× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PRO 6 poor read performance??

StephenB
Guru

PRO 6 poor read performance??

Just got a PRO 6, and started by installing a single Seagate ST31500341AS hard drive as XRAID2. (only spare disk I have at the moment, the real disks are on order). Performance settings are defaulted (write caching on, full data journalling disabled). SMART status is ok, and a read test with a disk diagnostic completed successfully. The PRO is running 4.2.17.

Then I downloaded the Iometer test script (the one Netgear published) and tried it.

I get about 75 megabytes of performance when writing, but only about 42 when reading. I confirmed this with drop-and-drag measurements.

I've tried both ethernet ports, testing with a different switch and with a different PC. Also tried a different ethernet cable. Network stats on the PRO are not showing any errors (and neither is my managed switch).

I am concerned that this might a hardware issue in the PRO, and am wondering if anyone else has seen this behavior?
Message 1 of 21
sphardy1
Apprentice

Re: PRO 6 poor read performance??

To get a baseline performance - first try testing when directly connected. That way if you have performance issues you immediately rule out network effects and narrow the cause down to your NAS, PC or ethernet cable. Also, don't then just assume the NAS is at fault if you still have an issue - it may be, but there are also many such reports on this forum where updated network drivers for instance have had a major impact on performance
Message 2 of 21
StephenB
Guru

sphardy wrote:
... Also, don't then just assume the NAS is at fault if you still have an issue - it may be, but there are also many such reports on this forum where updated network drivers for instance have had a major impact on performance
Ok. I'm not assuming the NAS is the issue, and have been doing all the tests I can think of to rule it out.

Before I tried direct connect, I tried moving the hard drive to my PC (reformating of course), and mounting as Drive V. Then the Netgear test got 122 MB per second both read and write (the actual performance of the hard drive). Then I deleted the NTFS volume, and put it back into the PRO. I also checked network speeds between the two PCs I used for testing. I got > 900 megabits with jperf , so I don't think this is a network driver or cabling / switch issue.

Direct Connect doesn't make much difference. I got about 60 MB read speed, when I reverted back to my normal switched configuration I got in the mid 50s (somewhat better than the original test). Actual results vary some from run to run, so I am thinking there is no obvious proof of a network issue.

And of course 60 MB is still slower than the write speed (which remains around 80 MB), and much slower than the 100 MB read speeds I was expecting (based on the reviews).

So I am still left wondering if there is an issue with the PRO hardware. Temp 1 reads quite high (58 C), temp 2 is a more comfortable 31 C. The drive reports 39 C. Room temperature is about 24 C. Any suggestions on next steps would be welcome.
Message 3 of 21
beisser1
Aspirant

temp1 is the chipset temnperature and 58°C is quite ok. temp2 is the cpu and also ok. drives at 39 are also ok.

do i understand this right? you only benchmark with 1 drive? i never tried only 1 drive, but that could be the reason.

with 3 or more disks (normal setup) you will get proper speeds.

do you have jumbo frames enabled? if so try disabling them.
Message 4 of 21
StephenB
Guru

beisser wrote:
temp1 is the chipset temnperature and 58°C is quite ok. temp2 is the cpu and also ok. drives at 39 are also ok.

do i understand this right? you only benchmark with 1 drive? i never tried only 1 drive, but that could be the reason.

with 3 or more disks (normal setup) you will get proper speeds.

do you have jumbo frames enabled? if so try disabling them.
I started with one drive, I am getting more of course, but don't have them yet. It would be useful to know if that is the issue.

Jumbo frames are disabled, I currently have the MTU set to 1492, since that is what my wifi uses.
Message 5 of 21
beisser1
Aspirant

you could always try viewtopic.php?f=48&t=43747

this addon will run a local disk benchmark on your nas and leaves networking alone.

maybe you can post the output here.
Message 6 of 21
StephenB
Guru

Thx for the link, great plug-in. Is there a similar one that does a network test?

Sequential input (block) 85944 k/s. 10% CPU
Sequential output (block) 114293 k/s. 15% CPU

So the read speed is slower than the write by 30 MB/s.
Message 7 of 21
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I've written a ReadyNAS to ReadyNAS NFS test a while back I don't think I wrote it very well but it gets the job done.

I agree with beisser that testing with one disk in the NAS that would be your bottleneck (if the client PC isn't). Testing with all drive bays full would be best. I'd suggest testing with at least three to four disks in the NAS.

Take a look at the performance expectations article at http://home.bott.ca
Message 8 of 21
StephenB
Guru

-forgot to post the logged Bonnie output - DD Result:59.2MB/s. Not sure what load that represents, but it happens to be about the read speed I get when directly connected to the PRO. When the same drive is connected to the PC directly, Iometer gets 122 MB/s. It would be interesting to hear what other PRO 6 users are seeing with Bonnie.

-I haven't ruled out client NIC drivers, though I am getting lower than expected results on more than one PC. Unfortunately 2 of them are corporate PCs, where I don't have the ability to disable the antivirus software. The third might well have a NIC issue.

-Has anyone measured performance improvements for the basic NAS functionality when the memory is upgraded? I'm leaving the 1 GB as is for the time being, but am curious.

Thanks for the tips, I will update this when I get the additional drives.
Message 9 of 21
beisser1
Aspirant

i have 3gb in my pro.. no improvement unless you run some memory-intensive addons on the nas.

edit: and i get full speed on my pro, but i have 6 disks in the system, not 1 🙂
Message 10 of 21
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

StephenB wrote:
forgot to post the logged Bonnie output - DD Result:59.2MB/s.

As indicated in the article ReadyNAS Performance Expectations that's pretty much what you'd expect from a single hard drive. You need multiple hard disks in both the NAS and the client, or multiple disks in the NAS and e.g. a SSD in the client, to get speeds quicker than that. Of course you could also use multiple disks in the NAS and multiple client machines.

Speeds can be highly variable on a number of factors.

StephenB wrote:

Not sure what load that represents, but it happens to be about the read speed I get when directly connected to the PRO. When the same drive is connected to the PC directly, Iometer gets 122 MB/s.

What size file are you testing with? You should test with a file that is at least twice as large as the amount of RAM in your PC.

StephenB wrote:

It would be interesting to hear what other PRO 6 users are seeing with Bonnie.

I don't have a Pro 6, but you should see speeds multiple times what you're getting when you have more disks installed (and a redundant volume i.e. no resync taking place), particularly when all drive bays are full.
Message 11 of 21
StephenB
Guru

Thanks for your comments.
mdgm wrote:
StephenB wrote:
forgot to post the logged Bonnie output - DD Result:59.2MB/s.
As indicated in the article ReadyNAS Performance Expectations that's pretty much what you'd expect from a single hard drive.
I've read that article, and didn't see any information related to the number of hard drives installed in the NAS.

I see the "60 MB/s disk I/O of most desktop-class PCs" reference (though that number is clearly dated) - is that the number you had in mind? Connecting this particular drive (Seagate ST31500341AS) via e-sata directly to the PC, formating it as NTFS, and running Netgear's iometer script resulted in about 122 MB\s performance for both reads and writes. This is consistent with reviews on the drive (tomshardware.com for instance).

Anyway, if there is something else on how performance varies with the number of hard drives, maybe you can give me a quote to search on or something; as I'm not seeing it.
mdgm wrote:
What size file are you testing with? You should test with a file that is at least twice as large as the amount of RAM in your PC.
So far I am running Netgear's iometer.icf with no modifications. This uses a 1 GB file. I tried a drop-and-drag test with an 8 GB file, and got essentially the same results. I think Bonnie defaults to a 3 GB file, I simply ran the add-on as installed.

The PCs I've used for testing have 2-4 GB of RAM, the NAS has the 1 GB it was shipped with.
Message 12 of 21
StephenB
Guru

Ok, I now have 4 disks installed, which I added one at a time, waited for the volume expansion to complete, and then tested.

Bonnie (add-on disk diag) reported

1 disk - 59.7 MB/s
2 disks - 110 MB/s
3 disks - 219 MB/s
4 disks - 319 MB/s

So the disk throughput definitely goes up as you add more disks.

However, the iometer speed did not change on my Windows 7 machine. No matter how many drives were installed, I still see 55-60 MB/s of read performance, and 80-83 MB/s of write performance. So there is more investigation needed on that.
Message 13 of 21
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What disk(s) are in your PC? Are you using RAID in it? If you have a single mechanical hard disk in your PC that would probably be the bottleneck.
Message 14 of 21
victorhortalive
Aspirant

When I had this sort of problem before it turned out to be outdated NIC drivers.
I was running Win7 32bit using an Intel PRO/1000 PT PCIe.
Even after updating the drivers I found Read speed to be lower than Write speed.

I did manage to get 90MBps Write and 80+MBps Read.

This was to/from a ProPioneer with 5 drives using 9K Jumbo Frames through 2
Netgear GS108tV1 switches and CAT6 LAN.
Message 15 of 21
StephenB
Guru

Thx for the replies.
mdgm wrote:
What disk(s) are in your PC? Are you using RAID in it? If you have a single mechanical hard disk in your PC that would probably be the bottleneck.
I started with one ST31500341AS, and now have 4 ST31500341AS. using XR2. As noted in an earlier post, I added them one at a time (waiting for the volume expansion to complete). The internal "Bonnie" add on measured faster disk throughputs (> 300 MB/s with 4 drives), but the network read speed did not change much.
victorhortaliveson wrote:
When I had this sort of problem before it turned out to be outdated NIC drivers.
I was running Win7 32bit using an Intel PRO/1000 PT PCIe.
Even after updating the drivers I found Read speed to be lower than Write speed.

I did manage to get 90MBps Write and 80+MBps Read.

This was to/from a ProPioneer with 5 drives using 9K Jumbo Frames through 2
Netgear GS108tV1 switches and CAT6 LAN.
The Windows 7 machine is a T410 laptop with an i7 processor. I found a newer NIC driver, and have fiddled with settings - so far I haven't seen much improvement there. I've tried direct connect, but generally find that connecting through my GS108TV2 gives the same results, and is much simpler. Cabling is Cat 5E, but very short (5 feet cables). Jumbo frames help on the Win7 for reads, but seem to hurt it for writes.

One challenge on the Windows 7 system is that I cannot turn off the antivirus stuff (it is a corporate machine, and I cannot change the domain policies).

The Vista machine has a RealTek adapter, I haven't found newer drivers (except for suspicious hits on "driver update" software sites). I can turn the firewall off on that (which does help some).

BTW, is NFS faster? If so, which clients are folks using? What about iSCSI?
Message 16 of 21
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

When I said PC, I was referring to your Windows machine not the NAS.

How many and what disks are in your Windows machine? Are you using RAID in your Windows machine?
Message 17 of 21
victorhortalive
Aspirant

FYI my PC was an i3-540 on a Gigabyte M-ITX mobo using an Intel SSD.
I had much the same I/O results using the mobo NIC - Realtek RTL8111E.

Have you tried changing the Flow Control settings ? I changed them to be active.
I also remember that there were problems with the settings on the switches.

You might also install NetMeter on the PC and have a look at the trace of the data transfers. I found that there was a lot of up/down traffic that caused stop/start behaviour.

It's here : http://www.metal-machine.de/readerror/i ... ;dl=item23
Message 18 of 21
StephenB
Guru

mdgm wrote:
When I said PC, I was referring to your Windows machine not the NAS.

How many and what disks are in your Windows machine? Are you using RAID in your Windows machine?
Oops, sorry I misread it. The T410 is a laptop, it has a single 500 GB hard drive (7200 rpm, but only 60 MB/s). So I can only get useful numbers for it with IOmeter, since if I copy information to the drive, I will be limited by it. I have some esata drives that are faster, but haven't had a chance to plug them in. The Vista machine does not have raid. The C drive is a performance WD 1 TB (forget the exact model), there is also a 2 TB WD and a 1 TB Seagate. All run in excess of 100 MB/s. I also have an XP desktop with 3-4 fast drives, but haven't tried that one for benchmarking. (Also doesn't run raid).
victorhortaliveson wrote:
FYI my PC was an i3-540 on a Gigabyte M-ITX mobo using an Intel SSD.
I had much the same I/O results using the mobo NIC - Realtek RTL8111E.

Have you tried changing the Flow Control settings ? I changed them to be active.
I also remember that there were problems with the settings on the switches.

You might also install NetMeter on the PC and have a look at the trace of the data transfers. I found that there was a lot of up/down traffic that caused stop/start behaviour.

It's here : http://www.metal-machine.de/readerror/i ... ;dl=item23
thx for the pointer on Netmeter. Flow control is on in the NIC cards (and also is enabled in the GS108Tv2). The Vista machine has RealTek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P), the T410 has an Intel 82577LM. IF anyone has suggesting settings for either, that would be useful.

BTW, I get much faster IOmeter readings if I change the number of outstanding transactions from 1 to something higher. So there may be a clue there.
Message 19 of 21
victorhortalive
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:

BTW, I get much faster IOmeter readings if I change the number of outstanding transactions from 1 to something higher. So there may be a clue there.

I had the same sort of problem.
I was using ViceVersa to mirror between two ProPioneers through the PC. If I started two instances then the overall transfer rate increased dramatically. It was as if something was timing out with one instance but wasn't with more than one.
I forget how I solved this, but I reinstalled practically everything inc the OS on the 2 NASs.
Having a misbehaving drive also makes Read rates drop off.
Message 20 of 21
victorhortalive
Aspirant

I remember now that there have been lots of forum posts on this subject. It causes the biggest problems on HD movie streaming. See : https://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopi ... 21&t=44713

Seems to be an interaction between NIC drivers, network settings and some recent bugs in ReadyNAS CIFS firmware.
Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements