× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Overwriting a NAS when storage is full or a percentage full

deredman
Aspirant

Overwriting a NAS when storage is full or a percentage full

NETGEAR ReadyNAS RN214 4 Bay Diskless Personal Cloud NAS

Is there a setting for overwriting files when the storage is full or a percentage or amount of memory is reached or full?

I want to use this NAS as a cloud backup for video recordings from a CCTV DVR and overwrite the information instead of deleting manually.

Thanks

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 6
DEADDEADBEEF
Apprentice

Re: Overwriting a NAS when storage is full or a percentage full

It's not a setting in the NAS itself but most likely a setting in your CCTV/DVR software

Message 2 of 6
8ohmh
Guide

Hi, so far I am understanding: You want to use the RN 214 as Storage like an endless recorder for video streams? Mhhm the easiest way would be to use an external usb disk and to attach it. Otherwise you have to use the ssh console and to get into deep ReadyNas OS Linux internals and program a shell script, which - so far I see on your reputation - would be end into fatal situation - and then you have either to use a expensive recovery company or to reset your readynas to default (which in fact is also fatal for you). So far there is no simple solution for that what you want.... (Oh wait just another "guru" will you tellin you that's wrong, just to get some reputation - But believe me, this is currently not possible easy)
Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@DEADDEADBEEF wrote:

It's not a setting in the NAS itself but most likely a setting in your CCTV/DVR software

I agree.  There's no way I can think of to do this in the NAS.  If the videos are stored as separate files (using motion detection), than it would be possible to write a script that deletes the oldest.  But that is not the same as overwriting the oldest.  

But your surveillance software likely does have some controls over retention of space.  If it supports continuous recording, it likely would have a space (or time) limit, and start overwriting the oldest video when that limit is hit.

Also, you'd want to be very thoughtful about enabling snapshots on the share used for surveillance.  The snapshots could end up very large.

Message 4 of 6
deredman
Aspirant

Thanks for your response. The DVR only supports sending videos to the NAS, not settings like overwrite.
Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@deredman wrote:
Thanks for your response. The DVR only supports sending videos to the NAS, not settings like overwrite.

Is it recording continuously into one file?

Or is it sending a bunch of files over time (and you just need to delete the oldest ones every now and then)? 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements