× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: PC to Pro 4 backup denied due to permission denial on one or more fies

TMcL
Tutor

PC to Pro 4 backup denied due to permission denial on one or more fies

Hello, 

I need just a bit of help, please. I feel that I am soooo close! I've been reading the forums for two days to try to figure this out.

I don't know if it is Windows Credentials or what. I'm sharing everything I know about my system to see if please someone can help me! 

Thank you in advance for your support! TMcL

PC crashed on New Year's Eve with outlook errors. Permissions etc. I could no longer handle it, so I first messed it all up then reinstalled windows - wiping all my data (I use Carbonite and all was backed up). I finally figured out to not use carbonite for the pst file because it takes so long to back up I start to get errors when outlook and Carbonite try to access it simultaneously. (that was the whole start of that problem before I messed everything up) Any way the key here is that I rebuilt Windows 7 on laptop and renamed my Laptop but kept my user name the same. 

Finally have laptop going again and finally - after 5 years - Im biting the bullet and trying to automate some copy jobs using Frontview Backup from pc to Pro4 - for short term backups.

Next I will attempt the Pro4 to USB backups - rotating between USBs to keep at least one offsite. 

Again I am using a mixture of Carbonite and Dropbox for the truly valuable stuff (photos). 

Now I'm down to the "smart stuff" - outlook pst files (mine is almost 9G is size) and music. 

I cannot get my simple backup job using Frontview to pull one folder off my networked pc and store it on NAS. 

Error: Reason for failure:

Error encountered copying data from remote source path //Tammy-HP7/Users/Tammy/Documents/Outlook files ==> /backup//new try due to permission denial on one or more files.

My setup is:

ReadyNas Pro 4

Raid 4.2.28

Security Mode:USER

4 Users - Chris, Tammy, Lisa, Donnie

1 Group - users has Chris, Tammy, Lisa, Donnie, admin (I was having some file access problems two laptops ago and just tried this.But never removed)

Shares - data, media, stuff and backup - all shares CIFS 

CIFS for backup share
default Read/Write (wanted it read only but trying to get it to work)
enabled Automatically set permissions on new files and folders.
enabled Do not allow ACL changes to be more restrictive than this
For new file and new folder permissions - Group Rights: Read/Write and Everyone Rights: Read/Write

Advanced CIFS Options

Advanced Share Permissisons

Owner: nobody

Group: nogroup

owner, group, everyone rights  all read/write

enabled/checked Set ownership and permission for existing files and folders in destination... 

Laptop Win 7 - named Tammy-HP7

Backup job

Source: Remote: Windows timestamp

Host: Tammy-HP7

Path: Users/Tammy/Documents/Outlook files

Login: Tammy

Password: -  empty - I don't use password. My husband and I each have a login on same laptop but neither use password>

Test Connection says Successfully Connected

Destination: 

Share: backup

Host: - empty greyed out

Path: /new try   --- I made this subfolder in backup

Backup option: 

"After backup is complete, change ownership" enabled/checked 

When I hit go - I get error above. 

I have downloaded all the big logs and looked through everyone. nothing more than the same error appears anywhere. No individual file names as causing problems - in fact no particiular file names at all. just the error. 

PC Permissions on 

folder Users/Tammy/Documents/Outlook files right clicked properties/security has 

Four Group or user names:

• SYSTEM
  • Tammy (Tammy-HP7\Tammy)
  • Chris (Tammy-HP7\Chris)
  • Administrators (Tammy-HP7\Administrators)

all four of the above have same Allow permissions to everything except Special Permissions which is not selected for any of them. 

5 files in folder - each individual file has same 4 users as abolve listed with same permissions when looking at right click properties/security

I am so confused between permissions on pc and shares and users on nas! 

Can anyone help me please? Just ask if you need more info! 

Thank you!

TMcL

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@TMcL wrote:

1. What type of permission does a folder/file on my PC need to give such that the Pro can access for backup?

The NAS backup jobs include the ability to enter the PC account name and password.  If you set them to match your PC logon, then the NAS should be able to access everything on the PC that you can.  I believe you do need a local account (not a microsoft account).

You can also create an account on the PC for the NAS to use.

The PC has both network permissions and file permissions (just like the NAS).  Both network and file permissions need to be set to allow access.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

For backing up Outlook's files you would be better to use software running on your PC especially if you intend to backup Outlook's files whilst they are in use.

Message 2 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:

For backing up Outlook's files you would be better to use software running on your PC especially if you intend to backup Outlook's files whilst they are in use.

I'd add that backing up the windows user folders is tricky, because there are subfolders and links in there that Windows locks down with special permissions.

I use Acronis TrueImage to back up my PCs (not the new cloud versions with the recurring costs).  There are other PC backup programs out there.  I think those are better options for backing up the Windows OS (and the full \users\ folders).  Any backup program that supports network shares will work with the NAS.

Message 3 of 7
TMcL
Tutor

Thank you mdgm and StephenB.

I guess I can use Synctoy which I use for business in other ways. It seems to work, but I'd rather not because I don't leave it running. I'm on edge of working memory with the work I do - graphics, spreadsheets, mulitple programs etc. 

Anyway, with your help, I'm part way there.

With your suggestions - partially - I have a file being backed up from my pc to my Pro. Yeah! 

To get the backup to work, I made a test folder with a test file under c:\ and gave  - read/write to Everyone for folder and file

But I really need to understand the permissions my Pro needs to do a backup from a pc in general. 

Everyone t is not realistic in my real world. I have files on my pc - documents, financial spreadsheets, etc - which - although is on a home network - I do not want others to have viewing access - let alone write! I don't care to have my kids' guests digging into my files, etc. 

So I guess my question is:

1. What type of permission does a folder/file on my PC need to give such that the Pro can access for backup?

2. Is there a way to give those permissions to the Pro and not Everyone? For example, is the Pro a "user" on the system? It is definitely a Host on the system. 

3, Also, does it matter that I am logged into Frontview as admin when I run this job, but admin is not a user in my user selection for folders on my pc? I wouldn't think so as in the future I won't be logged in to the Pro at all when this runs. ... hopefully!

Thank you for your time! TMcL

Message 4 of 7
TMcL
Tutor

I should also specify that I have no intention of backing up Windows OS or User folder as a whole. 

I made the mistake of backing EVERYTHING up once. Now I realize I really only need my personal files. 

My music is on the Pro - I'll setup a USB backup for that. My photos are in Carbonite and will have a USB backup regularly also. 

Mostly this is documents. 

Thanks again.

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@TMcL wrote:

The NAS backup jobs include the ability to enter the PC account name and password.  If you set them to match your PC logon, then the NAS should be able to access everything on the PC that you can.  I believe you do need a local account (not a microsoft account).

You can also create an account on the PC for the NAS to use.

The PC has both network permissions and file permissions (just like the NAS).  Both network and file permissions need to be set to allow access.

Message 6 of 7
TMcL
Tutor

Thank you all so much. 

As I take care of all these things - backing up data, etc - the weight and worry is lifting off my shoulders! 

And it is nohwere as daunting knowing the Netgear community is behind me!!! 

Gracias to all!

TMcL

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements