× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Pass internet through readynas

Ney
Aspirant
Aspirant

Pass internet through readynas

Hi,

I have an older Ultra 6 using OS6.

I would like to setup so that I can pass through my internet through the NAS to my PC.

So my setup would be ROUTER -> eth0 in NAS, eth1 in nas -> PC

Is this posssible, so my PC can access the network as if it was connected to the router? and if yes pointers to how to set it up?

note this is a temporary solution until I can do some home modelling and get an extra network cable installed, I know it's not a preffered mode of operation.

Model: ReadyNAS-Ultra 6|ReadyNAS-Ultra 6
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

I don't think you'll be able to get this to work.  I suggest getting an inexpensive gigabit switch instead, and connect both the NAS and the PC to the switch.  You should be able to find something suitable for ~ $25 USD.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Generic Linux or here Debian would be easy -> https://wiki.debian.org/BridgeNetworkConnections Trouble might be that Netgear is using some network config tools for embedded systems ....

Even easier would it be on QNAP QTS with it's Virtual Switch 8-)

Message 2 of 6
Ney
Aspirant
Aspirant

@schumaku wrote:

Trouble might be that Netgear is using some network config tools for embedded systems ....

Hence the question! The readynas OS tends to overwrite configs and/or use the utilities already.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

I don't think you'll be able to get this to work.  I suggest getting an inexpensive gigabit switch instead, and connect both the NAS and the PC to the switch.  You should be able to find something suitable for ~ $25 USD.

Message 4 of 6
Ney
Aspirant
Aspirant

Had hoped to avoid the extra devices, but I guess it's an option.

Cheers.
Message 5 of 6
Ney
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I tried to set up a bridge using bridge utils. The moment I added the interface using addif the NAS stopped responding to my SSH and the admin interface stopped responding as well. After a reboot the bridge was deleted .... So yeah, I stopped toying with it and found a gigabit switch instead. That will have to do until I get cables installed properly in the walls 🙂

Cheers for the help.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements