× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Open Bay...1 new Drive or 2?

CHasenpflug
Aspirant

Open Bay...1 new Drive or 2?

I have a ReadyNAS NVX Pioneer Edition which currently has 3 x 1TB drives in a single X-RAID2 configuration. I'm about 75% full so am starting to shop for new drives. Is buying a single 3TB drive for the 4th bay going to net me any increase, or will I need to get at least 2 drives before the additional space becomes useable in X-RAID2?
Message 1 of 3
TeknoJnky
Hero

Re: Open Bay...1 new Drive or 2?

you need 2 drives to expand

well, to elaborate you WILL get extra space, but it won't be the whole 3tb worth.

You will get about 1tb worth expansion (950ish gig).

Then once you replace one of the other existing 1tb drives with 3tb, you will get 2tb (1800ish gig).
Message 2 of 3
PapaBear1
Guide

Re: Open Bay...1 new Drive or 2?

I was in a similar situation except I had 4x1TB ST31000528AS drives. I had a redundant volume of about 2.8TB (you should have about 1.9TB). I then acquired 2xHitachi HDS5C3030ALA630 for vertical expansion. When I installed the first, I did not expect, nor did I receive any volume increase. After installing the second, no increase was received initially. After the resync of the volumes, you should get the same message I did that expansion will continue after a restart.

I actually went through this twice since I have an NVX Pioneer (backup) and an NVX Business Edition (primary). As I recall, the Pioneer expanded after one reboot, and the BE took two. Afterwards, I now have a redundant volume of 4.5TB. This is the result of the second layer of 2TB gross, 1.8TB net.

The expansion went as planned. I would recommend that you make sure you have a current and complete backup before proceeding. It is never a bad idea to maintain one. I chose to upgrade my backup system first to make sure the expansion did not throw any curves at me. But, one never knows, and it is always comfortable to have a good backup and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements