× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Persistent NTFS Permissions

DCA-IT
Aspirant

Persistent NTFS Permissions

ReadyNAS 4312 with OS 6.10.1

I'm robocopying NetApp CIFS shared folders to our ReadyNAS (within a corporate domain) but am having trouble getting the NTFS permissions to copy across, despite the NAS being joined to the domain. When I copy from the NetApp to a Windows file server, the permissions copy over fine but as soon as I introduce the ReadyNAS they don't copy. There are too many folders to go through them one-by-one and sort the permissions manually.

Has anyone experienced this problem or something similar and if so, have you found a solution?

Message 1 of 6
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@DCA-IT

Welcome to the Community!

What command are you using when copying? Are you logged in as Admin? Not really sure if you are familiar with this thread from Microsoft. 

Are you transferring to iscsi?

HTH

Regards

Message 2 of 6
DCA-IT
Aspirant

Hi Marc, thanks for your reply.

I've tried a couple of different combinations of switches, using this website as reference. /COPYALL should include the NTFS security ACLs but this didn't work to the shared folder on the NAS. /MIR did work, however I cannot use it as I do not want the destination directories to be overwritten in all instances. We have a complex folder structure which must be preserved above all else. Using a Windows file server as an interrim location did not work with /COPYALL either.

I'm running these commands as a domain admin with full control permissions on the share root and underlying folder structure over a TCP/IP network, not iSCSI.

I have also seen that running the /SEC or /SECFIX after the fact would reslve the permissions problem but have not tried this yet. It seems like there should be a way forward without having to run two scripts to achieve one task, but my hope could be in vain...

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@DCA-IT wrote:

I have also seen that running the /SEC or /SECFIX after the fact would reslve the permissions problem but have not tried this yet. It seems like there should be a way forward without having to run two scripts to achieve one task, but my hope could be in vain...

Did you try /COPYALL combined with /B?  No harm in adding /SECFIX on the while you are at it.

I think you could also use /SECFIX on a second pass - which should run quickly.  

Message 4 of 6
DCA-IT
Aspirant

Hi Stephen, thanks for your response.

I have not tried the /B switch at all. Can you explain how using backup mode would differ?

I've also seen that running a second pass with the /SEC switch would help, but given the amount of files and folders I have to work on, I would rathern not have to run two scripts when one should do. I would rather abandon Robocopy and find a tool which works fully if that is what is needed.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@DCA-IT wrote:

I have not tried the /B switch at all. Can you explain how using backup mode would differ?

According to the documentation, it allows robocopy to override the ACL.  One of the links earlier in the thread suggested using that with /sec or /secfix.

@DCA-IT wrote:

I would rather not have to run two scripts when one should do.

You wouldn't need two scripts - at most you'd need two robocopy lines in the same script.  I don't know how much more time that would take, but I do know that when I use robocopy for incremental backup it runs through unchanged folders very quickly.

There are of course other tools.  One thing I like about robocopy is that it is quite robust (so it does live up to it's name).

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements