× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973
Reply

Re: Permission Problems on an "open" CIFS share.

mcbmail
Aspirant

Permission Problems on an "open" CIFS share.

We have a ReadyNas 1100 with the following settings:
1. Security Mode: User (in our Workgroup)
2. Users are mainly set up for their own personal storage and quotas. There are some shares that only certain users can access.
3. The Share is question is named "Software"
4. It's settings are: Default Access: Read/Write
"Allow guest access: Checked
"Hide this share": Checked
"Automatically set permissions on new...": Checked
Group Rights & Everyone rights: Read/Write
"Enable oplocks for this share.": Checked

I am wanting everyone to have access to this share, but i don't want it visible on the root of the volume. As it stands now only a couple of people can access this share. And my user account is in the same user group as the people that can access. I can view the share and its contents. I can even copy and read files and folders, but nothing past that.

Thanks for the help. I have not been able to get a handle on this device. It seems to be very inconsistent. Shares will work for months and suddenly access will be denied for no apparent reason. (And no settings or permissions have been changed.)
Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Re: Permission Problems on an "open" CIFS share.

Did you try resetting all the existing file permissions via "advanced options"?
Message 2 of 10
mcbmail
Aspirant

Re: Permission Problems on an "open" CIFS share.

Thanks for the reply. I will give that a try for sure. Where exactly do i find that? In the Advanced Options tab for that share i see two possibles. There is the checkbox "Set ownership and permission for existing files..." & "Grant rename and delete privileges to non-owner of files." The latter of which is currently checked.

Also, the appliance is on firmware/OS 4.1.8. I noticed that there is a 4.2.x branch. Is that unavailable to this vintage of hardware?
Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Re: Permission Problems on an "open" CIFS share.

mcbmail wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I will give that a try for sure. Where exactly do i find that? In the Advanced Options tab for that share i see two possibles. There is the checkbox "Set ownership and permission for existing files..." & "Grant rename and delete privileges to non-owner of files." The latter of which is currently checked.
You check the "set ownership..." box (and also set the owner/group/everyone rights above). Then press apply. This is a command, not a state, so the checkbox will immediately clear. It will reset the permissions on every file and folder in the share in the background, and a pop up will appear when it is done.
mcbmail wrote:
Also, the appliance is on firmware/OS 4.1.8. I noticed that there is a 4.2.x branch. Is that unavailable to this vintage of hardware?
4.2.x is for the x86 NAS line (ultra and pro).
Message 4 of 10
ReadySECURE
Apprentice

Re: Permission Problems on an "open" CIFS share.

StephenB is correct about the firmwares. The 4.2.x series is designed for x86 based units, and the Sparc based units have the 4.1.x firmwares designed for them.

Checking the 'set ownership and permission for existing files should reset the share permissions. As StephenB has mentioned, this is a command so it will appear as though nothing happened (cleared or reset fields) but there will be a message that says that the permissions have been set.
Message 5 of 10
mcbmail
Aspirant

Re: Permission Problems on an "open" CIFS share.

Thank you guys. That seems to have done the trick. Any thoughts as to why permissions go south periodically on shares like these? I am the only one on our network that administers this NAS. And i can barely get the thing to work right, so i only change settings when something like this happens.
Message 6 of 10
ReadySECURE
Apprentice

Re: Permission Problems on an "open" CIFS share.

There are so many variables that could cause this to happen (I've seen a Windows 7 machine override security settings). The cause for this particular case is unknown and would be extremely difficult to determine. However, now you know how to correct the issue when it arises in the future (which hopefully it doesn't).
Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Re: Permission Problems on an "open" CIFS share.

readysecure1985 wrote:
There are so many variables that could cause this to happen (I've seen a Windows 7 machine override security settings). The cause for this particular case is unknown and would be extremely difficult to determine. However, now you know how to correct the issue when it arises in the future (which hopefully it doesn't).
Has anyone at Netgear thought about having a "permissions reset" option in the scheduled Volume Consistency Check? Wouldn't help the sparc-based products of course, but might eliminate some of the pain that results from the permission problem.
Message 8 of 10
ReadySECURE
Apprentice

Re: Permission Problems on an "open" CIFS share.

StephenB
I have been thinking about this since you posted. Are you proposing an option for the shutdown section that you can check and have it clear permissions?
Or are you referring to something that is automatic?
I could foresee some big issues with an automatic setting for people who are using "Share" or "User" modes constantly having their permissions reset.
Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Re: Permission Problems on an "open" CIFS share.

readysecure1985 wrote:
StephenB
I have been thinking about this since you posted. Are you proposing an option for the shutdown section that you can check and have it clear permissions?
Or are you referring to something that is automatic?
I could foresee some big issues with an automatic setting for people who are using "Share" or "User" modes constantly having their permissions reset.
I was thinking about letting the admin schedule the "Set ownership and permission for existing files and folders in this share..." command - like volume consistency checks and backup jobs. This would apply whatever owners/permissions were configured in the "advanced options" tab for that share.

It would have to be an option of course, but automatically scheduling the command would reduce the management impact of these cases where the permissions get wrongly set.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1452 views
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements