× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Off site backup with 2 readynas question

the_pilgrim1
Aspirant

Off site backup with 2 readynas question

Hello

I have some questions regarding backing up from one readynas to another 'offsite' readynas.

I Have a 80mb database that is on a readynas duo I back it up to the 'backup' share every night. I also have a readynas NV+ offsite (at home) that I would like to get the backups from the Duo automatically every morning. My questions are;
1 is this possible ?
2 should I be using 'snapshot' and if so how and when?
3 can anyone point me to information that will assist me in setting this up?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards

Pilgrim
Message 1 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

1) Yes. See http://www.readynas.com/download/documentation/support/rsync_howto_nastonas.pdf
You could use super-poussin's community Rsync over SSH add-on (http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=29688), but performance may be quite slow.
2) Ideally yes, but the Duo doesn't have the snapshot feature. So long as you're not accessing the database during the backup, not using the snapshot feature should be fine.

Ideally, I would suggest upgrading to a couple of Pro Series devices and using ReadyNAS Replicate (http://www.readynas.com/replicate), but that may be out of your budget for now. It's still worth keeping in mind as an option for the future.
Message 2 of 7
the_pilgrim1
Aspirant

Hi mdgm

Thanks for you comments. I will attempt to set everything up at the weekend.

regards

Pilgrim
Message 3 of 7
eea123
Aspirant

mdgm,

You mention Rsync as slow on the SPARC side. Is this with the initial backup or always? I have a ReadyDuo with 1Tb (2x1TB RAID Level 1) with around 200Gb in a SOHO environment (2 users with plans for 4 to 5 total). Critical / core files are around 50Gb with resource / reference files and Windows Backups making up the balance. Everything is broke out by directories, i.e. N:\Library\... equals reference files that could be obtained again but are still nice to have at hand. My site has a seperate building that I could string an Ethernet cable to (CAT 5E <150') and provide a second NAS on our local LAN. In yours (or anyone's) experience would this work in an acceptable manner for weekly (or nightly) backups?

Thanks,
Ed
Message 4 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Give it a try with the hardware you currently have. Rsync is CPU intensive and the Duo has a slow CPU. If it works for you then great. If not, then you can upgrade to a faster NAS, transferring your data across your network to the new device.

When I was referring to slowness, I was referring to using the Rsync over SSH community add-on which requires extra CPU overhead due to the encryption. This can make things unbearably slow. Without SSH, it may still be slow, but bearable. 50GB is only a tiny amount of data and I would expect it would work fine for your needs for nightly (or weekly) backups.

Using NFS for the first backup (the full one) is a good idea. This is fast. Then you can change the backup job properties to use Rsync for the incrementals and to verify the first backup.

If you don't already have the second NAS, I would recommend getting a Pro 2 (RNDP2000), backing up your data from the Duo to the Pro 2, then making the Pro 2 your main NAS and using the Duo as the off-site backup.

The Pro 2 has the snapshot feature, so you can backup a snapshot of your data rather than a live copy (good if people might be changing files at some point during the period when you backup your data).
Message 5 of 7
eea123
Aspirant

A new Pro 2 sounds like a good approach. In the interim, we've picked up 2-1Tb USB HDs to try a "sneaker-net" rotation between work and home on a weekly basis. At 60.99 each, I hope it'll be a good short-term bridge.
Message 6 of 7
jck_co_im
Aspirant

have 2 Nas drives in separate buildings, nightly backup over LAN (350 meters/1,160ft of cable), works very well.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements