× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Performance issues after 6.4 update

EKroboter
Apprentice

Performance issues after 6.4 update

Our 516 unit is behaving so badly after the 6.4 update, constant SMB connections dropouts, checksum errors while copying large files, unresponsive and laggy web interface. During backup jobs to an external USB drive, the performance drops dramatically for the rest of the users.

It's a complete and utter disaster. Get a .1 fix ASAP, I'm getting constant phone calls from our users complaining about our file server, which used to work flawlessly before this **bleep**ty upgarde.

Message 1 of 8
ifixidevices
Luminary

I agree... 6.2.4 was really stable as was 6.3.5RC2 but 6.4.0 is constantly having issues with dropouts here. One moderator likes to blame the choice of drive I use but they worked great under 6.2.4.

It's sad they pushed out such an unpolished firmware as an update. It's not like these are betas, and if anyone has a production server like you do they're in for a world of hurt!

Message 2 of 8
EKroboter
Apprentice

Exactly. I'm using WD Red NAS drives, they all get scrubbed, defragged and balance every two weeks and I keep my NAS in top shape. Only two apps running (Anti Virus and Surveillance), UPS power and load balancing Gigabit links. This shouldn't be happening.

Message 3 of 8
cpu8088
Virtuoso

wd red is just a tag over desktop drives

should use wd re  or red pro

Message 4 of 8
EKroboter
Apprentice

Nevertheless, it's not a drive-related issue. 

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@cpu8088 wrote:

wd red is just a tag over desktop drives

should use wd re  or red pro

Anandtech's review (though dated now) identifies some hardware and firmware differences between the Reds and WDC desktop drives.  I'm quite happy with the WD Reds.  They run cool, are inexpensive, and have been reliable.  Other users here have said the same.

I agree with Ekroboter that this is unlikely to be a drive-related issue.  This is the second OS6 firmware update that created a lot of issues in the field - hopefully Netgear will resolve it soon, and in the meantime will provide free support for the affected customers (home and business NAS lines).  

Message 6 of 8
Absolute1
Aspirant

We've had performance and worst, machines disconnecting from the share ever since the 6.4 upgrade.

So far these are the things we've had to do to get a temporary fix:

1. Disable BitRot
  2. Switch off snapshots
  3. Remove the last week or so's snapshots

All of these issues seem to be down to the process 'btrfs-cleaner' kicking in every time a snapshot is being churned.

During this process (which runs at up to 100% cpu) the admin console is unresponsive and if a user is copying files to the share, they get kicked off the share.

By disabling snapshots, the NAS doesn't need to do this periodic cleanup of the metadata and users can work as normal.

The major downside is no snapshots, so no going back in time.

We have an escalated support case with a Level 3 tech, so hopefully an interim firmware release will be imminent. 

Message 7 of 8
EKroboter
Apprentice

I'm also starting to believe that the problem relies in the snapshot creation process. I've since disabled and deleted all snapshots for the time being and see if the performance improves. The shares that had the most issues were those with hourly snapshots, which is why I think our users we're being kicked ou so often.

Hoping for a quick fix soon.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements