneath the media directory, but if i use the wildcards none of the underlying folders underneath media are showing up the way they should.
Message 5 of 7
sphardy1
Apprentice

When using wildcards, shares are not mounted until accessed so won't show in finder
Message 6 of 7
logikil
Aspirant

sphardy,

Thanks for the reply....it was the access issue. The moment i touched the directory it became visible. I am left with one final problem. The primary purpose of using the NFS share was to allow access to my media directory from multiple accounts in iTunes. I was able to set the NFS share as the primary folder for my iTunes Library. However I ran into one final issue. I went to download a movie to the directory from inside of iTunes. When i attempted to do so iTunes threw up an access error. Effectively a permissions problem. I have the folder set to both write enabled and root enabled from the NAS. I can write to the directory from within finder no issues. Anyone have any ideas on this last piece?

Additionally the permissions for the NAS folder on connection are:

drwxrwxr-x 14 1002 _pcastagent 16384 Mar 10 20:33 media

i'm not entirely sure how to interpret owner 1002 and group _pcastagent, but given that everyone does not have write permissions i suspect thats part of my issue, but if thats the case i am curious why a write from finder is working.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements