× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Permssions

module12
Apprentice

Permssions

Hey,

I created 2 users, which created their home folders  I then created a (non-home folder) share, and it defaults to anonymous.  So I changed the permssions so only the admins and users group have read/write under Network Access and only admins and users have read/write under File Access.

This doesn't work (nobody can access there share)  If I then put Folder Owner and Folder Group as read/write under File Access it works, but this seems to include the Everyone groups in the permissions when viewd from Windows - Everyone is unchecked on the NAS.

What's up?

Message 1 of 3
module12
Apprentice

Re: Permssions

Just figured it out.  I changed the permissions after creating some folders and populating them.  If I create a new folder, it has no access for Everyone when viewed in Windows.

Can I reset the existing folders to have the new permissions?  Is that what the Reset permissions thing is for?

Oh, what is the difference between Network Access and File Access?  Is it the equivalent of Windows' Share (Network) permissions and NTFS (File) permissions?

Message 2 of 3
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Permssions

Hi module12,

Resetting the permission of the share includes the subfolders. Check the following articles for the difference between network and file access permissions.

Network Access

File Access

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation