× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PLEASE,I HOW DO PREVIEW FILES LIKE WORD DOCUMENT OR EXCEL SHEET ON ReadyNas. i was

dayo
Aspirant

PLEASE,I HOW DO PREVIEW FILES LIKE WORD DOCUMENT OR EXCEL SHEET ON ReadyNas. i was

DEAR ADMIN,

I JUST BOUGHT A NEW READYNAS 3130 FOR MY BUSINESS. PLEASE,I HOW DO A PREVIEW FILES LIKE WORD DOCUMENT OR EXCEL SHEET ON MY READYNAS. I WAS ABLE TO VIEW PICTURES. I WILL LIKE TO DO SAME FOR OTHER FILES LIKE PDF, WORD, EXCEL, VIDEOS, ETC. WITHOUT HAVING TO DOWNLOAD THEM ONE AFTER THE OTHER.

I ALSO WANT TO PASSWORD MY DEFAULT HOME FOLDER SO THAT ANYONE TRYING TO ACCESS IT WILL BE PROMT TO IMPUTE THIER USERNAME AND PASSWORD.

THANK YOU.

Model: ReadyNAS-3100|ReadyNAS-3100
Message 1 of 7
lundmilo
Luminary

Re: PLEASE,I HOW DO PREVIEW FILES LIKE WORD DOCUMENT OR EXCEL SHEET ON ReadyNas. i was

@dayo wrote:

DEAR ADMIN,

I JUST BOUGHT A NEW READYNAS 3130 FOR MY BUSINESS. PLEASE,I HOW DO A PREVIEW FILES LIKE WORD DOCUMENT OR EXCEL SHEET ON MY READYNAS. I WAS ABLE TO VIEW PICTURES. I WILL LIKE TO DO SAME FOR OTHER FILES LIKE PDF, WORD, EXCEL, VIDEOS, ETC. WITHOUT HAVING TO DOWNLOAD THEM ONE AFTER THE OTHER.

I ALSO WANT TO PASSWORD MY DEFAULT HOME FOLDER SO THAT ANYONE TRYING TO ACCESS IT WILL BE PROMT TO IMPUTE THIER USERNAME AND PASSWORD.

THANK YOU.

Hello,

Which OS are you using on your computer?

How do you access the files?

And please stop using uppercase only.

Message 2 of 7
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: PLEASE,I HOW DO PREVIEW FILES LIKE WORD DOCUMENT OR EXCEL SHEET ON ReadyNas. i was

Hello dayo,

Welcome to the community!

Using upper case means you are shouting, we usually use upper case on a word that we want the reader to focus on.

I suppose you are accessing your NAS through ReadyCloud, correct me if I am wrong, please. Try locally accessing the NAS instead, please check this article. Regarding home shares, each local user you create gets his/her own folder which is also called a home share that is named after the name of the user account you create and only the owner and the admin will be able to access it. See How do I set network access rights to shared folders article for setting up permissions on shares.

Regards,

Message 3 of 7
dayo
Aspirant

I am using windows 10. i usually accessing the files by typing in the ip address or readyNashost name on my file explorer address bar. although, i have mapped it as a drive on my computer. All i want it to enable password and username to acess the home folder. i was able to do that successfuly when i created a new share folder. Unfortunately, i am unably to do such in the default home shared folder.. Kindly please help me out.

Thank you.

Message 4 of 7
dayo
Aspirant

Thank you for your responds. However, I am accessing the my Nas through Windows Explorer address bar by typing in my ReadyNas host name or ip address. i also access it via the cloud and Local admin page.

i have checked the article, no info in there to solve the problem. kindly please tell me what to do.

1. can i preview my document, files and video via the local admin page just like i can preview my pictures and navigate through them?

2.  can i anable password for my Home shared folder.

Thanks.

Message 5 of 7
jak0lantash
Mentor

I don't think you can preview word documents from the GUI.

Only the relevant user and admin can access one's home folder. No need for any configuration, this is default behavior (as long as home folders are enabled).

Here is some documentation:

https://kb.netgear.com/23949/How-do-I-configure-home-folders-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system

https://kb.netgear.com/29838/ReadyNAS-Share-and-Permission-FAQ

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/READYNAS_OS_6_SM_EN.pdf

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@jak0lantash wrote:

I don't think you can preview word documents from the GUI.

The Windows GUI in this case, so this is not something the NAS can fix.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements