× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Periodic (daily) Time Machine failures

sphardy1
Apprentice

Re: Periodic (daily) Time Machine failures

When you access a share via AFP, the AFP service running on the NAS (called netatalk) creates a number of hidden directories in the root of the share beginning ".Apple". These directories are used to store Mac specific info. In reality, for the TM share that info is not actually needed - but it is created anyway as part of how the service works - and if it gets corrupted, or for example not upgraded properly when the NAS firmware is updated, then it can create issues accessing the share via AFP.

I have seen this happen before, but not specifically resulting in the error you report - but there are posts on other forums that show a similar error to yours and suggest a similar diagnosis. As the info will get recreated when you access the share again via AFP, and that there is no TM specific data stored there anyway, deleting those directories and allowing the AFP service to recreate them would seem a reasonable debugging step

The specific directories to remove (or just move) are:

/c/.timemachine/.AppleDB
/c/.timemachine/.AppleDouble
/c/.timemachine/.AppleDesktop

(It is possible you do not have all 3 - .AppleDB is the important one)

Good luck
Message 76 of 83
pb10006
Aspirant

Thanks for the information, but I'm afraid it did not make much of a difference. I've submitted a ticket with NetGear and when this problem is resolved, I'll post the result.

All the best,
peter.
Message 77 of 83
sphardy1
Apprentice

Try rebooting your mac also as I have often found such changes do not properly take effect until your mac reconnects to the NAS
Message 78 of 83
pb10006
Aspirant

Alas .. no such luck. Let's see what the NetGear tell me. Just to help me understand, you mentioned netatalk before - where does this run? In the Linux kernel, or is it a user-level service? [don't want to be mucking with the kernel on my backup device, but if it is a user-level service, we may want to start debugging this]

cheers,
p.
Message 79 of 83
sphardy1
Apprentice

netatalk is a service - not part of the kernel - and pretty much the defacto standard for providing AFP access to a *nix server. So if you are having AFP access issues, you can be almost certain the issue is with netatalk.

Something else you could try: Via cmd+k connect to afp://ReadyNAS@nas.ip.address and use your TM password to authenticate

Normally, this should allow you to mount the TM share directly and then gain access to the diskimages stored there. Might help to see if that is actually possible and so determine if this really is an AFP access issue as I suspect, or perhaps something more specific to TM

You shoudl then also download your logs and look for the netatalk.log file to see if there is any useful debug info
Message 80 of 83
doc_hodges_gmai
Aspirant

This is an ongoing problem. I'm running the latest Ultra6 firmware and Mac Os. Time machine starts and gets a few hundred mb, maybe even a gig or two and fails. Time machine says there was and error that might be temporary. I have deleted the backup on the Ultra6, run disk repair on the backup volume and read every posting on the forum.

Is Netgear doing anything to support this forum?
Message 81 of 83
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

doc.hodges are you backing up over ethernet or wireless?
Message 82 of 83
cbredesen
Aspirant

I have been seeing this for months with Snow Leopard and NV+ 4.1.7.
Message 83 of 83
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements