× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Personnal shared folder inaccessible

Rajema
Aspirant

Personnal shared folder inaccessible

Hi,

Each user can not access the specific personnal folder via windows share. For exemple my username is david, i can't access the shared folder \\NasServer\david . It prompts to input again user/password like they don't have permission or bad credentials. But all shared folder are accessible without problems.

Model : 314

Firmware : 6.10.4 HotFix1

Thanks for the help.

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Rajema wrote:

Each user can not access the specific personnal folder via windows share. For example my username is david, i can't access the shared folder \\NasServer\david . It prompts to input again user/password like they don't have permission or bad credentials. But all shared folder are accessible without problems.

This is happening with all users?  Do you have any idea of what changed on the PCs or the NAS that might have triggered this?

You might start by going into the Windows credential manager on your PC.  Delete any credentials for NasServer and recreate them.  When done, reboot the PC and see if there is any change in behavior.

Message 2 of 9
Rajema
Aspirant

It happen to all users. I have already deleted password on Windows credential but no change. I have tested also by creating a new user with a fresh installed PC but it does not resolve the problems. 

The last change on the NAS is the change of the hostname to PvtFs01 mentionned in this discussion I had created but I don't know if the problem had already happenned before this change or not.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Invalid-SSL-Key-Host-Address/m-p/20...

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Rajema wrote:

The last change on the NAS is the change of the hostname to PvtFs01 mentionned in this discussion I had created but I don't know if the problem had already happenned before this change or not.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Invalid-SSL-Key-Host-Address/m-p/20...

You will need new Windows credentials, since the ones using the old hostname won't work.

Did you reboot the NAS after you made that change?

You could look for authentication errors in the NAS log zip file.

Message 4 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

@Rajema wrote:

Hi,

Each user can not access the specific personnal folder via windows share. For exemple my username is david, i can't access the shared folder \\NasServer\david . It prompts to input again user/password like they don't have permission or bad credentials. But all shared folder are accessible without problems.

Are you always logging in as david?  If you are using another name when accessing other shares, I believe including anonymous access, Windows does not allow you to use a different user name for any share on the NAS.  Try using the NAS IP instead of NasServer, as Windows will consider that a different device.

Message 5 of 9
Rajema
Aspirant

I always use IP to access the shared folder. If I logged as David, all shared folders that David has permission (Read/Write) are accessible normally. These shared folders are not accessible anonymously. So user david is logged successfully on the Nas Server. But the problem is only the personnal folder \\IP. Adress\david is not accessible by david. And it's all users who had the same problems.
Message 6 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Rajema wrote:
 So user david is logged successfully on the Nas Server. But the problem is only the personnal folder \\IP. Adress\david is not accessible by david. And it's all users who had the same problems.

Well, the most likely cause of this is a credential problem - and the fact that the password isn't accepted does seem to point to that.

I suggest that you download the log zip file, and look for authentication errors in smbd.log.

Message 7 of 9
Rajema
Aspirant

Users are logged successfully, because all users can access other shared folder. For example, david can access the shared folder Finance with his credential because he have a write access with this share. 

smbd.log content

[2021/04/19 07:53:08.777831, 2] ../source3/auth/auth.c:314(auth_check_ntlm_password)
check_ntlm_password: authentication for user [rrakotonanahary] -> [rrakotonanahary] -> [rrakotonanahary] succeeded
[2021/04/19 08:28:17.886604, 2] ../source3/auth/auth.c:314(auth_check_ntlm_password)
check_ntlm_password: authentication for user [mrajema] -> [mrajema] -> [mrajema] succeeded
[2021/04/19 08:29:30.137811, 2] ../source3/auth/auth.c:314(auth_check_ntlm_password)
check_ntlm_password: authentication for user [jrehasa] -> [jrehasa] -> [jrehasa] succeeded

These users are successfully logged but they can not access their personnal shared folders

rrakotonanahary can not access \\NAS_IP_ADRESS\rrakotonanahary

mrajema can not access \\NAS_IP_ADRESS\mrajema

jrehasa can not access \\NAS_IP_ADRESS\jrehasa

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Rajema wrote:

These users are successfully logged but they can not access their personnal shared folders

rrakotonanahary can not access \\NAS_IP_ADRESS\rrakotonanahary

mrajema can not access \\NAS_IP_ADRESS\mrajema

jrehasa can not access \\NAS_IP_ADRESS\jrehasa

Can you see their folders in file explorer when you log in using NAS admin credentials (they will be in the home folder)?

Do they see any home folders when they access \\NAS_IP_ADDRESS?

You might also want to double-check that SMB is enabled for Home in the admin web ui.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements