× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PRO 6 doesn´t recognize disk in slot 1 #26379287

Xibo
Aspirant

PRO 6 doesn´t recognize disk in slot 1 #26379287

Hi guys,

I´m a happy Readynas-User since 2008. My first one- a Duo was replaced with an Ultra 4 and in 2013 I also bought a Pro 6. Both were running fine, but now I have an issue with the bigger one.

After using it for 2 years with x-raid2, filled with 6x 2TB disks (4x Seagate ST2000DL003 FW:CC3D & 2x Seagate ST32000542AS) I wanted to replace three of them with used 4TB Seagate ST4000VN000. To benefit from newer firmware I loaded RAIDiator 4.2.28 in advance and used the old configuration with this FW for several weeks until yesterday.

I splitted the PRO6-backup on my Readynas Ultra 4 and two of the 4TB drives (mounted as external drives via my PC). I want to shift the backup back when my new PRO6-volume is ready and then replace/hot swap the two 4TB one after the other.

After finishing the backup yesterday, I powered the PRO6 off, packed 5x 2TB (slots 1-5) and 1x 4TB (slot 6) in it and made a factory reset. Doing this should enable me to reach the desired 12,7 TB capacity without having any issues with the 8 TB volume expansion maximum and to be able to expand furthermore in the future, if I want to (16 TB is max, I know).

I expected a factory reset to format all disks and wanted to build an X-Raid2 volume with around 9.xx TB.

When the PRO started after factory reset, RAIDar showed me that the disk in slot 1 is missing what wasn´t true (still 2TB sitting in there). The other 5 recognized disks (4x2TB, 1x4TB) synched to an X-Raid2 (dual redundancy) volume with around 5.xx TB space.

During the synch I could access frontview and monitor the process. Under volumes it showed me 5x 2 TB (=1,87 TB) available, but even for the 4 TB disk!? Vendor, model and real size was shown correctly.

It also showed the lastly installed FW 4.2.28.

I abandoned the synch and did other factory resets with different disks in slot 1, but every time there´s no disk recognized there. In RAIDar It doesn´t show a bad disk or so- it just says “no disk” (grey icon).

Perhaps the connector/hardware of slot 1 is broken- but wouldn´t it be a big coincidence if it fails just when I do a factory reset on that Readynas? The SATA-connector still looks fine inside.

Any suggestions besides RMA? Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: PRO 6 doesn´t recognize disk in slot 1

Assuming the disk is inserted properly this would appear to suggest a hardware issue.

If you open a support case please describe the tests you have done. Let me know your case number.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If the slot has failed and if the unit is still under warranty then an RMA would be the solution.

Can you send in a few sets of logs from the system (see the Sending Logs link in my sig) with different known working disks in slot 1? Perhaps there will be some clues in the logs as to what is going on.

Welcome to the Community!

Message 2 of 8
Xibo
Aspirant

Thanks! I sent you some logs a few seconds ago, as described in your link...
Message 3 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Assuming the disk is inserted properly this would appear to suggest a hardware issue.

If you open a support case please describe the tests you have done. Let me know your case number.

Message 4 of 8
Xibo
Aspirant

Ticket nr. is # 26379287 Will call support tomorrow. It´s outside business hours now...
Message 5 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sure.

I see you used the contact us form. Please note that your case will be automatically deleted if you don't make contact within (24 hours, I think) of filling in the Contact Us form.

Message 6 of 8
Xibo
Aspirant

Just want to give a final update on my case... Since it was a hardware problem I got a new device in exchange at last Saturday. Everything works fine so far. 🙂 Thanks for your assistance mdgm and to the other support guys involved. Problem solved... Thread can be closed.
Message 7 of 8
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Xibo,

Thanks for updating the thread. You may now close it or tag it as resolved by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button in one of the responses that you received.

Let us know if you have further questions.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements