× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Performance/Admin Page Access - Does available disk space affect access to the ReadyNas

D_Ace
Aspirant

Performance/Admin Page Access - Does available disk space affect access to the ReadyNas

Hey All,

System Details:

ReadyNas 104 - Current OS: 6.2.5

4x3TB Seagate (8.17 TB Available - currently 550 GB free)

Network a mix of Win 7 Pro/Ult SP1 and Win 10 Pro devices

Networked through Linksys router and switches throughout.

The ReadyNAS 104 has recently been having issues where the device becomes unresponsive (Slow accessing the Admin Page, Music playing, through network share using Window Media Player, seems to be "skipping" on local network.). The system seems to be fine after a reboot (and even then, had to unplug to get to reboot) but it eventually over time starts to show the above characteristics. At first I thought it might have been the OS so reverted back to 6.2.4 but the issues seems to return. Went back to 6.2.5 and again, same issues.

So my question is does the available disk space affect the network performance? I haven't ran a scrub or defrag yet but am a bit concerned about data loss. I know the party line will be "backup before doing anything..." ...typical CYA move but finding 7+ TB of backup space...not going to happen. Is there a "safe" percentage of disk space that should be available for scrub/defrag?

In addition, can I send log files to see if there is something else that could be an issue (i.e. SAMBA - noted some error items in logs

===============================================================
[2015/09/09 06:17:56.684266,  0] ../lib/util/fault.c:79(fault_report)
  INTERNAL ERROR: Signal 11 in pid 30714 (4.2.0)
  Please read the Trouble-Shooting section of the Samba HOWTO
[2015/09/09 06:17:56.825187,  0] ../lib/util/fault.c:81(fault_report)
  ===============================================================

)?

Thanks for any help...

Dave

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Performance/Admin Page Access - Does available disk space affect access to the ReadyNas

Best practice would be to keep volume usage to 80% or less. You may be able to go a little higher and maintain good performance if you do regular volume maintenance esp. balance, defrag (note if using snapshots a defrag will increase your volume usage so you may wish to not schedule defrags if using snapshots).

If you value your data then backups are important no matter how much data you have or what device you primarily store it on.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 10

All Replies
vandermerwe
Master

Definitely too full and this will affect performance, particularly with the 104.

I don't think a scrub or defrag will make much of a difference, what you need is more space.

Is the data replaceable? 

Message 2 of 10
D_Ace
Aspirant

Hi vandermerwe,

Thanks for the quick response...

If you mean re: "replaceable", able to wipe and start over...unfortunately no. I can start to move items off to free up space but what would be the threshold for space availablility to affect performance?

I kind of hate this factor of having to have "free" space for a device to work up to specs. For example, having to have 1TB free to ensure performance and stability is not very good...

What is the defined % or amount of space you need to have free for the device to work optimally?

Is there no firmware solution to this type of issue?

Sorry if I seem to be ranting but thanks again...

Dave

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Well, on OS6 Netgear starts warning at 70% full.  I think there's some margin there.  My RN102 is running at 85%, but I am quite careful on snapshot use - and the NAS a true backup, so if one of the volumes needs to be rebuilt there is no problem.  But I don't want to see it go any higher.

My warnings about backup are not CYA (I don't work for Netgear, and I don't do direct intervention on other folks ReadyNAS).  They are underscoring the simple truth that if you have no backup you will at some point lose your data.  It's only a matter of time.

I have at least as much data as you, and I have two backups of everything.

Message 4 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Best practice would be to keep volume usage to 80% or less. You may be able to go a little higher and maintain good performance if you do regular volume maintenance esp. balance, defrag (note if using snapshots a defrag will increase your volume usage so you may wish to not schedule defrags if using snapshots).

If you value your data then backups are important no matter how much data you have or what device you primarily store it on.

Message 5 of 10
D_Ace
Aspirant

Thanks StephenB, mdgm,

Appreciate the feedback and guidance. Totally understand the backup warnings since I've been bitten and saved by not having/having proper backups.

Will work on trying to purge data to clean up and seeing what I can do to find methods/room to backup the data.

Thanks again and will report back on results.

Dave

Message 6 of 10
D_Ace
Aspirant

Hi StephenB, mdgm,

As a follow up, I've been unsuccessful in freeing up space on the NAS. I've already moved off about 800 GB but the available disk space has not moved from the ~500 GB free mark.

My system is using snapshots and I've gone and deleted select ones but I do have some questions:

1) If I selectively delete specific snapshots (i.e. I kept snapshots that were quarterly based (Mar, Jun, Sept, Dec) and deleted the monthly ones inbetween those months, is that a valid option OR do the snapshots work where they require a direct decendant/parent for them to work (i.e. new snapshots are just differentials from the previous snapshot)?

2) How can I start to regain disk space?

Thanks For your help.

Dave

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

You can selectively delete snapshots (out of order).  But you usually get the most gain by deleting the oldest first.

As you delete them, you should gain disk space right away.

Message 8 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you delete a file you would need to delete all snapshots that contain that file for space to be freed up.

As the oldest snapshot is most likely to contain files that are not in any of the other snapshots or the current data you would typically get the most space freed up by deleting the oldest snapshots.

Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:

If you delete a file you would need to delete all snapshots that contain that file for space to be freed up.

Yes, though this assumes the file hasn't changed.  If the file has changed, then you only need to delete the snapshots for a particular version of the file.  

Anyway, deleting the oldest first until you free up enough space is a good strategy.  I routinely delete the oldest snapshot in each share (I manually limit snapshot retention to 3 months).

Another strategy that works is to just delete all the snapshots on the shares that have the most "churn".  "Churn" comes from files that change or are deleted.  Newly added files are not churn, and don't take any snapshot space.  Usually you have some idea of which shares those are. (And if there is a lot of churn, then its best to keep snapshots off for that share).

Other strategies might work too I guess, but trying to figure out the results of deleting a specific snapshot will likely just give you a headache.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements