× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Passive FTP backup?

jglazer63
Tutor

Passive FTP backup?

I cannot get my 424 to backup to a passive FTP server.  For some reason I get the following log:

Backup Start Time: Tue Jan 14 2020 8:14:02 AM
Backup Finish Time: Tue Jan 14 2020 8:14:02 AM
Backup Status: Fail: Failure during copy.

Failed to run CWD command! Failure when receiving data from the peer

I am able to log in fine with the credentials using another FTP client but this just won't work.  Why?

Model: RN424|ReadyNAS 424 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 4-Bay
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Passive FTP backup?

@jglazer63 wrote:

I cannot get my 424 to backup to a passive FTP server.  For some reason I get the following log:

Backup Start Time: Tue Jan 14 2020 8:14:02 AM
Backup Finish Time: Tue Jan 14 2020 8:14:02 AM
Backup Status: Fail: Failure during copy.

Failed to run CWD command! Failure when receiving data from the peer

I am able to log in fine with the credentials using another FTP client but this just won't work.  Why?

It looks to me like the NAS is logging into the server, so this doesn't seem to be a credentials issue. 

• What firmware are you running? (please give the actual firmware version).
  • What is the other FTP client you are using?
  • Are you also able to navigate to the backup destination and upload files from the other FTP client?
  • Is the FTP server behind a NAT?

You should probably download the full log zip file, and see if there are errors in there.  Kernel.log, system.log, dmesg.log are generally good places to be looking.

Message 2 of 4
jglazer63
Tutor

Using WINSCP as other client in passive mode

No NAT

Yes i can navigate to the folder in WINSCP.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@jglazer63 wrote:

Using WINSCP as other client in passive mode

I think you mean server?

@jglazer63 wrote:

Using WINSCP 

No NAT

I guess the question here is what could be going wrong.

The NAS backup job uses normal FTP, not SFTP or FTPS. So it won't request explicit encryption or handle implicit encryption either.  So that is one possibility.

Another possibility is related to masquerading.  Some clients (FileZilla is one) can detect that masquerading is missing, and can substitute the correct IP address.  But this would only happen if the FTP server is behind a NAT firewall - which it apparently isn't.

It might also be a simple misconfiguration - for instance if the destination path in the backup job were set incorrectly.

Is the server under your control?  It might be helpful if you could see its logs (it might show you the specific command that is failing).  As I mentioned before, looking in the full log zip of the NAS might also help you isolate it.

@jglazer63 wrote:

Yes i can navigate to the folder in WINSCP.

That's of course part of it.  But can you also upload a file to that folder?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements